Renthal Handlebars

• Premium Member
Got a tap in the mail today from my new friend Bob and ten minutes later I'm installing the OEM aluminum caps and some black Delrin bar ends I made.  That tap handle is over 40 years old.  I made it in high school!20160620_190643_zpsd3dysswm.jpg20160620_192054_zpsezabtt9a.jpg
I'm interested in seeing some additional close up photos and reading a description of how you installed the SOP standard Vista Cruise throttle lock I spied in your above pics; if in fact that is the make and model, or is it another manufacturer? It appears you installed it down at 6 O'Clock rather than the 8 O'Clock (or higher) position as prescribed in the instructions.  Is that was because of the need to install the screw to keep it from rotating so it did not interfer with throttle function?  I currently am running the Universal Vista Cruise Model # MCUVOO (http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/cruise.aspx?#MCUVYC) because I could not fit the standard Vista Cruise between the inboard end of the right hand grip and the outboard side of the throttle housing with the OEM heated grips (I didnot want to chance trimming the outboard end of the throttle grip so it could be moved away from the throttle housing).  I had to fabricate a plastic retention connector to fix the Universal Vista Cruise's stationing arm because of the required immediate adjacency of the mirror to the throttle house which precluded use of the provided bar clamp (See below photos).  My install works satisfactorily but I'd like a simpler configuration with less parts that can shift and/or fail. 

20160722_120338.jpg

20160722_120647.jpg

20160722_120653.jpg

20160722_122816.jpg

20160722_122915.jpg

20160722_122937.jpg

• Supporting Member
Easiest to just file off part of the plastic alignment pegs. That will hold the controls tightly and still let you adjust things where you want them after the bars are mounted.
I can understand removing the indexing pin from the left control pod (given you state it still clamps "tightly") but what about the throttle housing pod?  It would seem very "problematic" if the throttle housing rotated on the bars even a very small amount. 
Thx 
You don't need the alignment pins for any of your controls.  Whenever I get a new bike, first thing I do is get new, comfortable handlebars, none of which have alignment holes drilled in them.  I just use a Dremmel and remove the alignment pins, all of your controls have their own tightening screws. I have never understood why bikes come set up like this from the factory, why would I want to keep everything in only one position? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I disagree, at least as far as many Honda left and right "control pods" and their throttle housings, as without the index pin they will rotate without the pins unless you add some deterioration resistant tape (sometimes good quality electrical tape or #M blue painter's tape will work). I'd be very concerned about the throttle housing rotating, especially on an aftermarket bar that may be slightly less than 7/8" round.

What bars did you install on your FJ-09 and are you saying your throttle housing is very tight without the index pin?

I don't want to remove the pin and then find the throttle housing is loose.

Anyone else from the peanut gallery?

OK, I'll bite.   None of the dirt bikes I've owned in the past 50 years had alignment pins. So changing bars didn't matter.  On the many street bikes I've owned and replaced handlebars, I've cut the alignment pins and everything worked OK. On the few times I tried to keep the alignment pins with a bar swap, the control alignment was not to my liking with the new bars, so I ended up cutting the pins anyway.
You can't say keeping the pins will cause a problem, but my experience is cutting the pins hasn't been a problem.

• Supporting Member
I disagree, at least as far as many Honda left and right "control pods" and their throttle housings, as without the index pin they will rotate without the pins unless you add some deterioration resistant tape (sometimes good quality electrical tape or #M blue painter's tape will work). I'd be very concerned about the throttle housing rotating, especially on an aftermarket bar that may be slightly less than 7/8" round. 
What bars did you install on your FJ-09 and are you saying your throttle housing is very tight without the index pin?

I switched to Rizoma Ma005 bars.  Narrower and slightly more rearward sweep.   All of my controls are very tight, and as I said previously, I always remove the guide pins with a Dremmel and have never had any issues. 
I have never had Honda, but my brother owns a 919 and he has Renthal street bars and has never used the guide pins either.  I suppose if they aren't 100% tight to your liking, you could line the bars with a single layer of electrical tape under the controls.

In 30+ years of riding and racing (and crashing) off-road bikes in every imaginable weather, never once did I have a 'pin' in the handlebar, and off-road bikes endure a bajillion times more abuse than a street-bike ever dreamed of. 
The only possible reason I can see for a throttle housing pin is some whiney, nanny-state lawyer thought it was a good idea to once again, protect us from ourselves.  Of all the things I might worry about while I'm riding, this is definitely NOT one of them.
Keep Asheville weird!

ive filed the locating pins off loads of switches/throttles over the years, occasionally ive had a problem with a switch housing that was a tad loose, 1 wrap of tape was usually enough to keep a switch steady, ive never had a problem  (yet) with a throttle housing moving

however, on the Tracer i left a small amount of the pin on the throttle (maybe 2-3mm) just as a safeguard, then when you tighten it up, the small protrusion will snug it up tight.

i found it hard to reach the  indicator switch in the pegged position, much easier to reach if moved down a bit

• Premium Member
I think the alignment pins are there so the bozos who assemble the bikes will at least get the controls pointing in the right direction.

Before the pins were there I saw many bikes that were set up so bad that the first thing you had to do was adjust the controls before you could even ride it safely.
BLB

• 4 months later...
Does anyone know good place to buy these in Canada or that will ship to Canada. I tried Fortnine and local stores but no one sells them or cant get them in. I looked at revzilla but the specs for the model is different that on renthal website.

819-01 Black Street Naked

thanks

Does anyone know good place to buy these in Canada or that will ship to Canada. I tried Fortnine and local stores but no one sells them or cant get them in. I looked at revzilla but the specs for the model is different that on renthal website. 

thanks
Royal Distributing is a Renthal dealer up here. Call them up if you can't find the part number in their online catalog.
Awesome, thanks piotrek, I will call them tomorrow.

thanks
Royal Distributing is a Renthal dealer up here. Call them up if you can't find the part number in their online catalog.
Just got email back and they can get them in. Cost is a $130 plus taxes and maybe shipping. Thanks again for information piotrek.

• 1 month later...
did any of your bars have smaller grip diameter?
-i bought a hyperstrada and the grips are so much smaller and more comfortable( i have big hands so this seemed contradictory to me)

i doubt its just the grips cuz stock are usually thin, im also considering changing the throttle tube (R6?)

-thanks

• Supporting Member
did any of your bars have smaller grip diameter? -i bought a hyperstrada and the grips are so much smaller and more comfortable( i have big hands so this seemed contradictory to me)

i doubt its just the grips cuz stock are usually thin, im also considering changing the throttle tube (R6?)

-thanks
The bar diameter of most bars are 7/8", I think Harley's have 1".  Grip thickness can vary a lot but the inside diamerer of the grip is the same. 

• Premium Member
did any of your bars have smaller grip diameter? -i bought a hyperstrada and the grips are so much smaller and more comfortable( i have big hands so this seemed contradictory to me)

-thanks
I use ProGrip 714s' on my Renthal bars, along with https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro-grip-714-dual-sport-grips
a G2 Throttle Tamer https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g2-throttle-tamer-yamaha
Works a treat, and I have large hands also.

• 1 month later...