Back tire... Request for advise

• Supporting Member
I'm running the non-GT PR4. They are cheaper than the GTs and supposedly less stiff.
Yes, the GT spec version is for heavier bikes, FJR, C14, Goldwing etc. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
My OEM Dunlop rear was toast at 5500 miles. My first PR4 rear lasted 8500 miles, and I'm at 3600 on the current tire with almost no visible wear. 
I think I have about 9000 miles on my front PR4. It looks like it has another 2-3k miles of life.

I'm running the non-GT PR4. They are cheaper than the GTs and supposedly less stiff.

Great... thanks! Looks like we’re in the same ballpark. I got 4,800 miles out of the OEM D222s. I’ll be happy getting 8K+ miles out of a tire that works as well as the PR4.

My Tire Wear:
Dunlop 222: 5,050 miles. Liked the tire so I moved onto Dunlop Roadsmart 2's and I liked them. Fronts: 10,566 miles.

Roadsmart 2: 7,698 miles, 8,200 miles. Okay mileage out of these, good in the corners. Fronts: 10,382 miles.

Bridgestone T30 EVO: 8,419 miles, 6,920 miles (plugged & removed before it was used up). Okay mileage, just a little better than the RS2's. Fronts: 11,838 miles.

Pilot Road 3: 10,512 miles (plugged). Only PR3 worn out on the FJ. Liked the RS2 better at first, but liked the PR3's better later on. So much so, that I pulled two off the shelf that were partially worn on by my FJR and finished them off and now have a new PR3 on the rear.

Pilot Road 4 front: 15,081 miles. I usually run a PR4 front and a PR3 rear.

Pilot Road 4 GT: 2,841 miles (used). Pulled from used rubber off the FJR and finished it off, so it had a total of 8,543 miles. Could have gone more but a plug failed and I had to us Slime to get home.

I don't seem to have any problem running mix and match. If I don't like the tire, I will put something else on, but usually wear them out to the wear bars on the rear. The fronts are more important and I may change them along with the rear if they look close vs wearing them out. I am getting about 1,500-2,000 more miles per tire on the FJ vs the FJR. I like that.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I have always replaced both tires...thats my preference... miles per tire are dependent on users preference of tire profile...I know sone riders cant stand to have a squared off tire(flat top, round sides) even tho its only got 1k miles on it...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

My Tire Wear: Dunlop 222: 5,050 miles. Liked the tire so I moved onto Dunlop Roadsmart 2's and I liked them. Fronts: 10,566 miles.

Roadsmart 2: 7,698 miles, 8,200 miles. Okay mileage out of these, good in the corners. Fronts: 10,382 miles.

Bridgestone T30 EVO: 8,419 miles, 6,920 miles (plugged & removed before it was used up). Okay mileage, just a little better than the RS2's. Fronts: 11,838 miles.

Pilot Road 3: 10,512 miles (plugged). Only PR3 worn out on the FJ. Liked the RS2 better at first, but liked the PR3's better later on. So much so, that I pulled two off the shelf that were partially worn on by my FJR and finished them off and now have a new PR3 on the rear.

Pilot Road 4 front: 15,081 miles. I usually run a PR4 front and a PR3 rear.

Pilot Road 4 GT: 2,841 miles (used). Pulled from used rubber off the FJR and finished it off, so it had a total of 8,543 miles. Could have gone more but a plug failed and I had to us Slime to get home.

I don't seem to have any problem running mix and match. If I don't like the tire, I will put something else on, but usually wear them out to the wear bars on the rear. The fronts are more important and I may change them along with the rear if they look close vs wearing them out. I am getting about 1,500-2,000 more miles per tire on the FJ vs the FJR. I like that.
Redfjliner:  Excellent record keeping.  Really helps us with getting a handle on tire options as well as other issues. 

I understand being concerned about problems with tires at different wear points, but this bike has never seemed especially sensitive to tire choice. (And I have had bikes that were crazy sensitive to tire choice). I also have a Coats 220 as someone else mentioned. Changing your own tires saves lots of money and lots of hassle. TIres are shipped right to my house and I can change them when it’s convenient for me.

But changing a front tire at half its life just to match the rear is still a waste of money.

My rears usually have a decent amount of tread left, but cupping usually does them in. I save my most recent take offs and more than once I have put one on someone’s bike at a local rally so they can ride back home. (Our area is a destination for rallies for several groups).

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
I just swapped out some Pirelli Angel GTs for a set of Pilot Road 5s as the GTs were down to the braids. I got an amazing 22,000km out of those babies, though, and I ain't riding slow!

I only switched to the PRs because I would have had to wait a few days for the GTs and I want to ride this weekend (nb. this is probably a good indicator of my "delayed gratification" abilities).
Also, I'm curious to see whether there's much difference in traction or feel with Michelin's new contender.

Fingers crossed I won't be kicking myself for not waiting for the GTs...

• Supporting Member
I just swapped out some Pirelli Angel GTs for a set of Pilot Road 5s as the GTs were down to the braids. I got an amazing 22,000km out of those babies, though, and I ain't riding slow!
I LOVE the Angel GT's but I have ran every set down until the cords are showing at around 8,000 miles (12,800km).  I have another set of GT's in the garage waiting to get installed in about a month for summer road trips and plan to have them worn out by August.   

I LOVE the Angel GT's but I have ran every set down until the cords are showing at around 8,000 miles (12,800km).  I have another set of GT's in the garage waiting to get installed in about a month for summer road trips and plan to have them worn out by August. 
A set of the Angel ST's just showed up on my doorstep today. Mounting them tomorrow. I had a pair on my DR650 back in the day. They lasted FOREVER. But the DR is gutless compared to the FJ so we'll see.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
A set of the Angel ST's just showed up on my doorstep today. Mounting them tomorrow. I had a pair on my DR650 back in the day. They lasted FOREVER. But the DR is gutless compared to the FJ so we'll see.I was happy with the Angel GTs, they lasted 11,000 miles of commuting and weekend blasting around til cords were showing. Was planning on another set, but I let the salesperson at Cycle Gear talk me into trying the PR5s...and now I have a new fave. For a few extra bucks, it's well worth it. Just my .02  

• Supporting Member
A set of the Angel ST's just showed up on my doorstep today. Mounting them tomorrow. I had a pair on my DR650 back in the day. They lasted FOREVER. But the DR is gutless compared to the FJ so we'll see.
I was happy with the Angel GTs, they lasted 11,000 miles of commuting and weekend blasting around til cords were showing. Was planning on another set, but I let the salesperson at Cycle Gear talk me into trying the PR5s...and now I have a new fave. For a few extra bucks, it's well worth it. Just my .02
It will be interesting to see the longevity of the Road 5.  A set of Angel GT's are $50 cheaper and through May 31st Pirelli has a $50 rebate on a set.  $100 difference is kind of hard to pass up.

Archived