Rubber smell coming off engine

louie

Has anyone experienced the smell of rubber burning after the bike warms up?  I'm past the break in period, so it isn't that "new bike" burn in smell.  It seems to happen after I've been stuck in traffic idling for awhile.  I've checked to see if there are any hoses or cables melting on the motor, but I can't see anything.  

Any suggestions?  

Has anyone experienced the smell of rubber burning after the bike warms up?  I'm past the break in period, so it isn't that "new bike" burn in smell.  It seems to happen after I've been stuck in traffic idling for awhile.  I've checked to see if there are any hoses or cables melting on the motor, but I can't see anything.   
Any suggestions?  

Yep, mine too. It may be a Yamaha thing; my FJR did it bad even after 60k miles. Never could figure out why. With the FJ I've ust come to expect it.
Keep Asheville weird!

• 3 weeks later...
I found this smell to be much more prevalent, along with carbon spots on my exhaust shroud, when running conventional oil.

Switched to synthetic oil and my exhaust shroud gets much less sooty over time and I get less of that burning oil smell.

• 1 year later...

I have this issue as well. No answers here on this thread sadly. It is not a burnt oil smell. I run on synthetic oil. I get the smell whether it's wet or dry out. I bought the bike used, had 13k on it, now 17k. I had a Yamaha FZ6 before this bike and no smelly issues there. It could be an exhaust issue possibly, considering where that exits. I will check chain lube fling onto exhaust.

Hi Guys.

I have a theory....

I noticed this on My FJR and on the Tracer, this appeared to be worse in damp weather and we put it down to there being a small amount of tyre rubber on the road from cars and lorries, this gets sprayed onto the hot parts of the exhaust and creates a smell like burning rubber.

The smell becomes less noticeable after a good rain storm and then the roads have dried as all the rubber gets rinsed away.

And this is my theory. 

Be Good.

• 9 months later...

Glad I found this post.  Just got home after riding on very wet streets after last night's rain.  I immediately noticed a smell like burnt oil or burning rubber.  It had me a bit worried.  My fj 09 has 14,000 miles and it's been a while since I smelled this.  I noticed a couple of posts about this smell after riding in wet conditions.   I think they may be right that oily road residue is perhaps coming up and contacting hot areas like the exhaust.  I'll ride again when the roads are dry hoping to see this smell gone.  Love my fj 09!

• 2 months later...

Glad to read this. I have the same issue, just picked up a "used" (2300 mile) 2019 GT , had it shipped from Tennessee to my home here in Montana. Did a 12 minute ride in between snow storms last week, and the smell was horrible. I attributed it to dust accumulation while the bike was tied down on a pallet for 9 days during it's transfer. There was a decent layer of dust visible on the bike when it arrived. But two days ago i did an hour of stop and go around town riding in wet conditons (lots of snow melt, lots of stop signs) and the smell is intense. Washed her off when i was done, gently, looking closely for leakage of any type and the bike is as spotless as can be. I swore it smells like clutch burning, or oil burning. Will do an oil change (upgrade)i guess, and see what's next. Previous owner swears he never smelled anything, and i trust him. Waiting for the YES transfer to be completed by Yamaha.