WHAT TYRES ARE PEOPLE RUNNING???

Guest brianwindmill

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've only just bought my (pre owned) Tracer/FJ, but...

On my previous bike, being a kawasaki Ninja 650 I originally had Angel GTs and loved them. I always felt like I had plenty of grip, I felt safe and secure. When my front wore out I changed to a Metzeler M7RR and I haven't been happy. Bad scalloping has popped up within about 3000mi. The rear was changed more recently to a matching M7rr and I'm not overly happy with it either. They just don't fill me with confidence and I definitely feel like I have less grip when compared to the GTs.

So, my FJ currently has Bridgstone battle T30 tyres on there. The front is well worn and barely passed road worthy, so I'm keen on changing it. The rear has a couple of thousand miles left. I think, though, that I will just take advantage of a local deal going at the moment and get a brand new set of Angel GTs on my tracer. $449AUD for the pair seems pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
Still running my stocks at 12k miles, guess I should replace the rear soon :) The front still has plenty of tread...the rear is starting to square a bit, but really haven't felt much slippage or issues with it.

I was considering swapping to Michelin PS4s, but I don't want to have to replace the front as well (which still has decent tread), so I might just replace with another Dunlop 222 on the rear.

• Premium Member
Still running my stocks at 12k miles, guess I should replace the rear soon :) The front still has plenty of tread...the rear is starting to square a bit, but really haven't felt much slippage or issues with it. 
I was considering swapping to Michelin PS4s, but I don't want to have to replace the front as well (which still has decent tread), so I might just replace with another Dunlop 222 on the rear.
You can't buy D222 on the retail market - combining this post with your other thread about dissatisfaction, why not treat yourself to some new rubber and open the throttle a bit more - 12,0000 miles on the OE tyres is a lot and suggests you must ride very conservatively. Get that engine working and it will sound a lot better...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I agree with Wessie here. I also read your other post about your general dissatisfaction with the bike. If I was forced to ride this bike at a pace or aggression level that would have allowed the stock tires to last 12k miles, I would sell the bike and probably kill myself or buy a Prius, which is the same thing. Seriously, this bike and others like it aren't really meant to just putt around at 20 mph. Tons of other bikes/scooters/cars would be better in a mind numbing situation like that. I don't think throwing money at it will make you happier either. You either need to find a better situation to enjoy this bike in or find a better mode of transportation for your situation. YMMV

"I was considering swapping to Michelin PS4s, but I don't want to have to replace the front as well (which still has decent tread), so I might just replace with another Dunlop 222 on the rear"

Like everyone else has said the stock tyres are crap (although I did manage 15,000km out of a set).

Personally I don't like the PR4 and am running Pirelli Angel ST's, which have proved to be quite a good tyre (am on my second set now). Got just under 15,000km on the first set of Angels (95% of that all in a straight line) and am hoping to get about the same out of the second set (which have seen lots of corners).

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member
Ran the OEM Dunlops on my 15 for about 10k miles but they needed replacement about 1500 before that.

Tried the Metzeler Roadtec 01s for the next 8,800 miles until the rear showed cord very suddenly and the front was badly triangulated and cupping a bit more than slightly.  Overall the Metzelers were very competent per the "pro" reviews with good bump compliance and absorption, shrugged off tar snakes and never felt greasy on hot bitumen, had decent feel and feedback if not exemplary, though I never thankfully had the opportunity to really test their wet weather performance appreciably.  Except I was hoping for more mileage for the money.  Based on my experience with Michelin PR2, PR3 and now PR4 on my comparable weight and HP/FP VTR1000F, IMO, in a $ per mile vs performance comparo, the Michs have the upper hand even with the Metzs being slightly less expensive.

I now have about 450 miles on a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s, which with a $100 rebate debit card were only $200; a deal I could not pass up.  So far being just beyond scrubbed-in and before I lowered front pressure to 33 and the rear to 36 PSI, their bump response and absorption, feel and feedback were harsh and muted.  With the lower pressures all is now forgiven except for a slight high-speed (+100 MPH) weave / wiggle felt both with the OEM 36/42 and lowered 33/36 but the instability has been reported on internet forums before (and not experienced with the prior 2 sets of black doughnuts running the same bikini shield and my impressive mass).  However, while the rear required 0 balance weight, the front required 95 grams!! (3.35 ounces to you metrically challenged)  That amount of weight is 3 times what IMO should be needed.  The Metzelers and OEM Dunlops only needed 20 grams (maybe 25), and the front wheel when naked needed less than 15 grams.  Consequently, I've contacted Dunlop and asked for a replacement. We'll see where that goes...

I should have broken the bead and rotated the RS3 front tire on the wheel and rechecked balance but the heaviest spot on the wheel was not at the valve stem (I run a 85 degree aluminum stem) and obviously positioned the heavy point of the tire 180 degrees opposite that of the wheel.  However, after cleaning everything, as I always do in uncontrollable ADD / AR fashion, as I was still facing replacing the OEM chain and sprockets yet that evening (at almost 19k miles, not too shabby) with a EK 520ZVX3 with a steel Renthal 16T and steel Superlite 45T (about $200 from Sprocketcenter.com), I was too tired and in no mood to play with my NoMar tire changing machine and balancer again.

Newly mounted RS3

20170910_180732.jpg

20170910_180743.jpg

worn-out Metzeler 01 (R and F)
20170904_163153.jpg

20170904_163303.jpg

RS3 with 200 miles
20170915_233142.jpg

20170915_233201.jpg

20170915_233214.jpg

• 1 month later...
I was happy to finally junk the crappy Dunlops and get some fresh rubber last September. I had done 7300 kms on the OEM D222 and did 9000 kms on the new rear Dunlop Sportmax. Switching to Michelin Pilot Road 4 made a big difference everywhere and in every condition. Grip pis overall similar, but they heat up quicker and provide more feedback, all while absorbing bumps more efficiently. Of course I'm comparing a set of shagged Dunlops to brand new Michelins, but I remember disliking the OEM Dunlops from the beginning. I think it's ironic that a budget bike like the MT-07 go a pair of high spec Michelins PR3 and the upscale FJ-09 got the crap Dunlops. Anyways, can't be happier with the PR4 now. The new PR5 to be released in 2018 should be even better.

My front tire still has the original Dunlop.  I replaced the rear with a Dunlop RoadSmart II at approx 5500 miles (tread was not quite down to the wear indicators, probably could have gone another 500 miles) as it has a similar tread pattern and is dual compound.  Dunlop takes a big thumbs down from many in the community, but for wet and dry weather traction and wear are rated better than even the current gen Michelin Pilots.   My rear RoadSmart II was made in Buffalo, NY and is a really good tire.  I have had Dunlops on many bikes, and while it is easy to poke holes in the mix, these are darn good tires rated to 168 MPH.   See rating http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2012/01/article/dunlop-sportmax-roadsmart-ii-review/ 

On the Tracer, I prefer the Pirelli Angel ST or GT, both are great.
The GT's are longer wearing in the centre if you do a fair bit of straight lining or commuting.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Supporting Member
I now have about 450 miles on a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s, which with a $100 rebate debit card were only $200; a deal I could not pass up.

That is a great price on a set of tires.  I recently purchased a set of Bridgestone Battlax S21 for about $200, during the summer they had an additional $50 rebate!   
Share your thoughts on performance and longevity on the RS3's when you get more miles on them.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I now have about 450 miles on a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s, which with a $100 rebate debit card were only $200; a deal I could not pass up.
That is a great price on a set of tires.  I recently purchased a set of Bridgestone Battlax S21 for about $200, during the summer they had an additional $50 rebate!   
Share your thoughts on performance and longevity on the RS3's when you get more miles on them.

I now have about 4,300 miles on the RS3s.  Bump response is definitely much better at 33/36 or even lower; especially below 40 degrees F.  Not sure about wear, as I have not checked tread depth.  I did receive a new front sent under warranty by Dunlop due to the amount of weight it took to balance the first one that I'll send back to them postage pre-paid.  Not sure what they'll be able to tell now with that much mileage but he said I could ride it as much as I wanted...  Have not had them in the rain, which is unusual for me and my locale; only damp roads where I take it even easier than if it's raining.  Traction seems pretty good, though I don't bomb around much give the lack of "technical" roads in my region (even in SE WI).  Put them on after the hot weather so can't speak to them getting greasy in the heat either.  I guess I'm not much of tester lately, feel more like a sat on testis.  However, IMO they are about on par with the Metzeler Roadtec 01 and maybe the PR4 without considering mileage. 

• Premium Member
Dumped the stock Dunlops at 6000 miles as they just didn't inspire confidence in its handling and especially in wet conditions. On my 2nd. Set of Michelin PR4's and I'm sold. Handles great,,especially in wet conditions, and wear like iron.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived