old enough - to know better

Hi all,

I'm 73 and have been riding, off and on, since I was 14. My first bike was a 5-hp Harley Davidson (legal for 14 year olds in Texas at the time) and I'm currently riding a 2013 FJR1300A. The idea of an FJ 09 being a smaller, lighter FJR is very appealing to me now as the FJR itself seems to get a little heavier with each passing year.

I test rode a 2015 FJ 09 demo bike at a dealer in NC this past weekend and loved a lot about it. Starting off, I had to negotiate a parking lot full of folks walking in and out of the dealership, employees pushing bikes, a woman with a baby in a stroller. ... I was amazed how maneuverable it was - I doubt I could have done any better walking. 

The bike has 1750 miles on it and was being sold as "new". My own view is that I would much rather buy a used bike from a single owner who had some incentive to take care of it than a "demo" with the same milage possibly contributed by who knows who. I didn't get much of a ride since a major thunderstorm was closing in but I did get a sense of the amazing torque in all gears and the handling. Three things I wondered about: 1) the throttle seemed very snatchy (std mode); 2) there was a lot of vibration/buzz particularly in the right handle bar and brake lever and 3) the engine seemed rough at times in the 3k - 5k rpm range. I asked but couldn't find out anything about the service history and wondered if it had the recommended throttle body sync.  (Dealers don't seem to think this is needed on my FJR.) 

Any advice would surely be appreciated. 

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard, sounds like you found a bike that fits you very well. As for the snatchy throttle, that is a common complaint, but is easily fixed with an ECU Flash (and the flash can also solve a few other issues folks don't like too). Some folks here on the forum have complained about the handle bar vibration, although I haven't experienced it with mine. You should search and read up on this and the rough engine.

There is a ton of information about the bike and all it's pro's and con's here on the forum. Take advantage of the resource and I hope in the end, it is what you want.

Good Luck!

• Premium Member
Off and on?

I'm 10 years junior but been at it non-stop since 72 with I guess well over a million miles on my kidneys. Go for a new, left-over 15 or a used fettled out one with a lot of the good mods already done. I put on a lower bar and packed it solid with BBs and slipped on rubber covered pegs along with an ECU flash and to me, coming from 1k 90 degree big twins, find it as smooth as ripping silk. I keep finding myself going down the highway at 75 mph wondering why the current mpg on the gauge is reading so low until I realize I'm in 4th gear! Really, and that's with dropping the counter-shaft sprocket 1 tooth which raised the rpm in every gear and speed from oem!

20161126_150005.jpg

20170412_222040.jpg

20170412_222056.jpg

20170412_222145.jpg
20170409_182112.jpg

Welcome Oldenough,

Not knowing what the dealer wants for his "sold as new" FJ with 1750 miles, I would see about trying out another FJ09 if possible to see if what you feel on that bike for vibes are similar.

Have you looked around to see what may be available in your area for new, non-current bikes?

I don't really notice much vibration in the handlebar & brake lever, although there seems to be some noticeable in the right footpeg at around 4500-5k rpm.

The engine isn't as smooth compared to a FJR (I have a '14 FJR). The triple has more "character" I would say.
I also appreciate the less weight of the FJ over the FJR.

• Premium Member
Great pics - beautiful bike. Where did you get the cages and the ecu flash?
The flash can be done by 2WheelDynoWorks who is here on the site. As for cages, a lot of folks like the Higdonion cages, also here on the site. There are other vendors for both, just look around. 
Hope this helps..........

Mr. 2 & 3 Cylinder:

2 questions if I may.  

1.  Are those FJR pegs?  If not can you tell me which one's?  Looks like a direct fit. 
2.  Which auxiliary lights are those?  Do you like them and if so, any problem with the draw overworking the Stator??  Oh yeah ... Flood or Spot?

Thanks

...1.  Are those FJR pegs?  If not can you tell me which one's?  Looks like a direct fit....

Those look like FZ6 foot pegs. Pretty common mod on the forum.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

...1.  Are those FJR pegs?  If not can you tell me which one's?  Looks like a direct fit....
Those look like FZ6 foot pegs. Pretty common mod on the forum.
But you don't need to pay dealer's price for them.   See my recent post in the "what did you do ... today" Thread dated June 16th.   A direct and easy fit - I paid AUD$14.36 on-line and post free for my pegs, which I find a great improvement on stock.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Great pics - beautiful bike. Where did you get the cages and the ecu flash?
Givi case guards are available from many sources; look to Italy or the UK for cheapest rice even with shipping. 
I had my ECU Flashed by Vcyclenut Inc.,   9800 Health Park Circle #104, Fort Myers, Fl, 33908
239-989-7574 (Dave is a well respected tuner and good guy too).  $200 + shipping with lifetime re-flashes.

• Premium Member
Mr. 2 & 3 Cylinder: 
2 questions if I may.  

1.  Are those FJR pegs?  If not can you tell me which one's?  Looks like a direct fit. 
2.  Which auxiliary lights are those?  Do you like them and if so, any problem with the draw overworking the Stator??  Oh yeah ... Flood or Spot?

Thanks

I believe they are meant to fit the FZ6 and several other Yamaha.  I got them for under $7.00 USD here:  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aluminum-Front-Footrest-Foot-Pegs-For-Yamaha-FZ1-2001-2013-FZ6-2004-2009-08-/321838495900

Driving Lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JYASND8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Light-Wiring-Harness-Switch/dp/B01DJOUEIQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SEKA2AJH378TQS6BT7J2

or

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Wiring-Harness-Switch-12Feet/dp/B00EZ9Y33W/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SEKA2AJH378TQS6BT7J2

But I used my own choice of switch I installed along with several other lighting and power enhancements per attached photos.  I should probably mention that I was a hands-on aerospace manufacturing engineer with expertise in structural advanced composites & power systems design and development.  And the stator puts out more than enough amps for what I've added and more.  My VTR1000F only has 280W output and I have comparable electrical loads...though I have changed to a mosfet VRR and all LED lighting; as I have on the FJ-09. 

Also see:  https://fj-09.org/thread/2377/driving-lights-installed-light-night

20160824_185652.jpg

20160825_151020.jpg

20160825_153349.jpg

Above for front oem turn signals someone else discarded I replaced the rear with.

20160831_100805.jpg

Above power leads for added Fiamm low-tone horn in addition to oem horn.

20160831_222059.jpg

20161103_004129.jpg

Above are dual LED driving lights with switch installed in forward tank cowl for easy but out of the way accessibility.

20161028_180019.jpg

Dual USB power ports with LED digital volt meter in right OEM position.

20161028_180039.jpg
20161026_223746.jpg

20161026_223755.jpg

20161026_223908.jpg

Above is heads-up display system behind the Givi touring shield with MRW spoiler and 1.5 inch lower handlebars with more sweep.  Note RAM type phone mount with its own 5V power supply switchable for Micro USB and Apple Lightning plugs.  if you look closely at my other photos you will see amber LED side marker lights below the saddle side cowls.

Archived