Drain plug alternative to Mazda plug

I think it's more about common sense than anything else.

Sure, in theory, large metal bits will just sink to the lowest point in the pan, and not likely get sucked up by the oil pump pickup.
But if you can catch and remove that metal, why NOT do it?

And if putting a set of cheap magnets on the oil filter causes all the metal passing through with the oil to attach to the inside wall of the spin on filter that you then remove and throw away, thus removing the metal from the engine, why NOT do that as well?

And everyone knows chemtrails are just water vapor, the #1 greenhouse gas. ;)

One more thing. Most motorcycles have the oil shared with the transmission and the engine. The dog engagement type gears most motorcycles use do have small metal particles worn off and that ends up in the oil. The gears themselves can wear, and that metal ends up in the oil. The aluminum and other softer metals are not as wear inducing as the hardened gears, but it's not magnetic either, so the filter media is going to have catch it. All the hard bits that could cause wear will eventually get caught up in a powerful magnet if you have them there to catch it.

Common thought is that wear particles are 10 microns or larger. Can you even see 10 microns? Most spin on filters only catch stuff down to about 20 microns. The smaller particles just get pumped around the engine and gears, and causing wear. So, the best option would be a magnetic drain plug, magnet in the oil filter and depth filter media that catches particles do to 10 microns or better.  And we have not even touched on the bypass valve in most spin on filters that when cold, can and does allow oil to bypass the filter till the oil warms up, flushing any debris in the filter right back into the oil. (Of course a magnet would still have the wear causing metals attracted to it, so even with the bypass open the oil will not flush out debris as dangerous as a system without the magnet present.)

The stuff in your oil filter is coming out during an oil and filter change anyway. Magnets do nothing except give you stale information about trends in your engine that are available to you without magnets. You can keep repeating the same myths over and over but it doesn't make it any more accurate than say getting your science education from someone whose only skill is reading a teleprompter ;) 

Exactly what is the myth you are referring to?   
I use magnetic drain plugs because they make it easier to see metal than cutting the filter open.  And magnets do get out metal particles smaller than what the filter can catch.

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member
With the purchase of a FJ-09 just around the corner, looking at drain-plug options and came across this low-profile magnetic plug for the Yamaha R1, no reason it wouldn't work in the FJ-09? 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Oil-Sump-Drain-Plug-fits-2016-Yamaha-R1-90340-14019-00-PSR0206-/311557082474?hash=item488a3fcd6a:g:ppcAAOSwezVW1GZf&vxp=mtr

I didn't get the magnetic version, but yes, the R1 plug is a viable option as well.  I paid about $2 for mine. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

So...these three (edit...four) suggested plugs (Mazda, VW and VW (edit Yam R1)) are all low profile, so we can file/grind down the pan buster, and only the R1 is magnetic? I'll head to the parts store soon, hoping one might be a lower profile than the others.  Has anyone tried the magnetic R1 plug with success?

Has anyone tried the magnetic R1 plug with success?

The oem R1 plug from Yamaha is not magnetic. 
The one on eBay that I provided the link for is.
I found over on the FZ09 site that some used the oem R1 plug on their FZ.

I have magnetic plugs in the oil pan and rear diff on my FJR. For the FJ-09 I have gone this route...I just swung by Northern Tool and picked up one of these. Slap it on the end of the oil filter. 2507222_2000x2000.jpg

That's an option!   Have you cut an oil filter apart to see what the magnet picked up?

After the first oil change at 1K miles there were noticeable "sparklies" in the paste that the magnet trapped. I attribute that to the break in of all of those metal parts setting themselves in against each other. The 2 changes since have contained hardly anything shiny, but a thin film of black residue forms on the end of the oil filter. About the same consistency as the black film I pull off my drain plugs magnets on the FJR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I worked as an auto mechanic for about 6 years and always noticed the metal 'fuzz' on the magnetic drain plugs. One of the above posters is correct in stating that it's all stuff that should drain out with the old oil anyhow.

In replacing transmission case covers and such, you'd be surprised how many vehicles have a big magnetic doughnut on the inside of the transmission pan. I've cleaned a good number of these and it's to keep the magnetic particulates from re-circulating in the transmission and reducing the lifespan of the friction parts.

Since our motorcycles share oil with the transmission and the oil circulates between many friction surfaces, I'll continue to use a good magnetic drain plug to remove the magnetic particulates from circulation between services.

• 3 years later...
  • Supporting Member
On 3/2/2017 at 1:16 PM, superfist said:

metal 'fuzz' on the magnetic drain plugs.

So, just yesterday I began tearing down my FJ in order to fit a replacement alternator cover because I'd marred  it up last fall when I dumped it over one day on asphalt.  Of course this means draining the coolant (good enough time to change that out), so I thought may as well just drain all the fluids when I'm at it.

Anyway, part of this is of course draining the oil.  First oil change since installing a magnetic oil plug earlier this year.  I just about crapped when I found a sort of 'paste' on the magnet of the oil plug.  I cleaned it off with a paper towel, and, sure enough - holding a magnet to the paper towel attracts the two to each other.

Searched this forum and found this thread...having never used a magnetic oil plug before, I didn't realize this might be normal wear and tear ?  I rode about 8000 km's (bit less than 5000 miles) since installing the plug.

Thanks for any input.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, knyte said:

So, just yesterday I began tearing down my FJ in order to fit a replacement alternator cover because I'd marred  it up last fall when I dumped it over one day on asphalt.  Of course this means draining the coolant (good enough time to change that out), so I thought may as well just drain all the fluids when I'm at it.

Anyway, part of this is of course draining the oil.  First oil change since installing a magnetic oil plug earlier this year.  I just about crapped when I found a sort of 'paste' on the magnet of the oil plug.  I cleaned it off with a paper towel, and, sure enough - holding a magnet to the paper towel attracts the two to each other.

Searched this forum and found this thread...having never used a magnetic oil plug before, I didn't realize this might be normal wear and tear ?  I rode about 8000 km's (bit less than 5000 miles) since installing the plug.

Thanks for any input.

Every single magnetic drain plug I have used has done this.  To my knowledge, its normal.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

M14X1.5 IS A COMMON YAMAHA SIZE FOR YOU WITH THE SIDE DRAIN. I STILL HAVE MY ORIGINAL 15 WITH THE SW-MOTO SKID PLATE.

I.E.,: 

YZF-R6 (RJ27)     2016.11                                 87           118         4              sb-210211-S-NA                M 14 x 1,5

FJR 1300 A (RP28) 2016.01                            108         147         4              sb-210211-S-NA                M 14 x 1,5

• Supporting Member

Thanks.  Hadn't considered the clutch plates.  Makes perfect sense.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount