Problems with the fuel gauge.

Hi,
I'm new on this site, and also a new happy owner of a 2017 Tracer. Great bike & really love it! 

Are anyone having problems with the tank? The fuel gauge is showing WAY wrong of what's left in the tank.
When ‘E’ starts to blink (and the automatic «countdown» starts up) I have filled it up. Every time it’s just 8-8,5 litres in order to fill it up. In other words, it is approx. 10 litres left in the tank when ‘E’ starts to blink (according to the manual, it should only be 2,6 litres left).

The Yamaha dealer told me recently that they have been informed by the Yamaha factory (HQ) in the Netherlands, that due to the shape and form of the Tracer-tank and also where the fuel gauge is situated inside the tank. The gauge is actually totally useless!
The only thing to do is to reset Trip-1 to 0 everytime I fill up the tank and have to watch it closely, never drive more than max. 300 km (200 miles).
Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for reply.

Thor (Oslo, Norway)

we all hate the fuel guage- we wished. it was functional like a gas gauge in an automobile

majority of us go by x amount of miles till its time to fill up after we have done a few fill ups

im getting 180-190 miles including reserve before fill up- could I go more sure but no need to push my luck

I also wish the filler neck didnt go like 2" into the tank but I understand its function- been thinking about punching a few small holes near the top of filler neck to let air escape and letting me get a few more drops of bbbbrrraappp juice...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

My first fill-up was way off. But after that it seems there is around 3.5 to 4 litres left in the tank when the blinking starts. More than the claimed 2.6l in the manual but almost usable. But yeah, 180 miles between fill-ups does the trick.

Yea, I always have used mileage to track my tank. I did notice, however, that I can go about 20 miles on the flasher without being too worried of running out. One time, on my way to a dinner, I decided to get there on time instead of filling up. I ran out of gas at 27 miles. Lucky me, I was able to get it to a gas station nearby.

When I ride long distance for 8-14 hours a day, I usually top off the tank for a few extra miles. i don't do that if the bike is going to sit overnight

• Supporting Member
The only thing to do is to reset Trip-1 to 0 everytime I fill up the tank and have to watch it closely, never drive more than max. 300 km (200 miles).
I do the exact same thing, reset to 0 every time I fill-up and ride it 180 miles, then do it again. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Farthest I've gone on a tank was 310km (192miles), according to my records, when I didn't notice the gas gauge flashing.  I was able to get 16.1 Litres (4.25 US gal) to the neck in the tank.

Typically, it starts flashing for me, on my 2015 FJ09, after maybe 270-280km (167-173miles).  I thought something was wrong with the FJ needing fuel so often at first, but from my reading, it seems normal for this bike.
It seems super short for me as my previous ride, a 2003 KLR650, was getting ~400-420km per tank, and routinely I filled up with 19L of fuel.

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

• Premium Member
This is a known problem! most of us just go by mileage. I've gotten over 200 miles before, but typically fill up around 175..

• Supporting Member
I prefer the term 'known issue' in this situation, but...  yes, it's a widely recognized point of frustration and amusement among FJ owners.   Mine routinely shows 100% full around 110 miles into the tank, but is in panic flash mode by around 175.   Silly that something so basic functions the way it does, but apparently it's working as designed.

I usually start looking for gas after the second bar disappears...  150 miles, give or take.   It's all a matter of perspective, but my VTR1000 SuperHawk would burn through a tank in less than 100 miles when ridden aggressively, so I think getting 175 miles out of a tank is great.   

I figure that it shows full until it reaches hald..based on the size of the first bar. That was the only logical explaination besides "it doesn't work well"

I have gotten about 230 miles on a tank before with the flasher on. Depends on how you ride too, although I usually don't get such good mileage!

• Premium Member
I do the exact same thing, reset to 0 every time I fill-up and ride it 180 miles, then do it again. 

I do this also! Remember there are two trip odometers.

17 FJ.
When mine starts to blink, the right panel goes blank. The gear still shows, but whatever is programmed into the 3 slots below disappear.
Toggling through the screens brings it back. Filling up the tank doesn't. I always have to toggle. Feature or bug?

Archived