The FJ-09 improves with some upgrades

Like any bike priced near bottom of it's industry category, there are aspects of the bike that certainly improve a weak $pot, if ya know what I mean. Every factory has weak suspension on their under $10,000 bikes, but the FJ-09 is improved over the current fz09. @stoltecmoto and @pattonme have solutions. stoltecmoto has even been used and quoted by a couple of major motorcycle magazines for his FZ-FJ/09 work.

The suspension can be as easy as changing springs for your weight, some also have a revalve job done when changing more than 3 sizes above stock springs.

Throttle/engine fueling issue on USA Models/speed limiter

The USA FJ-09 has been detuned, plus top speed limited and many believe that this detuned tune we get here causes the abrupt and weird throttle and fueling. @2wheeldynoworks tune cures this, takes your bike to the way it was designed to be, beyond euro tracer 09 performance but still within safe fuel/air settings.

@2wheeldynoworks also sells exhaust and exhaust/tune packages where the tune is created around that exact exhaust model.

The ECU flash involves removing it, boxing it up and shipping it to 2wheeldynoworks and they return it 2 day shipping no extra charge during their sale that ends the 30th. Of course, the 2 day shipping part is usa lower 48 only.

We have numerous other vendors to visit that offer great products, service and are picked by me personally because of their service. Those who don't back their products, don't last here very long. No matter how good the product, if the service isn't there, their board wont be here anymore either.

The vendors here have been providing good service to all of our forums members for years.

Every bike has it's weaknesses. Yamaha built us an upright sport tourer with a great triple engine. Suspension/tune/exhaust is the three areas to look at. Seat is next for some. Dirtbike handlebars are also an improvement.

What was your best fj-09 upgrade? Oh and like always, please think b4 you type!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Two of my upgrades tie for first place. I changed the seat first, because I couldn't do more than 100 miles or so on the stock one before I was hurting, and my passenger was suffering from the start. With the Corbin, I've done over 500 miles in a day (2-up) with no complaints from me or my passenger. Then I installed an M4 slip-on and flashed the ECU myself with the tuner from ftecu.com (I did those two together, so I'm counting them as one upgrade.) That eliminated the top speed limiter and the abrupt throttle response while giving a noticeable torque increase. Both of these mods drastically improved the bike. I can't decide which one made it more ride-able for me, so they both get fist place.

I should mention that pattonme has my forks, so the previously mentioned upgrades may soon fall to tie for 2nd place.

1. Best change HAS to be the clutch cable, actuator arm and new levers - sooo much more rideable.  Frankly if you can't change gear and control the clutch it makes the bike unrideable.

Don't get me wrong I did 5500 miles (not non-stop admittedly) before I did mine, but I was getting RSI (I mean proper medical RSI and shooting pains up my left arm) from riding it.

2. Decent Tyres.  Single biggest performance enhancer

3. Brakes - Hel brake lines on order...

4.  Suspension - Being fairly light (73kg) the stock suspension is okayish, but upgrade is certainly on the books in 2017.

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Supporting Member
I am all about ergonomics and suspension on any bike I have ever owned. 

I immediately took off the handguards and stock bars and replaced the bars with Rizoma MA005 bars, narrower and slightly more rearward sweep.  I threaded the bars to accept the heavier FZ1 bar ends and Kaoko throttle lock.

I have a Penske 8983 on order from Traxxion Dynamics and plan to have the "advanced" treatment on the front end by "Forks by Matt". - Activate the dead leg, add 2nd rebound adjuster fork cap and compression on the bottom of the fork legs.

Right angle valve stems!! sounds silly, but anyone who uses them knows they should come on every bike from the factory.  So easy to check air pressure and no bloody knuckles.  I bought these even before getting the bike.

15 tooth counter shaft sprocket.  A quick sprocket change is an easy way to change the characteristics of the bike.  Gear it higher or lower to suit your riding needs and you will notice a dramatic difference.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1. Best change HAS to be the clutch cable, actuator arm and new levers - sooo much more rideable.  

While I haven't experienced anything abnormal with the clutch, I have to ask, what did you do to the cable? 
I test rode the Versys 1000 with the assist clutch before buying the FJ, and the lever pull was VERY light and smooth.  I think the '17 models get the assist clutch like the XSR 900 and it should be a direct swap.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Powerbronze screen improved the wind noise and the Puig spoiler made it even better - maybe the Puig spoiler on the OE screen would have been enough.

After a trip to France squirming around a bit, a seat upgrade (Bagster) made future long trips more comfortable

Heated grips & bar muffs made the bike usable all year.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

1. Best change HAS to be the clutch cable, actuator arm and new levers - sooo much more rideable.  

While I haven't experienced anything abnormal with the clutch, I have to ask, what did you do to the cable? 
I test rode the Versys 1000 with the assist clutch before buying the FJ, and the lever pull was VERY light and smooth.  I think the '17 models get the assist clutch like the XSR 900 and it should be a direct swap.

See here: http://fj-09.org/thread/4649/eeeteas-tracer-blog ...bottom of 2nd page 
I think the 2017 model is having a totally different clutch on it, so hopefully not an issue in the future
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I am curious about the M4 slip on and ECU tuner. This was the first time I had seen a slip on for the bike and was surprised more hadn't come up with this idea. My question about the M4 is how much louder is it than stock with the dB killer installed. I do not like a loud bike, but the FJ-09 is too quiet. Also, did you chose an off the shelf ECU flash for the bike, or made modifications yourself?

Two of my upgrades tie for first place. I changed the seat first, because I couldn't do more than 100 miles or so on the stock one before I was hurting, and my passenger was suffering from the start. With the Corbin, I've done over 500 miles in a day (2-up) with no complaints from me or my passenger. Then I installed an M4 slip-on and flashed the ECU myself with the tuner from ftecu.com (I did those two together, so I'm counting them as one upgrade.) That eliminated the top speed limiter and the abrupt throttle response while giving a noticeable torque increase. Both of these mods drastically improved the bike. I can't decide which one made it more ride-able for me, so they both get fist place.  
I should mention that pattonme has my forks, so the previously mentioned upgrades may soon fall to tie for 2nd place.

For me, it was the screen, handlebars, and suspension. I took a budget approach. I bought a used Ermax sport screen and shimmed out the top to get a smooth and pretty quiet ride. I wanted more sweep in the bars, so I added a set of Renthal bars with Pro Grip grips. While doing the bars, I installed KTM handguards and FZ1 bar ends.

For the suspension, I went with a revalved/resprung ZX6 shock and Forks by Matt Advanced package. So far everything has been a great improvement, but the weather isn't cooperating to give the suspension a true peg scraping test. If I had a bigger budget, I would have gone Ohlins, Penske, or AK20.

I thought the fueling was OK, or at least not a deal breaker, but a remap by Ivan made the bike a whole lot better.
I forgot to add, for me, the OEM seat is one of the best I ridden since 2002.  It's not so much the quality of the foam, but the shape and the narrowness of the bike.  My last 4-5 bikes, all rated high for comfort, splayed my knees out to far and caused a pain in my hips.

1 upgrade, $4500. traded it for a Multistrada
4500?? When I looked at a new Multistrada it was over 20k... that's more like 10k.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
1 upgrade, $4500. traded it for a Multistrada
4500?? When I looked at a new Multistrada it was over 20k... that's more like 10k.
Probably bought a used Multistrada...OR...he declined the "take home mechanic" option.  :) 
567-ducati-making-mechanics-out-of-riders-since-1946.jpg

Personally, I would have taken the mechanic option. She appears to be quite good at wrenching nuts.  :D

working-hard.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
IMHO the best and cheapest upgrade were the Adventure tech mirror extenders. Went from losing a third rear view with stock to full rear view with extenders. After that I'd say getting rid of the stock seat and going with a Corbin with the softer gel. Having crash guards is a really good upgrade. I love having heated grips. The Michelin Road pilot 4 tires are just plain awesome.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived