Chain Cleaning

1st full clean job on my chain this afternoon. 1000 km's on it now. Chain has not required tightening yet. Still exactly the same as new. I used kerosene with a scrubber brush and it worked well. Anyway's when I was cleaning the chain, some of the kerosene got splashed on the tire / rim etc...I cleaned it up with a degreaser rag and seem to have worked well. Do I need to be concerned about the kerosene on the rubber tire? Does that damage it at all? It was only a small amount.

Rubber is vulcanised, which means the polymers it is made of have been cross-linked during the curing process. This makes them much more resistant to attack by solvents. Paraffin is a non-polar solvent so is relatively benign to plastics, but dissolves hydrocarbons like chain lube and oil very well. It's fine on your tyres and will evaporate off slowly if simply left alone.

Edit for translation: paraffin = kerosene

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I avoid any brushes on an o-ring chain...kerosene and a rag to clean the gunk off the outside faces of the links... Only time I use a brush is on my dirt bike as it does not an o-ring chain...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Rubber is vulcanised, which means the polymers it is made of have been cross-linked during the curing process. This makes them much more resistant to attack by solvents. Paraffin is a non-polar solvent so is relatively benign to plastics, but dissolves hydrocarbons like chain lube and oil very well. It's fine on your tyres and will evaporate off slowly if simply left alone. 
Edit for translation: paraffin = kerosene
I have always used paraffin (kerosene)  for chain cleaning, for some reason the price had tripled when i purchased some from the local D I Y store recently, i went to all the large  D I Y chain stores but couldn't find any for sale, still it costs peanuts compared to the aerosol solvent made for bike chains.     

• Premium Member
I have cleaned my chain with Kerosene since I got it, just wipe it off the excess and you will be fine......

Ok Thanx All. Final question....( I am new to bikes again after almost 35 years).....how bout cleaning all the gunk from around the rear sproket (spelling sucks), axle area and rear wheel. Can you just brush on some kerosene on those parts also? 

Ok Thanx All. Final question....( I am new to bikes again after almost 35 years).....how bout cleaning all the gunk from around the rear sproket (spelling sucks), axle area and rear wheel. Can you just brush on some kerosene on those parts also? 
Yes. I put the kerosene in a cheap pump spray and then you can mist it on where you need and wipe off with an old rag/t-shirt

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived