What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

19 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Well, total loss claim is settled now and paperwork done.  I'm no longer even technically a Tracer owner :(

I miss it!  No shade at the MT10SP, it's a wild ride, but the Tracer was a particularly perfect bike for me.  I have, however, definitely learned what a difference a top shelf suspension makes, though. If I where to go back, I'd swap out the forks and particularly the rear shock immediately.  You just don't know the difference it makes, until you do.

The CP4 is a beast! I test rode an MT10 before purchasing the Tracer. It was unfortunately too short and tame of a ride to really let that monster loose. It wanted to go, go, GO! and we were jus tootling along at 40mph on surface streets. I would have a hard time keeping my license with an MT10 😆

It is time for me to finally pony up for suspension upgrades on the Tracer. I love everything about it, but I know it could be even better... New suspension would make my wife happy, because it would solidify the Tracer as a keeper. I start getting the new bike itch at 4-5 years of ownership. She rolls her eyes when I start talking about "needing" a new bike. Fortunately, every time I get out on the Tracer, I am happy with it again.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

Did a valve clearance check and re-shim on a friends 900GT over the last couple of days, amongst other things.  Data point, 24k kms., one exhaust at minimum, two at nominal, three at .22-.23.  Intakes, 3 below minimum and 3 above minimum, nothing at nominal.

On 10/31/2023 at 4:15 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Was your Tracer suspension completely stock?

Stock, but resprung for my weight (I'm a 300lb guy). 

On 10/31/2023 at 8:48 PM, texscottyd said:

Eye opening, isn’t it?    😀

Shockingly so.  I always thought the idea of dropping $2000 on improved suspension components was kind of crazy, that a couple hundred spent getting it sprung for you got you most of the way there. If I'm being honest, I always kind of thought that the rest was a good portion of "Oh, I spent thousands on these suspension upgrades, so damn rights I believe it's a lot better."  Kind of thinking, yeah, it's better, but is it $2000 better?

Yes.  Yes it is.  

On 10/31/2023 at 10:45 PM, knyte said:

Bittersweet, I am sure.  Was it ever recovered, or...?

Nope.  Didn't expect it to be, though, and the police said as much - basically that if it's not picked up kind of quickly because it was just stolen and taken for a joyride, if it was stolen "for profit" so to speak it'd just be gone and never seen again.  It's just too easy to take a bike, put it in a container/garage/storage locker, ship it out elsewhere or strip it and part it out, or whatever else.  Easy to be out of sight, and away from those likely to be looking for it. 

Both the police and the insurance company (Intact) said there's a huge, huge increase in vehicle thefts overall over the last couple years and motorcycle thefts here in Alberta in particular have shot up enormously. 

I suppose that's not surprising given how easy it is to steal a valuable motorcycle, and how rampant inflation and a housing crisis has put the screws to a lot more people. 

• Thumbsup 3

On 11/1/2023 at 8:58 AM, draco_1967 said:

The CP4 is a beast! I test rode an MT10 before purchasing the Tracer. It was unfortunately too short and tame of a ride to really let that monster loose. It wanted to go, go, GO! and we were jus tootling along at 40mph on surface streets. I would have a hard time keeping my license with an MT10 😆

It is time for me to finally pony up for suspension upgrades on the Tracer. I love everything about it, but I know it could be even better... New suspension would make my wife happy, because it would solidify the Tracer as a keeper. I start getting the new bike itch at 4-5 years of ownership. She rolls her eyes when I start talking about "needing" a new bike. Fortunately, every time I get out on the Tracer, I am happy with it again.

Yeah, I've been on rides on a LOT of bikes now, but it's really different when you're just doing surface streets at or around the speed limit and not able to really push it, particularly with something with that amount of power.  I mean, I did a pretty long test ride on a KTM 1290 Super Adventure, and actively disliked it... But there's a very good chance that I'd have a different opinion if I wasn't smack in the middle of a group of people riding very responsibly with explicit demands that we keep front wheels on the ground.  I feel a similar test ride of the MT10 would be *wildly* insufficient, most particularly because you don't really get the intake noise it makes until around 7k rpm, and unless you leave it in first *and* get up to around 60mph you're just not going to get that and frankly, more than anything else, the incredible intake noise is the #1 reason to get a 2022+ MT10.   Also, the throttle is very heavily restricted stock - even in A mode, you don't get more than 35% throttle (even at WOT) until you're up over 6000rpm, and in first you never get more than ~80% at the most.  You really can't feel what the bike is capable of at those speeds unless it's been flashed.

But yeah, the Tracer is a phenomenal bike.  I really loved it, and would have simply kept mine for a long time.  I occasionally fantasized about other bikes (I seriously eyeballed trading in the Tracer and the Tenere for a DesertX, but I'm not ready to go Ducati for a host of other reasons) but until such a time as they make a Tenere 900, I was going to stick with the Tracer for road riding.  It just does everything so well, and without the normal sport touring bloat. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

Went to see my kid in London ON, and on way back discovered a new data point (49 km on reserve)... 5 km short of the gas station 😖... and 7 km from home. Phew... rescued by my lovely wife. 😬

oog.jpg.4fb398080f22a50b2142c843d64104b0.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

10 hours ago, piotrek said:

Went to see my kid in London ON, and on way back discovered a new data point (49 km on reserve)... 5 km short of the gas station 😖... and 7 km from home. Phew... rescued by my lovely wife. 😬

oog.jpg.4fb398080f22a50b2142c843d64104b0.jpg

That sucks.  What was your total range for the tank?

Cooler weather would be a factor and keeping up with traffic on the 401 (?) wouldn't be optimum cruising speed.

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, Heavy said:

That sucks.  What was your total range for the tank?

Cooler weather would be a factor and keeping up with traffic on the 401 (?) wouldn't be optimum cruising speed.

I blew past a gas station just one exit west (Trafalgar) and took a chance. Paid for it with some well deserved ribbing from my wife. My reserve range varies, but I have gotten 60km once. Not this time. This was my first unscripted out-of-fuel stop. A little embarrassing I admit. 😛

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Installed my new Yamaha rack and 39L top case yesterday, must say that the fit/finish/quality is top notch. Really missed having a proper top case, as last 3 bikes I have owned all had one. :) 

• Thumbsup 3

I can’t really claim I did this today, but I remembered today that I did this one day recently. Does that count?

Installed a new chain brain. About damn time. I hate remembering to maintain chains and previous owner did me no favors.  I ended up taking a wire wheel to the outer links to clean them up.  

This is the Scotoiler eSystem v2 with lube tube.IMG_3321.thumb.jpeg.3d7a8164ccefe3c8d0750122eacc7d5e.jpegIMG_3322.thumb.jpeg.04e16ab5b810d1d9ae9f769439f54abe.jpeg

IMG_3325.thumb.jpeg.3cf496d56c87392228665c67c96b1e37.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

Decided that there was no way in hell that I was going to pay the amount of money they are asking for screens, so made my own. 
IMG_4769.thumb.jpeg.92ba289cd56b27b6fa589b26a3777d8e.jpeg

IMG_4768.thumb.jpeg.56330359feca0d9ca559d7308347c4e1.jpeg

IMG_4774.thumb.jpeg.bb10910225002a7da1dfbfcf68dd2b9d.jpeg

2hrs of work and I’m happy, will have to wait to see how it goes, might need some tweaking. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 12:00 PM, Wintersdark said:

No shade at the MT10SP, it's a wild ride, but the Tracer was a particularly perfect bike for me.

I was hoping you would score the MT-10 and then start that life-long love affair with it!  It was exactly one year ago today I procured my MT-10, it has been quite the wild ride:

HISHIG_3.thumb.png.b33dfb674768272db1f641407bae0f8b.png

After adding the 4.3-gal aux fuel cell and proper night lighting, it's a serious Desert Runner:

image.thumb.png.6dd854edd2c7b26838ce705fca3dd07a.png

image.thumb.png.1e24ccd8d551c47a529f9dc2a8309252.png

image.thumb.png.8454d4cbb6dd771879060568fdd80d16.png

image.thumb.png.a0d81854ae248504bbad04b868c9b214.png

🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Warchild said:

I was hoping you would score the MT-10 and then start that life-long love affair with it!  It was exactly one year ago today I procured my MT-10, it has been quite the wild ride:

HISHIG_3.thumb.png.b33dfb674768272db1f641407bae0f8b.png

After adding the 4.3-gal aux fuel cell and proper night lighting, it's a serious Desert Runner:

🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

I’ve been thinking of the same thing.

My only concern is the small tank, how do you find the short touring range?

If it had a 20L tank I’d be right on it.