Niken is coming

• Premium Member
The weird-azz 3 wheeled leaning thing-a-ma-bike looks to be headed to the masses. Using our beloved FJ/MT power to boot!

Couple things I noticed from some pics: cruise control (not sure if standard or option) and a remote preload adjustable rear shock. New dash looks kewl too!

I'm guessing the front forks are configured with one compression/one rebound tube on each side. Tops are accessable for adjustments.

Chassis appears to be entirely different than 2 wheeled variant.

I wonder how much additional weight this brings with it, and Where do you get 15" front tires?

I'm waiting for some crossed-up wheelie pics....

https://newatlas.com/2018-yamaha-niken-3ilting-3-wheeler/51895/

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's no doubt a cool Engineering project, and a good looking machine... but I wonder about the sell here... safety? It's an improvement on a trike I suppose, because you can (kinda) ride it like a motorcycle. 
Heavier, more complex mechanically, awkward to maneuver about in close quarters (can't not be), it can't be nimble... and now I might also need to do a three wheel alignment... eyesroll.png . Cool machine though.

and FUGLY!  I wouldn't ride that thing to a dog fight.

• Supporting Member
I was at the local Yamaha dealer the other day and we were talking about the Niken, the sales guy was not excited, stating "we have to try and sell these things", while the parts guy was like "15 inch tires? who stocks 15 inch tires?"  I like the innovation but I dont see it being a sales hit.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
... I’ll bet it’s dadgum expensive.....
I was thinking the same thing...

Yamaha will sell a few because of the novelty of it. Kinda like the Honda DN-01. If it retails for more than FJ09 + $1500, they will likely be a general sales flop.

With the double contact patch, should be great on the binders and in the wet (unless fitted w/15" versions of the D222s!)

Time (and sales reports) will tell!

I was at the local Yamaha dealer the other day and we were talking about the Niken, the sales guy was not excited, stating "we have to try and sell these things", while the parts guy was like "15 inch tires? who stocks 15 inch tires?"  I like the innovation but I dont see it being a sales hit.

It baffles me as to why, but here in Oz the cheap-as-chips AUD$15,000 MT-09 Tracer complete with hard panniers is a sales flop, 2015s being still plentiful in dealerships.   It's hard to see something as radical as this Niken being any different... 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Honda couldn't resist taking the plunge either

https://newatlas.com/honda-neowing-leaning-three-wheeled-concept-motorcycle/39654/

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/neowing-specs-review-trike-motorcycle-hybrid-dct-3-wheel-reverse-trike-bike

Slightly different approach but with the wing engine and drive shaft.

Still not my cuppa tea

Cheers

• Premium Member
Honda couldn't resist taking the plunge either 
https://newatlas.com/honda-neowing-leaning-three-wheeled-concept-motorcycle/39654/

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/neowing-specs-review-trike-motorcycle-hybrid-dct-3-wheel-reverse-trike-bike

Slightly different approach but with the wing engine and drive shaft.

Still not my cuppa tea

Cheers

Just from looking at both If I’m gonna ride a tricycle, I’d prefer Yamaha’s approach.

Let’s go Brandon

This appears to be a solution for a question nobody was asking. 
I'll be damn if it's not impressive.. but.. who's going to buy these exactly?

Here's an interesting thought though.

Super stable front end, turbo ready triple.... drift bike?
Who would buy one?  I would!  It for sure will have better braking and it will be more stable in turns.  I don't think gravel or sand in the road will be as much of a problem as for a 2 wheeler.  Looks are subjective.  I know some will hate it but I like it.  It looks mean - like it wants to eat something. 

It's no doubt a cool Engineering project, and a good looking machine... but I wonder about the sell here... safety? It's an improvement on a trike I suppose, because you can (kinda) ride it like a motorcycle. 
Heavier, more complex mechanically, awkward to maneuver about in close quarters (can't not be), it can't be nimble... and now I might also need to do a three wheel alignment... eyesroll.png . Cool machine though.

Easy solution to that - don't buy one - don't ride one.  I'm sure there are bikes you think are beautiful but that would make me gag.  That's okay - I recognize people have different tastes.  You should as well. 

Maxi scooters use them.  Check out the BMW 650 GT. 

Archived