WHAT TYRES ARE PEOPLE RUNNING???

Guest brianwindmill

As noted elsewhere on this forum. I have run many sets of Pilot Roads, PR-1's, PR-2's, PR-3's and 4's. I'm on my 4th set of PR-3's on my FJR, only because I liked them over the PR-4 set I had on last. I like the PR-4 Front so I installed PR-3 rear and PR-4 front on the FJ after a Roadsmart II rear and the full use of the OEM D222 on the front. I now have 3,000 miles on the PR's installed on the FJ and have concluded that I liked the Roadsmart II's better for feel. Since I haven't run a RS II to it's end, nor the PR's, I will have to wait and determine which is better for longevity.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Scratch any notion of my rear tyre lasting the trip to France with @johan.

The combination of warm weather, commuting and hooning around Wales and the Cotswolds in the last couple of weeks sees me nearing the wear bars at 3300 miles. I could probably use the tyre for another month if staying at home but the trip will put 2000 miles on it and I don't want the hassle of finding a tyre depot in France.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Scratch any notion of my rear tyre lasting the trip to France with @johan. 
The combination of warm weather, commuting and hooning around Wales and the Cotswolds in the last couple of weeks sees me nearing the wear bars at 3300 miles. I could probably use the tyre for another month if staying at home but the trip will put 2000 miles on it and I don't want the hassle of finding a tyre depot in France.

I'm getting worried myself. I have 2500 miles on now and I don't think it will last through France. I am going to research France as I don't want to change next weekend. You'd think it would be easy to find a set of PR4s there?

• Premium Member
As noted elsewhere on this forum. I have run many sets of Pilot Roads, PR-1's, PR-2's, PR-3's and 4's. I'm on my 4th set of PR-3's on my FJR, only because I liked them over the PR-4 set I had on last. I like the PR-4 Front so I installed PR-3 rear and PR-4 front on the FJ after a Roadsmart II rear and the full use of the OEM D222 on the front. I now have 3,000 miles on the PR's installed on the FJ and have concluded that I liked the Roadsmart II's better for feel. Since I haven't run a RS II to it's end, nor the PR's, I will have to wait and determine which is better for longevity.
Interesting. I might be tempted to put a Roadsmart II on the rear so I can get more out of the front. Thinking of putting the PR4s on, does anybody know what the difference is between the PR4 Standard and GT? Also, as I use my bike for commuting in the week will I kill the PR4s doing that? Commuting makes tyres "square", although I do my best to even the wear out over weekends!

• Premium Member
Yes, I'm going to try to get a Dunlop of some sort for the trip - emailed the place near my office so hopefully sorted by the weekend. Roadsmart II will be first choice but I'll use the Roadsmart I as they are still made, or one of the stickier Sportsmax jobs to run with the part worn front.

As for PR4 - there does not seem to be a definitive description on the Michelin website. I have been told or read on the internet so it must be true, that the difference in the 3 types is the width of the harder compound band in the middle. Only Bibendum can tell you the actual recipes but he is mute.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
The tyre dealer in Gloucester has a Roadsmart 2 in stock so booked in for lunchtime on Wednesday - it will cost £145 for ride in ride out by appointment. I could get the tyre mail order for about £100 but then have the hassle & cost of getting it fitted, so £45 is worth it when I can sit and eat my sandwich, drink their coffee and be rude to people on the internet.

I felt the same way , I thought PR3's were better than the PR4's on my Touno.. Is the Roadsmart 2 a touring tire - longer lasting tire ? 

• Premium Member
I felt the same way , I thought PR3's were better than the PR4's on my Touno.. Is the Roadsmart 2 a touring tire - longer lasting tire ? 
Yes - see http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/sport-trackday-race/sport-touring/roadsmart-ii/  Dual compound like the PR4

I dumped the stock Dunlops as soon as I could, hated them. Couldn't feel anything, always felt like they were going to slip out from underneath me. Put on Pirelli Angel GT's. What a huge difference!!
Hey GregH, thanks for the quick report on The Angel GT's. This is what I am considering putting on next. I have a lot of straight roads I have to ride until I hit the twisties, so finding the OEM Dunlops squaring off in the middle of the rear. What do you mean by 'huge difference'? How do you find the GT's for sport riding and grip? How is the wear in the middle of the rear? How many miles/Km's do you think you will get out of them? Wet weather grip. Cheers

• Premium Member
Rear tyre changed today - Dunlop Roadsmart 2. Whilst the tyres have the same tread pattern as the OE D222, the tread depth is reassuringly deeper, just like the PR4 or Roadattacks. Hopefully, the thicker rubber will last 5000 miles or more. I've only done about 30 miles and they seem to work well, matching the front D222 and turning into corners easily. Obviously not pushed them yet but I'm confident they will be okay once worn in.

I dumped the stock Dunlops as soon as I could, hated them. Couldn't feel anything, always felt like they were going to slip out from underneath me. Put on Pirelli Angel GT's. What a huge difference!!
Hey GregH, thanks for the quick report on The Angel GT's. This is what I am considering putting on next. I have a lot of straight roads I have to ride until I hit the twisties, so finding the OEM Dunlops squaring off in the middle of the rear. What do you mean by 'huge difference'? How do you find the GT's for sport riding and grip? How is the wear in the middle of the rear? How many miles/Km's do you think you will get out of them? Wet weather grip. Cheers
I liked the Angel ST's for performance.  Very Nice, but not for tire wear.  Here is what happen very quickly, without warning, so to speak: 

XJdNbW9.jpg

You can get a Leatherman tool if you buy a set at Comp. Access.  Set of tires is $317.18.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I liked the Angel ST's for performance.  Very Nice, but not for tire wear.  Here is what happen very quickly, without warning, so to speak: 

XJdNbW9.jpg

You can get a Leatherman tool if you buy a set at Comp. Access.  Set of tires is $317.18.
I like Angel GT tires also, have them on my other bike. But one thing I have noticed about Pirelli tires in general that when they get almost worn out, they wear that last bit quickly! 
Here's a pic of a Pirelli Diablo awhile back. Had plenty of tread in the morning, lol.

tire.jpg

Look familiar?

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member

XJdNbW9.jpg

See, your problem right there is you need to go around way more corners. 
Do it for the children.  I mean, the tires.  Or something.

(rofl)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

The last left turn before I'm home, I felt the rear step out several times. On examining the tire, I discovered these grooves.

Gt1S0ol.jpg

rsjxH9q.jpg

DB3KiJi.jpg

I've ruled out contact with the chain. I pulled the Dunlops off at 1k miles and mounted PR4s. I have had no issues since and I really like the PR4s.

Archived