Chinese crash bars.....

kore

So, I ordered a set of these.  Seem pretty solid.  Same design as SW-Motech...so, my question is: They come with bolt hole covers (with Yamaha logos on them) to cover the 2 main connection points.  Seem to made of metal with a rubber bushing around it to keep the water out.  Right side ones pushed in...easy peasy...left side ones, for some reason, push in fine and then, I'm guessing due to air pressure, push themselves back out.  ARGH!!!  Anyone else encounter this?  If so or if not...any suggestions on how to keep them in place??  

So, I ordered a set of these.  Seem pretty solid.  Same design as SW-Motech...so, my question is: They come with bolt hole covers (with Yamaha logos on them) to cover the 2 main connection points.  Seem to made of metal with a rubber bushing around it to keep the water out.  Right side ones pushed in...easy peasy...left side ones, for some reason, push in fine and then, I'm guessing due to air pressure, push themselves back out.  ARGH!!!  Anyone else encounter this?  If so or if not...any suggestions on how to keep them in place??  
Link?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

...any suggestions on how to keep them in place??  
If they are that air tight, install the plug on a hot day, then cool the cup that it fits into with cold water and the drop in temperature will suck the plug inwards. I suspect the air pressure will then equalise over the next few minutes and it'll stay in.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 1 month later...
I have those exact crash bars and I decided to leave the caps off, they'd just fall off anyway.  One of the bolts was silver and one was black, so I masked off the hole and painted it. The original spot where the bars attach did n't have a cover, so I think it looks better without the caps.
The bars are very solid and a ways better price that SW-Motech.

Agreed and when people buy the cheaper Chinese model that will be less money for SW-Motech to develop new products for the FJ-09 and other bikes.  I make a point of not buying Chinese produced obvious copies of motorcycle farkle as I know that eventually it will lead to the failure of the companies that design the products in the first place. 

If the Chinese want to sell me products, then they should design them themselves.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

Agreed and when people buy the cheaper Chinese model that will be less money for SW-Motech to develop new products for the FJ-09 and other bikes.  I make a point of not buying Chinese produced obvious copies of motorcycle farkle as I know that eventually it will lead to the failure of the companies that design the products in the first place.   
If the Chinese want to sell me products, then they should design them themselves.

Or SW-Motech could sell them at a resonable price in the first place 

• Premium Member

Yep. All that they need is some Chinese slave labor. And someone else to engineer the products...  How hard could it be?  >:D 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 1 month later...
Yep. All that they need is some Chinese slave labor. And someone else to engineer the products...  How hard could it be?  >:D
Given the relatively small number of FJ-09 crash bars SW-Motech is likely to sell - seriously, there cannot be more than 25,000 FJ-09 on the road worldwide right now - they have to sell at a price that is sufficient to cover their design, engineering, testing, manufacturing equipment (welding jigs, bar benders, etc.), actual production and marketing costs.  I think the price is fair. 

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
I imagine there are riders of the FJ09 who do not have unlimited farkle budgets. To those folks I say buy what you can afford, even if it comes from China. Engine case parts cost much more than crash bars. And generally in the past I've been able to sand and repaint the bars.

If you feel the need to buy American (which I well understand) do so, if money is a serious hold back, get the cheaper ones. Save yer engines.

John

Archived