Insane laughable maintenance costs at dealership.

Local Japanese bike dealership. Walking distance from home. $125 an hour labor. These are labor costs I'm listing.
Coolant flush labor $125
Replace brake lines $212
Replace spark plugs $312
Total with parts including brake lines and raising the forks 5mm. $1124.
Kid doing the work. $15 an hour?
Does this sound crazy? If you do your own work please...we know we know. :) I am beginning to think these labor costs are on par with owning a BMW and having routine maintenance done.

• Premium Member
Local Japanese bike dealership. Walking distance from home. $125 an hour labor. These are labor costs I'm listing. Coolant flush labor $125
Replace brake lines $212
Replace spark plugs $312
Does this sound crazy? If you do your own work please...we know we know. :) I am beginning to think these labor costs are on par with owning a BMW and having routine maintenance done.

Just figure out where that $15 an hour kid lives and become his best buddy ::)
BLB

Local Japanese bike dealership. Walking distance from home. $125 an hour labor. These are labor costs I'm listing. Coolant flush labor $125
Replace brake lines $212
Replace spark plugs $312

Just figure out where that $15 an hour kid lives and become his best buddy ::)
Funny! but no 

• Premium Member
Up in Idaho for the summer, and a service interval at a Yamaha dealer here costs half what it costs me in California.
I just got back to Florida from California. I'm pretty sure everything everywhere costs half of what it costs in California.  :o 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Replace brake lines $212
Replace spark plugs $312

I would look for a new place to get your work done, $312 to replace spark plugs is a total rip off....

Everyone has an option. Leave it there for them to do the work, find someone else or learn to do it yourself or do nothing. Done of the items listed seem too difficult, but that is dependent on the bike.

And for Josh that is $375 plus the cost of beer and parts. If it were me I would make the beer payment when the job is done.

I just got back to Florida from California. I'm pretty sure everything everywhere costs half of what it costs in California.  :o
As a born and raised Californian now living in the mid west I can assure this is entirely wrong. Everything costs a quarter or more less than what it does in CA  ;) 
Back to the OP, I'm sure there is a local non-dealership mechanic that everybody uses. In Sacramento there's a guy our local community utilized for their mechanic needs. Great work at affordable pricing. 

'15 FJ09

Everyone has an option. Leave it there for them to do the work, find someone else or learn to do it yourself or do nothing. Done of the items listed seem too difficult, but that is dependent on the bike. 
And for Josh that is $375 plus the cost of beer and parts. If it were me I would make the beer payment when the job is done.
The only payment to my buddy was the beers! I just couldn't test ride it to the next day. 

As a born and raised Californian now living in the mid west I can assure this is entirely wrong. Everything costs a quarter or more less than what it does in CA  ;) 
Back to the OP, I'm sure there is a local non-dealership mechanic that everybody uses. In Sacramento there's a guy our local community utilized for their mechanic needs. Great work at affordable pricing. 
Too funny. I grew up over the border from Here in Wyoming, and only started riding when I moved down to California for school a couple years ago. I've been wondering why owning a bike hasn't been cheaper than owning a truck!

• Premium Member
In Seattle there are a lot of independent motorcycle mechanics that will do the work if you aren't able/willing/interested! I have done all the work on my 2015 (except the warranty handlebar) myself. It's not very difficult, all you need is the manual, some basic tools, and some patience. When I have gotten perplexed, folks on this site have helped me out, and there isn't anything more satisfying than doing it yourself.

And I save the beers until the work is completed...............

• Premium Member
First, I do all my own work unless it is warranty related. But having operated my own business I realize that there are alot of expenses running a dealership, and service is their biggest profit engine. The internet gives buyers a way to comparison shop for parts and bikes, so those profit margins are quite a bit thinner than they used to be. Dealers are in business to make money (thats why I go to work!) so can you blame them?

So if you don't like their prices, DIY or find that local, reputable wrench to do it for you, but don't cry when the dealer goes bankrupt and you no longer have a place near by to walk in and pick up a set of brake pads that you need right now!

I don't wrench because I don't have the time, confidence, or tools. I live in southern AZ. It is 120 degrees in my garage. Many years ago I worked for a decade as an auto mechanic at various dealerships. I know my skill and interest level. I knew from the get go that DIY mechanics would be all over this OP and so I deserve the perverse pleasure of having been proven right and wrong all at the same time. But I do appreciate every one that replies to my posts.
Here's the thing about the price for service and quality of work and one reason why I posted. There is no direct correlation. Going to a spendy shop is not proof by way of cost that the work is done well.

Archived