What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

The handling is so bad at that point, in particular for a front tire. The Michelin's I had on were not close to the belts, but the steering was so bad and had zero feel.......except for feeling like rocks. LOL

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I learned a long ago, in the time before radials when bias-ply and compounds were scary but as good as it got, to bend it in through sheer willpower. 

Kind of like Beckham...

I would rather not deal with the anxiety of worrying when I will hit the cords, especially when I have a trip coming up that is ~1200 miles of riding. I've been there before, and it completely ruins the fun of a trip. 

Installed new Yamaha 34L top box. 
Was able to order matching Redline Red color panels from Flood Marine in Ireland. Not available in the US. 

The 34L is the perfect size for me. Big enough to easily stow helmet if side cases are full or if I leave the side cases at home to split freeway traffic when have to go to LA. 
Also small enough that it is completely behind me so it doesn’t catch extra wind. Aerodynamic. Other cases are too big in my opinion. 

If detach the top case, the new mount actually doesn’t look bad. Extends the top of the rear to match the fender thing.

Question: See pic with side cases installed. Those are the stock black color panels. I can order red ones from Europe. Should I, or is it enough red already?

IMG_9232.jpeg

IMG_9234.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg

IMG_9248.jpeg

Edited by T9 Jeffrey
Downsize pics

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I would rather not deal with the anxiety of worrying when I will hit the cords, especially when I have a trip coming up that is ~1200 miles of riding. I've been there before, and it completely ruins the fun of a trip. 

You know I was only joking don't you

One thing I found with t thirty two is the last three hundred miles disappear very quickly!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

Installed new Yamaha 34L top box. 
Was able to order matching Redline Red color panels from Flood Marine in Ireland. Not available in the US. 

The 34L is the perfect size for me. Big enough to easily stow helmet if side cases are full or if I leave the side cases at home to split freeway traffic when have to go to LA. 
Also small enough that it is completely behind me so it doesn’t catch extra wind. Aerodynamic. Other cases are too big in my opinion. 

If detach the top case, the new mount actually doesn’t look bad. Extends the top of the rear to match the fender thing.

Question: See pic with side cases installed. Those are the stock black color panels. I can order red ones from Europe. Should I, or is it enough red already?

IMG_9232.jpeg

IMG_9234.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg

IMG_9248.jpeg

Very nice. Yes, it's a lot of red. But you might as well go all out, eh?

I spent a lot of time in Canada in my youth

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

IMG_9248.jpeg

Complete the look, I vote for the red panels on the panniers and hand guards.

https://www.colorrite.com/product/yamaha-redline-4156.cfm

After much negotiations with myself. I had my ECU flashed with EDR Performance in Beaverton Oregon. I still have to install it back into the bike.
I also bought some Yamaha heated grips.

Wow, that was what was needed. The bike is handles so much better now. Gone is the twitchy throttle , it's more linear now. Smooth and predictable. Vibration is also gone at all rpms up to 7K and even then it is not all that bad. No more asleep right hand. Fuel mileage suffered only slightly. Lost .5 mile per gallon and conservative speeds.
A mode is really aggressive and I will only need to ride in that mode for some high speed fun.

The heated grips are really nice. I bought a OEM throttle sleave instead of trying to get the grip off the original one.

Edited by Brentinpdx
  • Thumbsup 2

On 12/17/2023 at 5:23 PM, piotrek said:

on-stands.thumb.jpg.1880c652fd794a9388639d6bf792db81.jpg

This is how my bike looks now! 

Im in the process of-

Stiffer fork spring and oil change

Steering head bearing service

New air filter 

Throttle body sync

Seat height / fuel tank mod

Swing arm linkage service

New front sprocket with 1x tooth added

Rubber padded foot pegs

Taller windscreen

New (different) GPS mount 

Coolant drain and fill

SW Motech skid plate

Fenda Extenda fron fender extension

I have other bikes to sevice as well.  Im starting to wonder if winter will be too short... (said no-one ever)

Edited by DT675
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

Im starting to see a lot of these Dunlop Mutant tires going on sport/ tourer bikes (more than just this forum).  For those of you using them, how is wear life compared to traditional sport tires?  These interest me so I dont shy away from some light dirt road riding and miss out on any site seeing while Im out exploring.  I def dont want to make this into and ADV bike though.

• Supporting Member
On 1/18/2024 at 11:47 AM, DT675 said:

...For those of you using them, how is wear life compared to traditional sport tires?  These interest me so I dont shy away from some light dirt road riding and miss out on any site seeing while Im out exploring.  I def dont want to make this into and ADV bike though.

They're not the softest compound, so not really in the 'sport tire" category.  The tread may look more aggressive, but these aren't anything ADV. The design is mostly to aid water channeling, and it works well there. They're okay on packed gravel/dirt, but will clog in the mud/wet dirt (read slide). It's a good pavement/road tire.

This tire is at 9,000km. It is just slightly squared from touring, but it's not bad. The front is cupping/scalloping a bit, but none of this is bugging me just yet.

r-rotor.thumb.jpg.22bf18cd744d9600b2fbcc69a39ea6c4.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Small local ride out to Middlegate station on highway 50 , quick drink and a Snickers then headed home.

Famous for being part of the old Pony Express route , now its a popular destination for local bikers and anyone headed to Sand mountain with their ADV's or 4 wheelers.

Thankfully they sell gas there as I completely mis judged how much fuel I had and I'm not sure I'd of made the 47 miles back to Fallon........😶 

( what is the range on the last bar / flashing low fuel warning ? 🤔

20240121_133137.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/18/2024 at 11:47 AM, DT675 said:

Im starting to see a lot of these Dunlop Mutant tires going on sport/ tourer bikes (more than just this forum).  For those of you using them, how is wear life compared to traditional sport tires?  These interest me so I dont shy away from some light dirt road riding and miss out on any site seeing while Im out exploring.  I def dont want to make this into and ADV bike though.

No worries there, as it most certainly isn't an ADV bike. 

• Like 1