Has anyone lowered their FJ-09 ?

silverninja

Has anyone lowered their FJ-09 with the official Yamaha lowering kit (dogbones) part# 2PP-F22A0-V0 ? I would be interested in a number of things: any tips you could add to the instructions, did you lower the forks somewhat in the clamps to make the front end equal, how was the handling and ground clearance of the bike affected (if at all), and how did the sidestand and centerstand use change (?)
Lowering.jpg

Has anyone lowered their FJ-09 with the official Yamaha lowering kit (dogbones) part# 2PP-F22A0-V0 ? I would be interested in a number of things: any tips you could add to the instructions, did you lower the forks somewhat in the clamps to make the front end equal, how was the handling and ground clearance of the bike affected (if at all), and how did the sidestand and centerstand use change (?) Lowering.jpg

My gosh, a Genuine Yamaha accessory priced under $100?

• Premium Member
Has anyone lowered their FJ-09 with the official Yamaha lowering kit (dogbones) part# 2PP-F22A0-V0 ? I would be interested in a number of things: any tips you could add to the instructions, did you lower the forks somewhat in the clamps to make the front end equal, how was the handling and ground clearance of the bike affected (if at all), and how did the sidestand and centerstand use change (?) Lowering.jpg

My gosh, a Genuine Yamaha accessory priced under $100?
Gotta be a misprint.....  (rofl)  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

why in the name of all things holy and unholy would you want to lower this bike? If I fart to hard the oil pan scrapes the ground. You must live somewhere where the roads are paved with fresh new buttery tarmac every year unlike here in Portland where I dodge potholes for fun.

No but seriously, why?
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I lowered my bike but I did not use the Yamaha dogbones.

I installed a Hyperpro "progressive lowering spring" (about $150 for the spring) on the rear shock in place of the stock spring.  To maintain proper suspension geometry, Hyperpro suggests raising the front fork tubes in the triple tree by 15mm.  Total modification lowers the bike 1 inch with the rider in place.

Go to this link for more info:  http://hyperpro.com/height-adjustment/

The theory with the progressive lowering spring is that the spring squishes 1" when you mount the bike and sit down.  The spring is the standard length but the initial squat gets you lowered with rider weight.  The spring supposedly is rated like the stock spring after the initial squat and you adjust the preload for you weight or the addition of a passenger.  

Centerstand is still useable as is.  However I make life a little easier by backing the bike onto a tapered wedge that raises that raises the rear tire onto a 2x4 block.  Very easy then.

With the Hyperpro rear spring installed and NO change to the forks the side stand works ok but holds the bike pretty verticle.

When I raised the forks 15mm I just felt like the side stand was holding the bike more verticle than I was comfortable with so I opted to cut the stand down 1/2" and have it rewelded for $20.  I considered one of the adjustable stands on the market but it seemed like the adjustment increments might end up being too short or too tall without an in between option.  

I've ridden about 1500 miles on the shock and everything seems fine.  I hope to try cranking up the preload and taking a ride with a passenger in the near future.  

If I'm correct, I believe the overall shock travel should be exactly the same as stock, however, in general I believe when I ride, I'm always squatted down 1" inch more than I would be  on the stock set up, but the "bottoming out" point should be the same as stock.  

I only weigh about 145 lbs with gear.  

I read somewhere on one of the "suspension guru" website (I forget which one) that they don't recommend changing the dogbones.  It alters the leverage ratio controlling the shock spring and can cause clearance issues between the tire and the rear fender.  
That being said, I'm sure the ones that Yamaha sells would have no clearance issues.  

That's my 2 cents on the topic.  

Unicycle52

Not everyone is 6' tall

I am 5'3" with a 29" inseam.  I'm coming off of 11 years of riding FJR's and 12 years before that of owning Kawasaki Coucours 1000's.  I'm lovin' the light weight.  

I'm thinking about ordering the lowering links also. The first FJ09 that I sit on at dealership in Mississippi I had no trouble flat footing. The one I just purchased last Saturday local to me I'm on my toes. Either the first one I sit on had been lowered or the forks on the one I bought are not positioned properly in the trees. Any one have a picture of the top of forks in the stock position?

Crash, you have lowered the seat I presume?

Awesome username by the way. I hope it's not a forecast.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I'm thinking about ordering the lowering links also. The first FJ09 that I sit on at dealership in Mississippi I had no trouble flat footing. The one I just purchased last Saturday local to me I'm on my toes. Either the first one I sit on had been lowered or the forks on the one I bought are not positioned properly in the trees. Any one have a picture of the top of forks in the stock position?
The top of the forks should be aligned with the top of the triple trees. See my video @24:20. The differences between the FJ's is probably in the preload setting on the forks/springs. 
[video src=https://youtu.be/HuFyEVn8Bx8?t=24m2s]

I think a pair of thick soled quality motorcycle boots are typically a better option than lowering links because your boots won't compromise the bike's handling. Just my opinion. 
Great (although expensive) boot option for gaining some height:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/daytona-m-star-gtx-boots

I already wear pretty thick soled work boots. Good idea though.

The top of the forks should be aligned with the top of the triple trees. See my video @24:20. The differences between the FJ's is probably in the preload setting on the forks/springs. 
[video src=https://youtu.be/HuFyEVn8Bx8?t=24m2s]

Thanks! Mine are in The factory position.

• 3 weeks later...
I've lowered my FJ09 with the factory dogbones. I did lower the forks in the triple trees to match. It may be a little harder to get up on the center stand but that's kind of subjective. The side stand is fine if you are on level ground but watch out if it slopes down to the right. I don't remember any issues with the install but its been a year. As I recall, I put the bike up on the center stand and swapped out the dogbones. I did not remove the back wheel but may have had to put a block under it.

I haven't noticed any difference in handling. Shortly after lowering the bike, I did put a Higdonion cage on it. I have drug the back left corner several times when I hit a bump while leaned over to the left.

Archived