OEM TIRES

I replaced my tires at 3600 miles. The rear was almost to the wear bars in the center. The front tire had a lot of tread left, but you could feel the cupping/uneven wear along the side. I could have gone some more miles, but I have a big trip coming up and decided to replace both with a set of Metzler Z6. We'll see how these work because I've been using Michelin PR3/4 for a long time.

• Supporting Member
I picked up a nail in the rear and changed them out at 4,000 miles about 8 weeks ago.
I have since put almost 5,000 miles on a new set of Pirelli Angel GT's, I have about 3,300 more miles planned for them in the next 4 weeks.  Fantastic tires!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Not a fan of the OEM tyres.....not particularly confidence inspiring in the wet (especially when they start to wear).

Like betoney, I am running Pirelli Angel GT's and are really enjoying them. Wet or dry they hang in there.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
I got 5,800 miles out of the OEM tires. I maybe could have pushed to 6k, but realistically should have been replaced when it was down to the wear bars at 5,500. Then next 300 made for a bald center of the rear tire. Mix of commuting 30 miles a day and 300 mile fun rides in the mountains on the weekend.

• Premium Member

OE rear was at wear bars and replaced at 8500 miles.  Front had a little more to give, but was replaced also. 

I ride in STD mode with TCS engaged, and looking at others mileage, maybe these two factors added significantly to the tire life?

• Supporting Member
I got 4,800 miles out of the stock D222s. The rear still has some tread depth dead center, but had worn pretty seriously about 20 degrees off center on both sides... kind of a triangular wear profile up near the crown. I've never had a tire wear quite like that, actually.

Regardless, I went with the Michelin PR4s as replacements, and am happy with the mix of traction (very good) and wear (apparently excellent).

4,200 on the rear, wore it out on the sides at The Dragon. I needed to replace the front not much after that as I developed a fairly severe head shake that was getting worse. I had the dealer go through it all and they said to replace the tire. The Pilot Road 4's fixed that.

I was able to get 15,000 miles on my stock Dunlops.

Ha.  I probably stretched em a bit thin.  Literally!  The rear was showing some underlying ribbed material in the center.

I just completed the installation of a new pair of Pirelli GT Angels.  Much better!  :)

I just replaced the rear OEM Dunlop at 10,000 miles. Tire usage included both some highways and many fast, twisty roads. The new rear tire I put on is the brand new Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Dunlop claims this will get substantially higher mileage than any other tire, particularly the Michelin PR4. Dunlop also claims great wet and dry weather performance as well. Dunlop specifically developed the tire alongside the Michelin PR4. It tried to make a tire that was superior to the PR4 in all regards. 

Handling of new rear tire is great around turns.  Big improvement over OEM rear tire. Dunlop also claims that their new tire will not "go off" (i.e. handling becomes crappy or even dangerous) before the end of the tire's life. I have had a lot of problems in the past with  Michelin PRs on other bikes (Yamaha FJR1300 etc) suddenly  "going off"  which necessitated early tire replacements.  I hope this tire cures this problem. 

I still have the OEM front tire on. It still has plenty of tread on it. I might replace it regardless to see how the new Roadsmart works on the front.

Archived