What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

8 hours ago, OZVFR said:

I’ve been thinking of the same thing.

My only concern is the small tank, how do you find the short touring range?

If it had a 20L tank I’d be right on it. 

This cross-plane inline-4 is a thirsty beast, many MT-10s don't see much over 32-33mpg. If the ECU is flashed for performance - highly, highly recommended - mileage falls even further to the 29-30 mpg range.  This results in a Low Fuel light illuminating at ~ the 100-mile mark.

This range certainly doesn't cut the mustard when rampaging throughout the Nevada Basin and Ranges, so an axillary fuel cell was an absolute necessity for my needs:

image.thumb.png.f6b1a5c6f9ed889afb0df993578ef6a9.png

• Like 2

Ha, I just realised that it's not a top box but a fuel cell.

I can't afford to give up that much space.

I reminds me of touring with my mate on his Tuono, we had to stop at every fuel station to make sure he made it. Bloody annoying. The record was fuelling up 10 times over 2 days on our way to Phillip Island which is a 1200km trip.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:26 PM, Warchild said:

I was hoping you would score the MT-10 and then start that life-long love affair with it!  It was exactly one year ago today I procured my MT-10, it has been quite the wild ride:

HISHIG_3.thumb.png.b33dfb674768272db1f641407bae0f8b.png

After adding the 4.3-gal aux fuel cell and proper night lighting, it's a serious Desert Runner:

🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Well, it's really, really grown on me.  I'm a couple thousand km's into it now, and I'm not gonna lie, the *insane* power is intoxicating.  I wouldn't go back now.  And the suspension!  Dear Lord, between the R1 frame and the electronic Ohlins suspension, the stability at speed and at hard lean is outstanding.

What bags do you have on it? How are the mounted?

On 11/24/2023 at 1:49 AM, OZVFR said:

I’ve been thinking of the same thing.

My only concern is the small tank, how do you find the short touring range?

If it had a 20L tank I’d be right on it. 

I'm fine with the range, it's not great, but it's not problematic. worse than the Tracer for sure, but not appreciably worse than the Tenere was. Depends on how you're riding of course, but if I'm not being a hooligan(keeping the front wheel on the ground and just doing 20 over) I can get 240km on a tank, 200 with moderate hooliganism.  I can't think of anywhere I've gone where 200kms is a show stopper, and if I was doing it, I'd just bring a fuel bag (hi there, Giant Loop!)

Stopping for gas a bit earlier doesn't really bother me.  It's a couple minutes and gives me a chance to stretch my legs.

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, Warchild said:

This cross-plane inline-4 is a thirsty beast, many MT-10s don't see much over 32-33mpg. If the ECU is flashed for performance - highly, highly recommended - mileage falls even further to the 29-30 mpg range.  This results in a Low Fuel light illuminating at ~ the 100-mile mark.

This range certainly doesn't cut the mustard when rampaging throughout the Nevada Basin and Ranges, so an axillary fuel cell was an absolute necessity for my needs:

image.thumb.png.f6b1a5c6f9ed889afb0df993578ef6a9.png

Fortunately the second Gen (22+) models get somewhat better fuel economy.   Unfortunately it's still a small tank.  Basically let's you run flashed at non-flaahed range.

On that note, I should have my 2WDW flashed ECU back on Monday.  Weee!

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

What bags do you have on it? How are the mounted?

These are late-gen Givi V37 hard bags, they can not be mounted on a 2022+ MT-10s. Yamaha inexplicitly removed the four hard mount points casted into the rear subframe that the Gen I bikes had. Gen II's have much reduced carrying options as a result. Hepco and Beck has C-bags, Yamaha has soft bag options (if you can ever find them).  Nothing heavy duty like the Givi's, though.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Gronk removal today.

PXL_20231125_203238722.jpg

Remind me, are you going with the replacement part (later version) or the modify what you already have technique?  Interested to hear your impressions of the final result either way. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Remind me, are you going with the replacement part (later version) or the modify what you already have technique?  Interested to hear your impressions of the final result either way. 🙂

I did the easy button and just bought the new basket. This seriously took 15 mins to do.

Night and day difference. I took a quick spin around the block before hand since I wanted to do a quick back to back test.

Feels like it did for the first 3k of ownership before I started chasing my tail trying to find that weirdness gronk feeling.

I have ~20k on my bike.

Also keeping my old basket and going to modify to keep it around as a "just in case." I haven't heard anyone have issues with the new basket but more time/miles my be required but I think we are in the clear.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I did the easy button and just bought the new basket. This seriously took 15 mins to do.

Night and day difference. I took a quick spin around the block before hand since I wanted to do a quick back to back test.

Feels like it did for the first 3k of ownership before I started chasing my tail trying to find that weirdness gronk feeling.

I have ~20k on my bike.

Also keeping my old basket and going to modify to keep it around as a "just in case." I haven't heard anyone have issues with the new basket but more time/miles my be required but I think we are in the clear.

Yet another in a long line of happy customers after doing this it seems.

I bought the new basket too but as yet haven't done the deed as I want to put a few more kms on her before putting her into surgery.

Good to hear that the task was a quick and easy one and you now have a 'new' bike back as a direct result. 👍

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 11/25/2023 at 5:30 PM, kilo3 said:

I have ~20k on my bike.

You have a 20 that came with the S/A clutch.  I have a 15 with a 16 XSR S/A clutch.  Am I correct that the latest clutch PN you used with also fit my steed (he's no dame)?

Also, did you replace any plates while you were at it?  My S/A clutch has at least 40k miles on it (I'll have to check my log), which could mean a midland bit of wear.

Thx

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You have a 20 that came with the S/A clutch.  I have a 15 with a 16 XSR S/A clutch.  Am I correct that the latest clutch PN you used with also fit my steed (he's no dame)?

Also, did you replace any plates while you were at it?  My S/A clutch has at least 40k miles on it (I'll have to check my log), which could mean a midland bit of wear.

Thx

I believe so, your primary is 1RC-16150-00-00 which is the same as the 2020-22 Tracesr, and the updated is B7N-16150-00-00.

No, I only have 20k on the bike and it's a trivial task to do the plates if need be in the future minus the ~ 15 dollar gasket.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

I believe so, your primary is 1RC-16150-00-00 which is the same as the 2020-22 Tracesr, and the updated is B7N-16150-00-00.

No, I only have 20k on the bike and it's a trivial task to do the plates if need be in the future minus the ~ 15 dollar gasket.

Thanks

I'll check into it.  I'm so used to the noise I believe is called Gronk it really doesn't bother me.

How much was the new basket though?

I presume Daz has checked it out as he also has a 15 with a later S/A clutch. 

I may even have over 50k on mine, as I have about 63 now and bought my 15 new in 16 and put in the XSR clutch I think within a year.  So fresh plates may make it taste even better.

36 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

How much was the new basket though?

Going rate from usual suspects is 350 USD, i picked mine up for sub 300 a year or so ago.
I wouldn't bother if you haven't noticed.

• Premium Member

It may be my hearing but I guess I'm used to a racket because I started out on British 125 and 500 singles!

If the gronk doesn't hurt anything but your ears; i.e., not effect performance; I may live with it because it doesn't wrankle my OCD I guess. 😄

20k valve check, yep everything tight on the exhaust.

Do I stack shims or do I have pull the shims that are there and measure?

FYI everything is in mm and I only had thou feeler gauges, hope I that works.

PXL_20231202_180308807.jpg

PXL_20231202_180238504.jpg

PXL_20231202_174056551.jpg

PXL_20231202_180251897.jpg