Back tire... Request for advise

Hi,

I have my FJ-09 2016 with 14,000 kms on it. The stock back tire, as per Yamaha mechanic, has maybe 1000 or 2000 kms of life left. The front tire is perfect. I plan to do a travel of about 1000 or 2000 kms for this Christmas, so thinking on replacing now the back tire for a continental trail Attack 2...from time to time I get into mild off road, and Dunlop is bad and slippery for this surface...
It'd be 90% road, 10% mild off road... So I assume having only the back tire multipurpose, and the front still Dunlop, I still get the full and better traction of the continental...and on highway, I assume I will be fine with this mix of tires at high speeds? 170, 180 kms /hr

Any comment, advise?

Thank you

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with @partypat... replace them both. If not the mix of tires should be ok. Just take a little ride to see how it feels before you go blasting down the road to find the limits.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I run my tires 'till braids. Sometimes past a by a few hundred miles. Just be smart* about it and don't expect performance of a brand new tire.

*This is an oxymoron. It really isn't smart, but you can get away with it if necessary.

'15 FJ09

If the front looks good and isn't starting to cup I would run it. It may make till the rear needs replaceing again.
Concur.  I have had many front tires last twice as long as rears.  I change my own tires; the cost savings over paying someone to do it can be astonishing.  

• 2 weeks later...
Good to change tires in pairs. Remember that a matched front and rear set have the same contour/profile (generally) and this helps with turn-in. Makes the bike handle better. If the front and rear don't match they turn in at different rates. This can make for some strange sensations for the rider. Worn tires paired with fresh tires will do this as well.

• Premium Member
Buy tires in pairs. Personally, I don't run tires to the cords. Once I get close to the wear marks I get them swapped out to new ones. Tires are cheaper than broken bones... JMHO...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Buy tires in pairs. Personally, I don't run tires to the cords. Once I get close to the wear marks I get them swapped out to new ones. Tires are cheaper than broken bones... JMHO...
Smart! I was happy with my T30 Evos until they neared the wear marks, then they turned EVIL!! Terrible wet and dry traction! So bad, I still can't believe the degradation. With a Coats 220 in the garage, there's simply no reason to run tires once they near the wear bars. I quickly ordered a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 and soon regained confidence in my bike!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Supporting Member
I've found that the Michelin PR4s maintain excellent feel down to the wear bars.

Curious what kind of mileage you’re getting from the PR4s, @keithu. I have about 4,500 miles on mine, and love the way they feel on the bike. The rear is starting to form a slightly triangular profile, however; exactly the opposite of the way most rears flatten out along the centerline of the tread.

Just eyeballing the tire wear, I’m guessing I’ll get 7,500 - 8,500 miles or so from the rear.

• Premium Member
My OEM Dunlop rear was toast at 5500 miles. My first PR4 rear lasted 8500 miles, and I'm at 3600 on the current tire with almost no visible wear.

I think I have about 9000 miles on my front PR4. It looks like it has another 2-3k miles of life.

I'm running the non-GT PR4. They are cheaper than the GTs and supposedly less stiff.

Archived