What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

Cheapo 20 watters each and very bright and range enough I get flashed often,

More than enough for 65 mph at night, and double what you need for conspicuity

My Nilights have run 40,000 miles without a flicker.  One bracket snapped & they sent me a new pair free fast!

I can't recommend them enough

Not Nilight but more like what I have though much brighter and same size.  What do you have to loose for $35.  I'm getting a set now as my Nilights probably are not as bright given the hundreds of hours of use.  I'll report back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CMGDGXQF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?pf_rd_p=0d1092dc-81bb-493f-8769-d5c802257e94&pf_rd_r=JJQ3KJ690QC7YE8P7X95&pd_rd_wg=uP9zu&pd_rd_w=A8Wf9&content-id=amzn1.sym.0d1092dc-81bb-493f-8769-d5c802257e94&pd_rd_r=5a0e419b-8c14-4fa5-915a-bb1a207c55e5&s=automotive&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwy&th=1

These are not them but a little wider but not as tall

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Auxiliary-Motorbike-Forklift-Warranty/dp/B08W58ZH4W?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Motorcycle-Auxiliary-Motorbike-Forklift/dp/B0BS9GFPTZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Bike is back together. I finished up the wiring for the Clearwaters, added the PC8, rerouted the power for the Garmin, added in the heated jacket liner plug, added an SAE power plug that will power the top box and double as the Battery Tender plug. I also installed new Metzlers. Could not be bother to dig my tire changer out so I paid to have them mounted. First time I've not mounted my own tires in 12 years. I wasn't sure my homemade tire changer would hold them.

I still have to clean the bike up well and lube the chain. I need to also drill a large hole in the top box to install an SAE pass through. I plan to charge phones and whatnot in it. That will be tomorrow.

This has been quite the mad dash to get all this done. I leave on a trip next Wednesday. I should have some pics soon.

• Thumbsup 1

Installed the JK3D seat leveling kit on my 2015 FJ.  WOW, what a difference this simple little mod made.  Best $27 I've spent.  A lot less than the $225 I had to spend today on a new battery when my old one crapped put on me 1/2 way through my test ride!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Bike is back together. I finished up the wiring for the Clearwaters, added the PC8, rerouted the power for the Garmin, added in the heated jacket liner plug, added an SAE power plug that will power the top box and double as the Battery Tender plug. I also installed new Metzlers. Could not be bother to dig my tire changer out so I paid to have them mounted. First time I've not mounted my own tires in 12 years. I wasn't sure my homemade tire changer would hold them.

I still have to clean the bike up well and lube the chain. I need to also drill a large hole in the top box to install an SAE pass through. I plan to charge phones and whatnot in it. That will be tomorrow.

This has been quite the mad dash to get all this done. I leave on a trip next Wednesday. I should have some pics soon.

Consider using Coaxial plugs like used for heated gear. Coaxial transfers power more efficiently,  is easier to use and only requires a smaller round hole. Now I have SAE to but actually made and you can buy SAE to Coaxial cables, and extensions. 

You could also run a high output dual USB A power jack from inside the top box ur with Coaxial lead to the 12v to 5v converter unit.

Lots of options 

Finally finished the 2-month project of prepping the Yamaha MT-10 for serious night work this summer... new 60-degree spot LED lamps from SuperBrightLEDs...

May be an image of motorcycle and text that says "ซ0ก ያን YAMAHA 33"

And swapped out my blasé monochrome LCD screen for this soothing blue version - very nice!

May be an image of motorcycle and text

So what has this got to do with this thread?  I have a standing rule that one of the two bikes must *always* be road-ready - and never have both bikes down for maintenance concurrently.

So now I can begin my 2020 Tracer 900 GT maintenance fun -  the 26,600 servicing, including the very first valve check.  🙄  I admit I am praying to the Roads Gods that the cams don't have to come out. We shall see.

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Consider using Coaxial plugs like used for heated gear. Coaxial transfers power more efficiently,  is easier to use and only requires a smaller round hole. Now I have SAE to but actually made and you can buy SAE to Coaxial cables, and extensions. 

You could also run a high output dual USB A power jack from inside the top box ur with Coaxial lead to the 12v to 5v converter unit.

Lots of options 

I have a coaxial cord to power my jacket liner. SAE only goes to the trunk. Which was powered this morning. I now have the ability to charge phones and headsets in my GIVI Dolomite box. The box has a 3.1 amp dual USB to SAE I got from Amazon. Same thing I've had on my previous bike for years.

Oh, when the tires were put on so were new Aluminum 90° valve stems. Much easier to add air now. The front was particularly difficult before.

I had a PM about this. I did not wire in the Clearwater's high beam trigger. Only the horn trigger. I do not know how to get that working with the bike's neg high beam signal. Yet.

• Thumbsup 1

Went ahead and lowered the bike 15mm front and back. Adjusted spring preload and rebound damping a touch to firm things up. The lean of the bike on the side stand is not an issue and it’s only slightly heavier to hoist on the center stand. Very satisfied as a shorter rider as both feet are almost flat, left foot down is perfect, and it’s great to be able to walk the bike backwards when parking. 

IMG_2983.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, Tim16 said:

Went ahead and lowered the bike 15mm front and back. Adjusted spring preload and rebound damping a touch to firm things up. The lean of the bike on the side stand is not an issue and it’s only slightly heavier to hoist on the center stand. Very satisfied as a shorter rider as both feet are almost flat, left foot down is perfect, and it’s great to be able to walk the bike backwards when parking. 

IMG_2983.jpeg

I’m also on the vertically challenged camp so also lowered it, but I also upgraded the suspension as I found it very poor. 
Not sure how hard you ride the bike, but you might want to cut the ridiculously long centre stand stop rubber as the left side might now scrape. I cut it to around 5mm and it raised the stand by about 10-15mm. 
I also changed to FJR1300 foot pegs with the rubber inserts and much shorter feelers, I still scrape them but only at big leans. Broke the feelers on the stock pegs. 

On 3/24/2024 at 2:33 PM, The Cheese said:

Today I added my newly modified Russell. They lowered it some for me. No pics of that though. I forgot.

I also finished up adding a Whelen Micron third brake. Stainless plate sandwiched between the tag and the tag bracket. I angled it down a bit to tame the brightness some. I really love these Whelens. Added a silicone tag frame as well. Two reflective tag bolts broke on me when taking them off. So I need to wait for more to show up.

ah8GAb1.jpg

zKiH8jF.jpg

Do not copy this design if you have a tail tidy. I went for my first real ride after installing. it did not end up surviving. I think the tire came up and hit it, folding the mount completely backwards. Whelen still works but is all busted up. I'll have to rethink the mount and buy a new light. Maybe something on the side of the tag? Symmetry would be off and bug me terribly tho.  

6lixWPj.jpg

Y34X7zk.jpg

Everything else worked well. My trip didn't go quite like planned. What happened though was pretty dang fun. So glad I found and added the heated jacket plug at the last minute.

Edited by The Cheese
add