Niken is coming

nope nope nope

keep that thing away from me... I can see a very very select few using it for select few physical disabilities thats about it.. any other reason is hot air...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was at the local Yamaha dealer the other day and we were talking about the Niken, the sales guy was not excited, stating "we have to try and sell these things", while the parts guy was like "15 inch tires? who stocks 15 inch tires?"  I like the innovation but I dont see it being a sales hit.

Maxi scooters use them.  Check out the BMW 650 GT.
Another non-seller...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

and FUGLY!  I wouldn't ride that thing to a dog fight.
Easy solution to that - don't buy one - don't ride one.  I'm sure there are bikes you think are beautiful but that would make me gag.  That's okay - I recognize people have different tastes.  You should as well.
Just stating my opinion.  Didn't say they shouldn't produce them.  Take a breath.

Being of sound mind and body... at 81 years old and a rider since 1961, I might be able to offer a few reasons why I, and others in my demographic segment might jump on the Niken like (insert favorite agililty metaphor here).

Firstly, the essence of motorcycling for me is the kinesthetic (physical sensations) you feel while riding, and knowing you are in full control of the experience. When we call it "riding" instead of driving, I think that's because motorcycles give much the same experience as horseback riding, with leaning to control the "vehicle" being one of the things that distinguishes riding from driving. So leaning is essential to why I ride and why I want to continue to ride as long as I possibly can. And why I don't consider any of the non-leaning trikes on the market now to be more than cars missing a back wheel.

Second, and norcal616 was close with disabilities, but the more exact term for me is "infirmities". I'm able bodied, but wearing out. Vision, reflexes, strength are all deteriorating but haven't reached a state where I'm a danger on a motorcycle to myself or others. While manufacturers have filled the gap between the motorcycle's capabilities and my diminishing abilities with features like ABS (lean angle ABS too), automatic transmissions, lower seat height, better ergonomics, none had done it all in one vehicle. The Yamaha Niken doesn't check off all the boxes either, but if the ergo's match the FJ's, I'm guessing the stability offered by a leaning reverse trike design will offset my need for some of those features it lacks.

Third, while my "need for speed" is also reduced by my age, living at the edge of the Sierra Nevada mountains at a starting elevation of 4600' and most of my riding between 6000' and 10000', with a consequence power loss from sea level of 15 to 30 percent, the only other affordable reverse trike in production (Piaggio MP3) is woefully under powered for infrequent, but sometimes necessary, passing on our roads. Even if the Niken gains 100 pounds over the FZ/MT, the FZ engine will still deliver all the stonk I will ever need. (It sure has in the FJ form.)

Finally, when your standards of motorcycle beauty were formed long before 1980 with the "motor" being the focus of a motorcycle, not garish bodywork and headlights that look like something you find in rain water under an electron microscope almost EVERYTHING made by every motorcycle manufacturer (except Harley Davidson) since the first Ninja is pretty fugly. That includes my FJ-09 and the Niken. The fact is, as rider, my view of my bike is limited to handlebars, instruments and top of the tank - observers have to deal with the rest of it. Point your fingers, roll on the floor laughing, vomit - I don't give a rat's ass. I'm riding; you can pound sand. :D

• Premium Member
Three wheelers seem to be selling pretty well in the States, I see them all the time. Polaris and Can Am have some popular models, and trike conversions of Harley's and Gold Wings seem to be increasingly popular.

Isuspect Yamaha is thinking about the aging motorcyclist demographic. If bikes like the Niken add 4-5 years to a customer's riding life, that's a sale.

Three wheelers seem to be selling pretty well in the States, I see them all the time. Polaris and Can Am have some popular models, and trike conversions of Harley's and Gold Wings seem to be increasingly popular. 
Isuspect Yamaha is thinking about the aging motorcyclist demographic. If bikes like the Niken add 4-5 years to a customer's riding life, that's a sale.
Can Am Spyders are fairly popular here and quite often seen, while the trike conversions including from shaft-drive BMW boxer twins are even more popular. 
All doubtless good options for when we get too old for a conventional two-wheel set-up, but not offering the 'leaning' component of true motorcycle riding, which some seem to crave.   Me? - I'll go straight from my bike to an electric mobility scooter! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Being of sound mind and body... at 81 years old and a rider since 1961, I might be able to offer a few reasons why I, and others in my demographic segment might jump on the Niken like (insert favorite agililty metaphor here). 
[snip]

Point your fingers, roll on the floor laughing, vomit - I don't give a rat's ass. I'm riding; you can pound sand. grin.png

I love it. Post of the month right there. Bill, I hope I'm still able-bodied enough at 81 to be motorcycling. Ride on buddy! :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
...All doubtless good options for when we get too old for a conventional two-wheel set-up... 

I met a guy a couple of weeks ago riding an old Honda CX650 who seemed to be well into his golden years. After chatting for a for minutes, I came to find out he’s 96 years old! He said he had to give up his Goldwing a few years back due to the weight, but still gets around just fine on the CX. Truly inspiring, and gives me renewed hope that 52-year-old-me still has a lot of good riding years left.

Here's another take on the three-wheel motif, Yamaha's offering from the current Tokyo Motor Show (pic from the 'Australian' newspaper).   

Blurb promises "simultaneous feelings of deep satisfaction and intense excitement".   Sounds like a girl I used to go out with (seat looks a bit suss though).

P1040130.jpg

Here's another take on the three-wheel motif, Yamaha's offering from the current Tokyo Motor Show (pic from the 'Australian' newspaper).    
Blurb promises "simultaneous feelings of deep satisfaction and intense excitement".   Sounds like a girl I used to go out with (seat looks a bit suss though).

P1040130.jpg

That picture is of a battery powered concept according to the captions below.. another interesting bike though

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Piaggio has had one for years. http://www.piaggiousa.com/pscooters/mp3.cfm Supposedly good for commuting. Probably good for touring, too. We don't have many twisty roads, and I'd bet I see a trike for every 10 - 20 motorcycles. The market is there.
The Piaggio only has about 40 hp. It sells well in Europe but not around here. Too underpowered and those front wheels are too small and on top of that the engine is single cylinder - a thumper. David 

Archived