Hard Starting Randomly

There is no doubt now after more than a year of discussion, that the FJ-09 has a frustrating occasional starting problem. It recently started happening with mine so it does not go away with miles on the bike (I have about 8,900 on mine) as some have suggested. I ran into another FJ-09 owner today and his has the same problem with a lot more miles on his bike. Unpredictable, occasional, pain-in-the-butt. Come on Yamaha....you've got to know about this by now and we deserve a fix!! I just read in the LA Times that motorcycle riders rate Yamaha as the most reliable bike on the road, so fix this frustrating problem for us!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Just out of curiosity of those with starting issues, how many have adjusted the throttle freeplay as suggested by fastfred on page 5 of this thread? Mine exhibited the exact same starting problems but since I adjusted freeplay back in May it never ever has happened again. It was less than a half turn of adjustment of the throttle cable.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

After viewing db5304's video, I thought "*This* is a problem? Not in my world." However, after viewing Xpress's video I'm thinking "Now *that* is a problem that needs to be addressed by Yamaha." It's almost like the battery doesn't have enough cold cranking amps to give the starter that kick in the pants that it needs. Whatever, I sure hope you guys get a positive resolution to this problem....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
Most times it's a simple fix. When I start my bike I wait for the display to read normal past the boot up screen when you first turn the key. That co-insides with the fuel pump priming. Then I hit the ignition. One time I turned the key on enough to boot up the display, prime the fuel pump, but wouldn't start. Turned out to be that I didn't completely turn the key to where it clicked in the on position but it was enough to activate the electronics and pump. Simple fix. Make sure your key is completely in the on position to where you feel it click. That was just a one time freak occurance for me. JMHO, but always check the simple stuff first before diving into deep. Sometimes it could just be the kill switch... Another thing, you know these bikes won't start if its in gear with the kick stand down. It has a kick stand kick safety switch right by the kick stand. Keep that sucker clean too...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Hi Martyl,
Every point you mention has been well discussed and eliminated as a cause except the key position suggestion. I hadn't considered that the electronics would activate if the key wasn't in the full on position so will make sure of that. Any little suggestion helps. But this is a widespread problem with the FJ that has now been well documented so I think it's something deeper than that.

• Premium Member
Hi Martyl, Every point you mention has been well discussed and eliminated as a cause except the key position suggestion. I hadn't considered that the electronics would activate if the key wasn't in the full on position so will make sure of that. Any little suggestion helps. But this is a widespread problem with the FJ that has now been well documented so I think it's something deeper than that.
I've never had any hard starting issues, but my bike twice cut out because I did not turn they key fully on - it started, but as soon as I accelerated it cut out completely. It was as if I had turned the key enough to make contact (poorly), but not fully so that it locked in the on position. So I think it my be worthwhile eliminating this fault. Might be a good idea to also lubricate the ignition - suggested elsewhere using graphite.

Went on a nice mountain ride yesterday. 72 degrees and smiling from ear to ear. BUT, we stopped at 3,200 ft elevation, shut the bikes off, headed inside for a burger. Come back out and she won't fire. My temp gauge was at 203 when I shut the FJ off as we'd been climbing a slower pace with some sanded corners, thanks Cal Trans. Had fueled up at the beginning of the ride and been rolling for about 2 hrs. I use my kill switch to stop the engine and then turn the key off. Reverse for restart which was about 45 min to an hour later. Key on, full display on the panel, red switch to prime, start button. She turned over but would not start. Hmmm, I've read about this. Shut the key off, then back on, waited to hear the prime and attempted to start again. Turned over but no catch. Key off, waited, told my riding partners about Yamaha having a problem with this, key on, start button to prime, wait, hit the start and slightly rolled the throttle. She cranked and cranked and cranked but no start. Did the same process and this time when I rolled the throttle just slightly and continuously cranking it over, she fired but belched and stumbled before clearing itself out. California model, just turned 3,900 miles. I had the ECU flashed last month but I see original ECU files are having the same problem. We kept climbing up in elevation after lunch and I stopped and restarted three or four times during the ride back home. The problem never reoccured. I'll take a look at the throttle cables tomorrow. I do have the Y.E.S. warranty but it sounds as though warranty may not help if there isn't an official fix.

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
It's almost like the battery doesn't have enough cold cranking amps to give the starter that kick in the pants that it needs.
My '15 has this issue both before and after installing a Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 battery which has 285 cold cranking amps vs the stock Yuasa YZT10S which has 190 cca, so that is not the explanation either.  I did also set the throttle free play to 2-3mm as suggested earlier, and that had no effect. 
I wonder... does this happen on 2016 models too?  I realize there are a lot more 2015s in service so the number of these malfunctions will necessarily be higher on 2015s, but still if 2016s don't do it at all then it is likely Yamaha found the problem and silently fixed it as with the oil drain plug issue.

Went on a nice mountain ride yesterday. ................ she fired but belched and stumbled before clearing itself out. California model, just turned 3,900 miles. I had the ECU flashed last month but I see original ECU files are having the same problem. We kept climbing up in elevation after lunch and I stopped and restarted three or four times during the ride back home. The problem never reoccured. I'll take a look at the throttle cables tomorrow. I do have the Y.E.S. warranty but it sounds as though warranty may not help if there isn't an official fix.
I have learned from many years with my FJR and countless posts:  Bike not start on first attempt, twist throttle wide open on second attempt, and bike starts.  Problem goes away until next time, which may be in ten minutes or 2 months or a year later.  Just the way it is with these Yamahas.  Just a reminder here:  Twist throttle wide open on second attempt.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
It's almost like the battery doesn't have enough cold cranking amps to give the starter that kick in the pants that it needs.
My '15 has this issue both before and after installing a Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 battery which has 285 cold cranking amps vs the stock Yuasa YZT10S which has 190 cca, so that is not the explanation either.  I did also set the throttle free play to 2-3mm as suggested earlier, and that had no effect. 
I wonder... does this happen on 2016 models too?  I realize there are a lot more 2015s in service so the number of these malfunctions will necessarily be higher on 2015s, but still if 2016s don't do it at all then it is likely Yamaha found the problem and silently fixed it as with the oil drain plug issue.

This problem isn't unique to the Tracer/FJ09. My 2010 XT1200Z Super Tenere did it to me once and was widely reported on various forums.

I think Yamaha has a glitch in their generic ECU firmware. I spent 4 years reading Super Tenere forums and nobody came up with a cast iron diagnosis or an absolute method to replicate the condition.

Anecdotally, it seems holding the throttle wide open whilst cranking the starter motor leads to it starting eventually. As reported above, lots of pops, bangs & smoke then runs fine for the rest of the day, week, year etc.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I suspect your correct michael. If the fix got out, many would be at the dealers door steps for a repair on 2015's. Just buying a bike back as in the case of jeepinoutwest, probably is more economical for them. Then just roll the repair into the following year. sdYu9KH.gif

FYI: I run Chevron with Techron 91 octane exclusively unless Chevron is not available which can be the case out in God's country. Two beemer buddies with 800cc twins also have had hard starting problems. Beemer recommends their injector cleaner additive first, ECU changes after that. But Techron seems to have helped one of those bikes. ECU change flash on the other per direct instructions to the dealer from Germany. One owner felt Techron was the next best thing to what beemer offers and no mixing when coming from the pump. I switched to Chevron after reading about this issue with some FJ's but haven't tried 87 octane as jeepinoutwest suggested. Throttle adjustment was checked this morning and it had enough play in it already. Also my throttle bodies have been synced. Has anybody had their bike towed because of this problem?

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Went on a nice mountain ride yesterday. ................ she fired but belched and stumbled before clearing itself out. California model, just turned 3,900 miles. I had the ECU flashed last month but I see original ECU files are having the same problem. We kept climbing up in elevation after lunch and I stopped and restarted three or four times during the ride back home. The problem never reoccured. I'll take a look at the throttle cables tomorrow. I do have the Y.E.S. warranty but it sounds as though warranty may not help if there isn't an official fix.
I have learned from many years with my FJR and countless posts:  Bike not start on first attempt, twist throttle wide open on second attempt, and bike starts.  Problem goes away until next time, which may be in ten minutes or 2 months or a year later.  Just the way it is with these Yamahas.  Just a reminder here:  Twist throttle wide open on second attempt.
Mine has this problem only once a year luckily. If during the starting process it does not start right away, I twist the throttle mid start and it fires right up. Not a clue why, but it works.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

So open throttle all the way to midway and crank her over. If that were to happen everyday, as previously posted, I doubt the plugs would last the intended 8K. I know these ignitions supply a good hot spark but I suspect fuel fouling would eventually occur. Anyways,  I'll store that info in the ol tool box. Its a shame its the same on multiple models. Thanks everybody.  

07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Archived