Renthal Handlebars

• 2 weeks later...
I've ridden several hundred miles since the handle bar swap now and I can say that the Renthal Fatbar is a definite improvement over the stock bar for me. The additional 'sweep' or pull back allows a much more comfortable position for my wrists.

I left the hand guards off as well and I think this cleans up the aerodynamics.

I guess I trust peers here than Renthal's own website.

I did a worksfit on Renthal's site and entered stock MT-09 bars 819-01 (according to Yamaha parts number, FZ/FJ shares the same part)
I entered the street naked' part which happens to be 819-01 as well.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Street Naked works the best, I also added European made Yamaha adjustable risers set all the way back and still kept stock wires, brake line, and clutch cable in place.   Much more comfortable.
Could you provide mfgr data on "European made Yamaha adjustable risers" and source(s)? Thx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
did you have to drill location holes into the Renthal for mounting the switch housings? I'm really interested in doing this swap
Easiest to just file off part of the plastic alignment pegs. That will hold the controls tightly and still let you adjust things where you want them after the bars are mounted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I've ridden several hundred miles since the handle bar swap now and I can say that the Renthal Fatbar is a definite improvement over the stock bar for me. The additional 'sweep' or pull back allows a much more comfortable position for my wrists. 
I left the hand guards off as well and I think this cleans up the aerodynamics.
...just to clarify, is that the Product Code: 819-01 on the Renthal site? happy to know that the wrists don't get hammered, but how has your riding posture improved overall? That is a very nice bar, and looks great on your bike.
819-01 is the Fat Bar Street Naked. I have them, installed the night before a 2000 mile trip. Yeah, I roll the dice, but this time it wasn't much of a gamble, they are great. I also added Vibranators and Pro Grip 714 BK grips, and POOF....vibration gone. I put KTM hand guards on, everything fits beautifully and looks good. 

• 2 months later...
Just swapped for ProTaper Evo Adventure  
I think they works fantastic!
The less sports bike feel but a more upright, steerable reach allows me to do you turn easily!

Bar looks great. What grips are those (look beefier than the usual grips)? If/when I decide to install heated grips that would be a perfect time to do something like this. Kept the stock clutch cable or did you have to change it out for something different?

Those are BMW stock grips.
They works great and I have them on all my bikes for years. I am running stock throttle cable with R1 clutch cable, it is longer than Tracer900's so if you are running everything stock, ymmv with those issues. I cannot comment for heated grips since I have no needs for it where I live, so someone who installed them can advise.
Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
did you have to drill location holes into the Renthal for mounting the switch housings? I'm really interested in doing this swap
Easiest to just file off part of the plastic alignment pegs. That will hold the controls tightly and still let you adjust things where you want them after the bars are mounted.
I can understand removing the indexing pin from the left control pod (given you state it still clamps "tightly") but what about the throttle housing pod?  It would seem very "problematic" if the throttle housing rotated on the bars even a very small amount. 
Thx