Scottolier Auto chain oilers

If you are like me and hate cleaning and then spray lubing your chains, and worry that we don't do it often enough, then a Scottoiler is your best friend.

I know old guys who get crazy miles out of their chains by using these and they never clean or manually lube their chains. Install one of these, dial it in and then it drops one drop of oil per minute while you ride. The electric ones cost more but turn on and off with the bike.

The non electrics cost less, but you have to mess with em a bit more, but many guys prefer the non electrics.

Either choice will extend the life of your chain and sprockets to the max.

ADVrider.com has a thread where you can get 10% off, click this link to the thread on ADVRIDER

• 1 month later...
8-)C'mon Cruizin,
where is the vacuum outlet on the CP3 engine throttle body?
Picture please.
I will be getting one of these. I've used them before because I'm lazy when it comes to oiling chains....apart from the track bike....
I await your reply director.....
Cheers,
Steve

I've had one installed on mine by the dealer, no idea where they picked up the vacuum. It took me a while to figure out how they routed it to the chain, very discrete and only a small amount of pipe showing - well at least I can see if there is oil in it!
Will take some pics.

I had the electronic system on my previous bike, fitted it to the touring tank - so was pretty much set and forget, well that was the idea. I had been through 3 controllers, two died because I had ridden in some pretty appalling rain, the back lighting packed up on the 3rd one.

• Premium Member
Thanks, that's helpful. I've never used a Scottoiler before but I am planning to get one on my Tracer and was contemplating the electronic model. It is expensive and I don't really want yet another control module on my handle bars. From your post it sounds like the vacuum system might be the way to go. Once it is set up how often do you have to adjust/fiddle with it? I read various reports from people who claim they are messy and others who seem to get it sorted out, what has your experience been?

Over the years my experience has been both, my last 3 bikes have had them.
The first V-System was a nightmare, to be honest I think it had worn out, either not enough or too much oil came out. That why I thought I'd go electronic, was far better - just the controller issues. On the Tracer, so far (only 2 weeks, 1 100 miles old) the V-System seems to be working OK, I do see some oil splash on the center stand and I'm sure in time the rear of the number plate will be coated in oil and muck. It is a total loss system, there will be oil flung off, the trick is getting the balance right.

The only gripe I have with my installation is it was put under the pillion seat, there is little or no room as it is and I had hoped to put other stuff there, problem came when I tried to get the tool bag out - the oiler is too close to it :(

• Premium Member
Scottoiler have instructions for the MT09 fitment - the vacuum spigot is on the inlet manifold so you have to remove the tank and airbox to get at it

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/installation-guides.html

I am trialling an alternative, the Tutoro oiler. This does not need any electrical or vacuum connection. Once I have it fitted in the permanent location, which will be after Yamaha supply my luggage, then I will post details.
http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I actually put on an eSystem on mine and have since put on about 1000 miles. It's pretty fantastic. Chain is always looking clean except for that one time I drove through a crazy dusty area. I turned the rate up a bit and it kept it from getting gunky. What I have noticed is that the fling does accumulate on my centerstand among other places. I was a bit hesitant at first purchasing it since the single nozzle only drips oil on once side of the sprocket but when I check the other side it always seems to be getting enough oil (albeit not as much as the other side). Installing it was super easy. I just ran the controller wires down the side behind the fairings and put the reservoir under the passenger seat. By the way if you use the coupon code mordeth13 (youtubeblogger for those who don't know) you get a 13% discount instead of the usual 10%. 

The Scottoiler V-System installation, the nib is out of the way and not easily seen, the only evidence there is an oiler installed is with the pipe from under the seat.

16236396643_e84b170b32_c.jpg

16236382243_ea327b6df7_c.jpg

16855193932_a2ae312deb_c.jpg

• Premium Member
Yes, all auto oilers will have some fling. This is what keeps the chain cleaner as any particles are taken away. The oil will get deposited on the chain guard, rear wheel and number plate.

Unlike most aerosol chain lubes, which also fling to a certain extent, the oil residue is fairly easy to clean off as it is a similar consistency to EP90 gear oil rather than a stick goo.

This ease of cleaning applies to the chain as well as the rest of the bike - the chain will be covered in wet oil rather than a sticky goo/grime mixture that has been forming a nice grinding paste on your rollers and O rings.

Scottoilers have been around for decades, they make life easier and make your chain last longer with fewer adjustments needed. On my TDM850, the chain was only adjusted at the routine service intervals and the original was still on the bike at 20,000 miles.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

See your number/license plate is a lot smaller than ours @thruster8999 , so one less place for the oil to splatter, I hadn't noticed the splatter on the rear wheel the camera flash highlights it - but yes there is some and as @wessie says, easy enough to clean off. I've never seen it go on the tyre.

I can't be bothered with chain maintenance on long trips and the can of chain wax is one less thing for me to have to pack and worry it'll empty itself in my luggage.

Having to adjust the chain less often is also a bonus as are fewer chain / sprocket replacements. I don't mind getting the sponge dirty - well have one just for the rims.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the pictures and feedback. This is definitely on my list. Delivery date was only confirmed today for the 30th of March, hopefully with the luggage, so I would appreciate a review on the Tutoro oiler Wessie.

Archived