What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

But do they help

Every little bit helps, I’m used to traditional sport tourers and full fairings, so the Tracer was a bit of a shock on how bad the original screen was and how little protection there is available. 
Since then I’ve made my own screen which is much much better as it splits the air sideways and has a lot less buffeting. 

I might shorten it a bit as I don’t like having no wind on my face as it gets too hot here. On all my other bikes I always installed double bubble screens which worked well for me as I like to ride with my visor open (sun visor down) until around 100kmh. 
The Tracer originally was atrocious, It’s manageable now but not perfect 

Last year I swapped to a HJC Raphta 70 helmet which has a lot less ventilation than my old Shark Spartan Carbon  

The real problem is that too much protection means no airflow, you can’t have that here in Oz. 

The idea is to deflect the air a bit but not cut all airflow. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Re-installed the dash stay and assembled the rest of the front end. Finally looking like a motorcycle. I threw in new brake pads while at it. Forks were re-valved/serviced late December. Exhaust went back on last week sometime. Waiting for the shock now to come back from the shop. Not much left to do. 🙂

20240106_181033.thumb.jpg.c408480e1f11295882ba228a0802f098.jpg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

The white stuff is flying (and sticking) around here, so I haven't done much with the Tracer in the last couple of weeks. I did just order a new chain/sprockets, and some new shoes. The chain still has a bit more life, but I was ordering a set for my other bike, and I figured I might as well get one to have ready for the Tracer too. For tires, I decided to try the Dunlop Mutants. It has a lot of good reviews, including a glowing endorsement from Ryan F9. They aren't the cheapest tires, but only a few $ more than the Bridgestone T32s I have currently. 

@piotrek it looks like you are running those, right? How do you like them?

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

For tires, I decided to try the Dunlop Mutants.... it looks like you are running those, right? How do you like them?

They are very good tires in my experience. I took them to Florida specifically for wet weather performance, via Appalachia / The Dragon etc., tour-loaded. I rode some more in the cold/wet weather later in the year and they performed very well there too. I would buy again if they went on sale, but they don't seem to be as well priced this year, here in Ontario anyway.

I am confident there will be no riding the Tracer today.  🙄  The Bluetooth outdoor temp sensor sits just outside my garage window.  It's some cold 💩 out there, tbh.  🥶

1degree.thumb.jpg.2ba0f218291834df17ed0e38687ea93a.jpg

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, Warchild said:

I am confident there will be no riding the Tracer today.  🙄  The Bluetooth outdoor temp sensor sits just outside my garage window.  It's some cold 💩 out there, tbh.  🥶

At 15F (before wind chill) on the other side of the mountains from you, we don't have it nearly as bad but still WAY too cold to even think about riding.  I was lucky to have ridden 3x last week so I don't feel too bad.

A week from now we are forecast to be back near 50F.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

At 15F (before wind chill) on the other side of the mountains from you, we don't have it nearly as bad but still WAY too cold to even think about riding.  I was lucky to have ridden 3x last week so I don't feel too bad.

A week from now we are forecast to be back near 50F.

We're not gonna get above thirty two until a week from monday

Screenshot_20240113_140120_RadarX.jpg

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

We're not gonna get above thirty two until a week from monday

Screenshot_20240113_140120_RadarX.jpg

Yikes!!  Those wind chill numbers are brutal.  Stay inside.

• Supporting Member

The foam thing is back under the tank to dampen the roar coming from the air box. I enjoyed it on shorter rides, but I found that it wore me out on long trips 😒. I initially suspected the slip-on, but I think the air box is the more likely culprit. Fingers crossed anyway.

foam_tank.thumb.jpg.39e71b734b67607ae4f118b55ed8371a.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

A friend I’ve known for 40+ years dropped by, so we broke out a couple of the bikes for a ride before the winter storm arrives.   Good times were had by all… 

IMG_9689.thumb.jpeg.f2a87f95cfcff1f97202614561e1d80d.jpeg

IMG_9688.thumb.jpeg.d8a62314185e677c65f3bedf6b2847f4.jpeg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live near KC. Several friends went to the Chiefs game last night. Not very bright imo but none have ssid "oh, it wasn't too bad!" When I sat in tree stands during snow/sleet storms, old age finally has brought wisdom. Less fun, but not hypothermia again!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 1/13/2024 at 2:01 PM, piotrek said:

The foam thing is back under the tank to dampen the roar coming from the air box. I enjoyed it on shorter rides, but I found that it wore me out on long trips 😒. I initially suspected the slip-on, but I think the air box is the more likely culprit. Fingers crossed anyway.

Report back with your findings, I would be surprised if that strip of foam considerably dampens the intake noise.  That's great for you if it does though.

Honestly, the only time I hear the intake roar is when I am heavy on the throttle like riding in the twisties or making a quick pass, I don't notice any roar with normal riding or highway cruising -steady throttle.

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, betoney said:

Report back with your findings, I would be surprised if that strip of foam considerably dampens the intake noise.  That's great for you if it does though.

I am hoping that it will make a difference enough. Induction became noticeably louder when I removed the foam, so it stands to reason this should work in reverse. It is obviously most pronounced at roll-on, but I suspect the rest of the time it is just louder enough to tire me out quicker. We shall see.

• Thumbsup 1

The new Mutants arrived. They look cool, and the tread is pretty deep. I liked the Bridgestone T32s, and got decent miles on them, but I did too much commuting and wheelie/launch practice 😆, so the center wore out with plenty of tread left on the sides. I'm at the wear indicators on the center, so out they will go. 

ABLVV86G4O0n9obkf4DyMVIP03uvNLUwI2HRkDcV

They are "M+S" rated, but I don't think I'll be giving that rating a go. I'll wait until the roads are a little clearer...

• Thumbsup 1