What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I removed the seat cover. I'm going to work over the seat and do a new cover for it. Honestly, I'm an oddball, because I found the stock seat to be quite comfortable, especially after the seat slope mod. It still isn't all-day comfortable, so I plan to fix that. 

Maybe add a heating pad while you are at it? Click and scroll down...

https://saddlemen.com/index.php?category_id=0&search=heater&submit_search=&route=product%2Fsearch

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, Heli ATP said:

Maybe add a heating pad while you are at it? Click and scroll down...

https://saddlemen.com/index.php?category_id=0&search=heater&submit_search=&route=product%2Fsearch

I thought about adding a heated element, but decided against it. Mostly, it was timing. I didn't want to wait for it to arrive, then fiddle with wiring. I have a trip coming up next week. I'll definitely add it if I decide to redo the cover. This cover was a big experiment for me. I used Sunbrella for the seating surface, and it is not as grippy as I hoped it would be. I did give it a test yesterday on my commute to work. It felt really good!

ABLVV87dMtb-dbsYJBsBBLVZiNybk5VIUFLeJs9P

I may change out the red/black speedblock for something to compliment the honeycomb pattern more. Then again, I can't see the honeycomb when my butt is covering it!

I am also liking the Dunlop Mutants so far. Yesterday was very wet and cold (switching between rain and snow), and they felt very secure. The handling feels very precise, but there is always that "new tire feel" whenever I put on a new set. I will be testing them out on some good twisty roads in Southern California next weekend.

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 12:15 AM, pilgo said:

I've done the whole ' search ' part on here for information on how to do this mod , I bought one from JK3D about 2 years ago and I can't remember how to fit the bloody thing !! Anyone remember a link to how to do the mod ? I'll carry on searching in the meantime 🤞

Just logged in for the first time in many moons. Sorry @pilgo! Sounds like you have things sorted. 👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 10:02 AM, T9 Jeffrey said:

Installed new Yamaha 34L top box. 
Was able to order matching Redline Red color panels from Flood Marine in Ireland. Not available in the US. 

The 34L is the perfect size for me. Big enough to easily stow helmet if side cases are full or if I leave the side cases at home to split freeway traffic when have to go to LA. 
Also small enough that it is completely behind me so it doesn’t catch extra wind. Aerodynamic. Other cases are too big in my opinion. 

If detach the top case, the new mount actually doesn’t look bad. Extends the top of the rear to match the fender thing.

Question: See pic with side cases installed. Those are the stock black color panels. I can order red ones from Europe. Should I, or is it enough red already?

IMG_9232.jpeg

IMG_9234.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg

IMG_9248.jpeg

Where did you get the colored panels for the top case?

Oil and and oil filter changed. Good clean up after riding yesterday on roads covered with lot of salt.

• Thumbsup 1

20240304_175625.thumb.jpg.3ce1dbc23e0b311f7ca34ede97fa2f48.jpgYesterday I washed the bike and changed oil and filter . It is still too much snow and ice so I rolled it back in my house after.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Got my new starter relay installed (old one defecated itself) and decided to wash the bike before contemplating a long overdue ride.  She felt very heavy on the steering as I wheeled her outside - flat front tyre!

No obvious punctures so I've pumped it up, sprayed some soapy water around the likely spots but all looks good  and will check again in the morning.🤷‍♂️  Maybe the valve didn't reseat the last time I topped up my tyres. 🤷‍♂️

There's always something to keep you guessing.

Anyway she's all clean again.  And before someone asks, the pressure washer was used on a very low pressure.

image.thumb.jpeg.0647ab7a4d2f9e71440b0e481b040ab6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c33e8dd660af5442bc274a3eebf7a931.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I presume the new relay did the trick nicely. Having it burn up is somewhat unusual for a relatively low mile bike. Maybe your elevated temps and a lot of frequent stop - starts had something to due with it.

A clean bike is usually a happy bike, and gives you the opportunity to give it a close-up inspection that could catch minor issues before they become major warts.

The tire air loss is strange and hopefully was an anomaly.

And why is it a she? Yes, it may be weird to ride a guy for some but I think of my bikes as appliances and not a manifestation of a life form. That way no ill will can be interpreted between us if something goes haywire or breaks.  Plus more than likely a failure is due to improper or inadequate maintenance, misuse or just circumstances (bad luck if one adheres to such reasoning).

It is the Engineer's "Way"...

• Supporting Member

Finished up my winter maintenance and then cleaned and polished all of the nooks and crannies. I had a Techmount phone holder/charger that failed after 2 years. It had a cable connection to the phone and the jack wore out. I just replaced it with a Tackform wireless holder/charger. It was twice as expensive but the whole thing is made out of metal and the reviews were stellar so I bit the bullet. The thing is solid and you can turn it on and off if you have a direct to battery hookup. Time will tell if it was worth the investment.

20240305_084741.jpg

20240305_084802.jpg

20240305_084810.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

2nd

your fastest red T9 looks great and good luck with that type of charging on a bike. Does it get hot in direct sun, and does vibration reduce power transfer?

One other thing I noticed in your photos, your garage is WAY, WAY TOO NEAT, CLEAN, ORGANIZED AND UNCLUTTERED!!!

I've had the following notice over my desk since 1977

"A NEAT DESK IS A SIGN OF A SICK MIND"

Not necessarily true but often indicative of at least OCD, etc

At least in my case...

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

2nd

your fastest red T9 looks great and good luck with that type of charging on a bike. Does it get hot in direct sun, and does vibration reduce power transfer?

One other thing I noticed in your photos, your garage is WAY, WAY TOO NEAT, CLEAN, ORGANIZED AND UNCLUTTERED!!!

I've had the following notice over my desk since 1977

"A NEAT DESK IS A SIGN OF A SICK MIND"

Not necessarily true but often indicative of at least OCD, etc

At least in my case...

Actually my desk is a mess. I have been in construction for over 40 years and, if I didn't keep the garage organized, the number of tools I have accumulated would  make it impossible to move or find anything. What you see in the photos is only the tip of the iceberg so I am OCD out of necessity.

As for the charger I just mounted it last night so I don't have a performance review yet. I will say that the phone is held very securely and there is no movement in the mount so I don't think vibration will affect the wireless connection. It is constructed from  aluminum so I don't think it will get too hot in the sun. None of the reviews I read mention any problems in those areas. My initial impression is it is a solid, extremely well made device. It also offers multiple mounting options. Again, time will tell if I made a good choice.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I presume the new relay did the trick nicely. Having it burn up is somewhat unusual for a relatively low mile bike. Maybe your elevated temps and a lot of frequent stop - starts had something to due with it.

A clean bike is usually a happy bike, and gives you the opportunity to give it a close-up inspection that could catch minor issues before they become major warts.

The tire air loss is strange and hopefully was an anomaly.

And why is it a she? Yes, it may be weird to ride a guy for some but I think of my bikes as appliances and not a manifestation of a life form. That way no ill will can be interpreted between us if something goes haywire or breaks.  Plus more than likely a failure is due to improper or inadequate maintenance, misuse or just circumstances (bad luck if one adheres to such reasoning).

It is the Engineer's "Way"...

Yes, new relay is working as advertised and bike cranks as desired now.  Why it died prematurely is one of those mysteries of life.  That's what I'm going with. 🤷‍♂️

Tyre seems to be holding pressure today after being pumped up overnight so can only assume (never good) that the shrader valve hadn't seated properly.  It had been 2 weeks or so that it had been inflated so I could still have a slow leak somewhere.  I can only monitor it now.  Again - 🤷‍♂️

Why a she?  She only gets called a she when she gets temperamental and over the last couple of months she's been a she. 😜😉  Will I be in trouble for saying that?!

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Yes, new relay is working as advertised and bike cranks as desired now.  Why it died prematurely is one of those mysteries of life.  That's what I'm going with. 🤷‍♂️

Tyre seems to be holding pressure today after being pumped up overnight so can only assume (never good) that the shrader valve hadn't seated properly.  It had been 2 weeks or so that it had been inflated so I could still have a slow leak somewhere.  I can only monitor it now.  Again - 🤷‍♂️

Why a she?  She only gets called a she when she gets temperamental and over the last couple of months she's been a she. 😜😉  Will I be in trouble for saying that?!

Good cranking is always nice.

Replace the Schrader valve insert; try some some silicone grease on it during install.

Yes, you are in trouble.  Men were born to be in trouble by women...

• Haha 1

All my cars and motorcycles get a name, and yeah they are all of the female variety. :) My Tracer is Candace, and my Forte GT is Pearl. 

• Thumbsup 2