Poop the pants passing scenario - Close call - Analysis

Gregorius T

Hey All!  I didn't know what other room to post this in, but I wanted to share this with you, and get your feedback.

Bud, and I, just completed a six-day ride on our FJ-09s, through Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, and Idaho.  All in all, it was a fantastic
ride, and I will write up a more complete report soon.

Something happened that scared the crap outta me, and I need to share it with you, and get your feedback.

Bud, and I, take off from Vernal, Utah in the morning to do some fun and spirited riding up the Utah 191 highway.

As you may know, this is a fun and twisty piece of road that makes it's way up into the highlands, and into Wyoming.

Bud, and I, are carving the turns and having a grand time.  Eventually, we encounter a lumbering
semi that is going about 40 mph, or so, climbing a hill.  This a double tanker trailer semi.  

Bud, and I, patiently wait for the next passing lane.  Passing lane comes up and the semi moves into it.  Bud twists throttle
and powers pass the semi.  I wait for bud to clear the semi and then go for it next.

This is where it gets interesting.  Unknown to me, by the time I start to twist throttle, the passing lane ends up near the
top of the hill, which is only a hundred yards away, or so.  Also, because the semi is so long, I didn't see the sign indicating
the lane is ending.  As you may have guessed by now, I'm midway past the semi when it starts to merge into me.

If you've never had a huge semi start merging into you, it's a very bizarre feeling.  The thought in my head was just total
bafflement.  "What the hell is this?!".  It quickly occured to me that the passing lane was ending.

Ok.  So now I've been pushed into the opposing lane of traffic, with a blind corner quickly coming up.  I've got a huge semi
on my right.  I'm thinking "This is very, very bad!".  What are my options?  

1.  I twist throttle for all it's worth, and pray there is nothing coming around that corner.  This option entered
my head for a fraction of second, and I discarded it.  No way.  I don't play Russian Roulette.

2.  I break hard and attempt to get back behind the semi.  Well, there is a pickup truck back there also.  In addition,
by time I get back behind, I'm already entering into the corner.  Nope.  Still way too dangerous.

3.  Break hard, and get the hell off the road, and over onto the left side shoulder, ditch, brush, or whatever.
Doesn't matter.  It beats a head-on collision with whatever might be coming around that corner.

I chose option 3.  This is where luck plays a part.  As I'm executing an emergency break, I see a small gravel
pullout on the left side of the road.  That's my target!  In addition, as I start the breaking, guess what?  Yup,
an approaching semi rounds the corner, heading right for me.  I chose wisely.

At this point, everything happened so quick, I can barely remember the details.  Pure survival instinct kicks
in.  I bleed off speed very quickly.  I figure, since I was in the process of passing, I was probably going around
65 mph.  I don't remember if the ABS kicked in.  I do remember seeing the cattle guard on the front of the semi
coming towards me.  I remember bleeding off heaps of speed before making it to the gravel pullout.  I don't
think I cut it too close to the approaching semi, since he never blasted his horn.  Then again, maybe the driver
was too taken by surprise.  Everything is a blur, as you can imagine.

The end of the story is, I managed to maneuver into the pullout at a cool 5 mph or so.  I did not slip on the gravel.
The semi I was trying to pass continued on it's way.  The pickup continued on.  The approaching semi cruised on
past.  I said "Holy shit" and checked my shorts.  I pulled one off, and came out unscathed.

Lessons learned?  Passing is one of the most dangerous maneuvers.  All of my pants pooping moments have
been during a pass.  I should have identified my passing exit before attempting the pass.  I should have peeked
to the right of the semi, to ensure the passing lane ending sign is not there.  I should have remembered that the previous
passing lanes were short.

I think back, and wonder, what if that approaching semi had come around the corner a second sooner?  What are
my options then?  Could I execute the most pants pooping lane split ever, and squeeze between the two semis?
Even so, I'm then in the corner, still beside the double trailer tanker semi.

Oy!  I pulled one off, and lived to tell the tale.  I hope this story helps some of you avoid a similar lesson.

By the way, I've only been riding street for a couple years.  Although, I grew up riding a dirt bike.  I've been told,
the first couple years of riding street are the most dangerous.  I hope I've gotten through the worst of it, although,
I know I will never stop learning.

Take care, All!  Thanks for any feedback you might have.  May your riding career be long and joyful.

- Gregorius

• Supporting Member
Scary scenario indeed, so glad it had a positive outcome.

Rule #1 when riding with another rider or riders; ride YOUR OWN ride. Everyone rides at a different pace, some are more relaxed and some more aggressive and all have different levels of experience.

Passing, as you now know, can be the most dangerous thing you can do on a motorcycle. Before twisting the throttle, I look at in 3 phases, start of the pass, the pass itself, and the merge back into your lane.
Some things that are always on my mind prior to making a pass, is there ample room? is the car in front of me contemplating a pass as well? do I have a clear view of the complete path? and most importantly, if everything goes to hell do I have a plan to get back into my lane? There is a lot to think about in a very short period of time.

Live to ride another day!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Glad you survived!

I'm an advanced motorcycling instructor and we spend a lot of time on safe overtakes, doing 1-on-1 tuition. Rather than writing loads of stuff here, it boils down to not overtaking unless you can see where you rejoin your lane and minimising the time you're at risk.

Notch it up to experience and stay safe.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Option 1 would have already been implemented if I was there. I don't dilly dally when it comes to passing. Always full throttle to minimize time in other lane. I don't think I would have ever done what you did. Probably the worst option just my opinion.

Well, gregorius, your tale of the closest call ever nearly had me pooping in my pants!   Thanks for posting - you may have saved a few lives, as well as your own!   

It made me recall my own - and happily thus far only - very near-miss many years ago.   Riding along a clear and straight stretch of outer suburban road at moderate speed, I saw a small sedan coming towards me, and quickly it dawned that the driver was leaning down and sideways as if looking for something on the floor.   The vehicle drifted across its lane, towards mine, with no sign of correction by the half-hidden driver.   Like you, a split-second decision was taken to take to the grass verge on my side of the road, which an intuitive check showed to be flat and clear.   The car continued towards me and I swear it brushed my hard rhs (BMW) pannier, though there was no sign of it when checked.   

I was able to pull up safely and staggered off the bike, my overwhelming memory to this day being that I only just managed to put the bike onto its kick-stand before my legs gave out from shock and I all but crumpled to the ground, shaking!

I now try when possible to scan the roadside verges ahead of me to ascertain if a similar escape route exists if needed, and I never ride faster than I can see (think about it - although it sounds a bit Irish you'll understand!).   

There's no getting away from it - it's dangerous out there! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Great example, and one thing I'd never do, and do not do, is wait for anyone to pass. If you are riding with a buddy, and he/she goes, and has a clear path, I follow right along with them, and on the throttle full tilt to get past the vehicle you are passing, and back into your lane.

Especially in the mountains or on any winding roads.

My biggest fear, and the one that nearly has taken me out before both on a motorcycle and in a car, is people going slow that suddenly without any warning, TURN LEFT into a hidden driveway or side road that is NOT marked.

Those will pucker your sphincter faster than just anything. It's bad when they do it in front of you, but when they do it while you are passing them... Oh, it's nasty.

We get idiots here who pull over to the left side of the shoulder to get their mail, and then either back up, or pull forward into their drive way.... All while sitting partly or fully into the lane where you would be passing slow traffic.

Farmers slowly driving along checking their crops... Then without warning, the pull left, to get the mail, or turn into their driveway... It's dangerous as heck.

I always ride with the blind guy rule. ALL THE OTHERS ON THE ROAD ARE BLIND AND CAN'T SEE ME.

It's saved my bacon a few times.

I would have passed with my buddy full throttle. Motorcycles' speed and agility are a great safety advantage. Don't be scared to use it.
Thanks dbeau.  On reflection, I thought about that.  The only thing that would concern me is, if for some reason bud had to pull some unexpected maneuver of his own.  Then I might be taken by surprise, and the outcome could be nasty.

Glad you survived! 
I'm an advanced motorcycling instructor and we spend a lot of time on safe overtakes, doing 1-on-1 tuition. Rather than writing loads of stuff here, it boils down to not overtaking unless you can see where you rejoin your lane and minimising the time you're at risk.

Notch it up to experience and stay safe.
Totally agree, BBB. Thanks. 
The thing of it is, it was the double trailer semi rejoining my lane.  The slow lane forked to the right and then forks back left into the regular lane.

I think it's a special case where it was upon me to ensure I stayed clear of the semi that I was overtaking.  Especially, since it would squash me
like a bug, of course.

All is remember is, seeing the two lanes crest the hill, and disappear over the top.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened to car drivers before.  Perhaps the pullout was there because cars have used it in the past.

Well, gregorius, your tale of the closest call ever nearly had me pooping in my pants!   Thanks for posting - you may have saved a few lives, as well as your own!    
It made me recall my own - and happily thus far only - very near-miss many years ago.   Riding along a clear and straight stretch of outer suburban road at moderate speed, I saw a small sedan coming towards me, and quickly it dawned that the driver was leaning down and sideways as if looking for something on the floor.   The vehicle drifted across its lane, towards mine, with no sign of correction by the half-hidden driver.   Like you, a split-second decision was taken to take to the grass verge on my side of the road, which an intuitive check showed to be flat and clear.   The car continued towards me and I swear it brushed my hard rhs (BMW) pannier, though there was no sign of it when checked.   

I was able to pull up safely and staggered off the bike, my overwhelming memory to this day being that I only just managed to put the bike onto its kick-stand before my legs gave out from shock and I all but crumpled to the ground, shaking!

I now try when possible to scan the roadside verges ahead of me to ascertain if a similar escape route exists if needed, and I never ride faster than I can see (think about it - although it sounds a bit Irish you'll understand!).   

There's no getting away from it - it's dangerous out there! 
I hear ya, bro.  Thanks. 
I also get really nervous when cruising down a long stretch of highway and seeing a line of oncoming traffic behind an RV or semi.  I get way on the right side edge, and turn
my brights on.  If any cager attempts to pass the RV, at least I miight be able to escape a head-on collision.

Option 1 would have already been implemented if I was there. I don't dilly dally when it comes to passing. Always full throttle to minimize time in other lane. I don't think I would have ever done what you did. Probably the worst option just my opinion.
I hear ya on using the power of that triple 850.  I do use it all the time.  I consider the bike to be my protector. 
Perhaps if the pullout wasn't there, I may have gone max throttle and perhaps squeaked between the semi being passed and the oncoming
semi.  Now that would have been a pants pooper for certain.  I hope I never find myself in that predicament.

• Premium Member
Great example, and one thing I'd never do, and do not do, is wait for anyone to pass. If you are riding with a buddy, and he/she goes, and has a clear path, I follow right along with them, and on the throttle full tilt to get past the vehicle you are passing, and back into your lane.
I'm a true believer in riding your own ride, so I want to see that the way is clear for my bike regardless of what the bike in front of me is doing.  Having said that, what you describe happens alot when riding with others.  My comment here is actually for the lead bike.  If you're going to pass somebody, get it done and make sure you make enough room behind you (after you've passed) so that if someone does follow you they have room to get back into the lane easily.  I have followed people on a pass that were very slow to do this (even with a clear road ahead) and it's not fun to either make room for yourself, or have to pass the person you were following just to get back into the lane in a timely fashion. 

• Premium Member
Just wanted to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed following this thread today and this line actually made me laugh out loud: "Now that would have been a pants pooper for certain."

@gregoriust, thanks for the riveting tale that inspired all the resulting fecal commentary!

Archived