WHAT TYRES ARE PEOPLE RUNNING???

Guest brianwindmill

• Premium Member
The last left turn before I'm home, I felt the rear step out several times. On examining the tire, I discovered these grooves.  
I've ruled out contact with the chain. I pulled the Dunlops off at 1k miles and mounted PR4s. I have had no issues since and I really like the PR4s.
Interesting. I wonder if the rear axle was loose or if the tire had low air pressure? The reason I ask is the tire feels pretty good to me and has not slipped once (I ride at a decent pace). Glad the PR4s are feeling good for you as I am getting close to needing new tires and am not sure what to go with.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It certainly is a strange groove, I know what a spinning and sliding tire mark looks like and I've seen chain slap on a tire but this is not like those. Definately felt the rear step out 3 times in the same turn.

Pressure was to spec as was the axle.

Techs and I had a long discussion about this.

I'm a bit biased toward Michelin because they are the tire I've used the most so I have good feel with them. I've ripped through that same turn with them several times with no issue.

The effect that you have photographed is called 'cupping'.
It is a normal wear effect and not caused by anything other than normal wear. As the trye flexes and grips, a ripple pattern is formed that often follows the shape of the tread pattern. You can see the leading edges of any tyre groves round off, moving the forces backwards as it does so. It shows that the tyre is gripping and doing its job.
Low tyre pressures will cause this to be worse!

• Premium Member
The effect that you have photographed is called 'cupping'. It is a normal wear effect and not caused by anything other than normal wear. As the trye flexes and grips, a ripple pattern is formed that often follows the shape of the tread pattern. You can see the leading edges of any tyre groves round off, moving the forces backwards as it does so. It shows that the tyre is gripping and doing its job.
The area circled in red it the area he is talking about. Tire cupping is normally at the grooves. 3753390.jpg 

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Rear tyre changed today - Dunlop Roadsmart 2. Whilst the tyres have the same tread pattern as the OE D222, the tread depth is reassuringly deeper, just like the PR4 or Roadattacks. Hopefully, the thicker rubber will last 5000 miles or more. I've only done about 30 miles and they seem to work well, matching the front D222 and turning into corners easily. Obviously not pushed them yet but I'm confident they will be okay once worn in.
Need a rear tire soon also, front is ok. Sounds like the "smart" thing for me to do would be to put a Roadsmart II on the rear. Then when they both wear out, i'm going with PR4's.

my 2 cents.tongue.png

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

The effect that you have photographed is called 'cupping'. It is a normal wear effect and not caused by anything other than normal wear. As the trye flexes and grips, a ripple pattern is formed that often follows the shape of the tread pattern. You can see the leading edges of any tyre groves round off, moving the forces backwards as it does so. It shows that the tyre is gripping and doing its job.
The area circled in red it the area he is talking about. Tire cupping is normally at the grooves.
Cupping can occur anywhere on the tyre and it differs greatly depending on the tread pattern. It is more often at the edges due to the thinner layers of rubber bonding to the thinner carcass on the edges of a radial tyre. Having said that, I am open to your interpretation of the reason for this, other than the tyre breaking up of course.

The area circled in red it the area he is talking about. Tire cupping is normally at the grooves.
That looks more like scratches from gravel or something. It doesn't appear that the bike is regularly leaned over that far.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
That looks more like scratches from gravel or something. It doesn't appear that the bike is regularly leaned over that far. 
Ty

I'm also wondering if something on the road surface caused that too. A foreign object or raised manhole cover?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Ty

I'm also wondering if something on the road surface caused that too. A foreign object or raised manhole cover?
That looks a lot like the markings I get if I catch the edge of a speed bump trying to go around it.  Maybe the photo doesn't do it justice, but to me it looks more superficial than something to be worried about. 
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Could have been something in the road that day. I'm not sure but it is literally the last corner coming home or the first corner leaving home. I had a traction event there. I noticed the marks while checking cold tire pressure and tending to the chain.

I asked friend that stopped by for their opinion. Slide. But the marks are straight, not curling back as the tire rotates. Big slide. Yeah, it lifted me off of the seat.

I asked the techs who changed the tires about it. Chain slap. No, slide. Big slide. (then I took the crappy pictures).

Could have just been some sand in the road. I've crashed because of sand. If we were to replicate those marks, we would go to the beach to get coarse sand and then build a device to recreate those cuts as our hands wouldn't be strong enough.

I lost faith in the stock Dunlops and put Michelin Pilot Road 4s on, adjusted the stock suspension and love my bike even more. Ohlins next.

I just received a new set of Roadsmart 2s. Not sure when they will go on as I am only 3700 miles into my PR4 F/PR3 R combo I put on three weeks ago. Not sure about the PR3/PR4 Combo on the FJ as I have done one 234 mile tank and two 243 mile tanks. One of those I got 59.1 mpg (actual), 62.2 mpg gauges. The tires make me ride slower. ;)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I just replaced my rear with the PR4-GT couple weekends ago but I am a PR fan from FJR days. The GT spec says better mileage on the advert slicks.. we will see...

Now the 222 tire....4500 miles and had a bit left to give super squared off but not overcooked. "For Me" that tire did not instill confidence, in fact it made me nervous as I had no strips down the side... none.. and I did not feel I was pushing the bike that hard.

The PR4-gt tire has nice virgin rubber down the sides.. and I ride the exact same.... same roads and all.. I do not feel the bike move over paint at lean.... I do not feel the bike move at all... ass end is on rails.. Still running front stock.. It needs to go. I can feel movement in the frontend and it is more noticeable since rear is stable... I am getting about 200 miles a tank now as well mix city highway

I believe in the best rubber money can buy,,, for the appropriate application... I have run PPowers on my fjr... silly but I tried it... I did not fall off the freeway once for all 800 miles (lol) I hope the 4 - gt will give me better service life and earn its extra cost.. I will be putting one on the front very soon.. //CDOG

I just replaced my rear with the PR4-GT .. //CDOG
Why did you go with the GT as it was designed for heavy sport touring bikes that have passengers? Are you loaded down?  Extra money spent that isn't necessary for the light weight FJ. Just wondering what your thoughts were. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I just replaced my rear with the PR4-GT .. //CDOG
Why did you go with the GT as it was designed for heavy sport touring bikes that have passengers? Are you loaded down?  Extra money spent that isn't necessary for the light weight FJ. Just wondering what your thoughts were.
I also wondered. The GT's have strengthened casings (as Red says, designed for heavy touring bikes) so they are likely heavier than the standard versions. This will increase your unsprung mass and the inertia on turn-in, none of which is good for your style of riding which seems to be on the sporty side. Also, if you really want the best grip the PR4s will be a bit of a compromise.

• 2 weeks later...
I liked the Angel ST's for performance.  Very Nice, but not for tire wear.  Here is what happen very quickly, without warning, so to speak: 

XJdNbW9.jpg

You can get a Leatherman tool if you buy a set at Comp. Access.  Set of tires is $317.18.
I like Angel GT tires also, have them on my other bike. But one thing I have noticed about Pirelli tires in general that when they get almost worn out, they wear that last bit quickly! 
Here's a pic of a Pirelli Diablo awhile back. Had plenty of tread in the morning, lol.

tire.jpg

Look familiar?

Ty

Wow, what are you doing with those? I have over 2,000 miles on my GT's and they are wearing just fine. I typically ride about 50 miles a day, mostly freeway and wear so far has been just as I expected with no square edges showing up yet... 

Archived