Back tire... Request for advise

It will be interesting to see the longevity of the Road 5.  A set of Angel GT's are $50 cheaper and through May 31st Pirelli has a $50 rebate on a set.  $100 difference is kind of hard to pass up.

Ohhh, I didn't know about that rebate! Gotta look into that, thanks!

'15 FJ09

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I was happy with the Angel GTs, they lasted 11,000 miles of commuting and weekend blasting around til cords were showing. Was planning on another set, but I let the salesperson at Cycle Gear talk me into trying the PR5s...and now I have a new fave. For a few extra bucks, it's well worth it. Just my .02
It will be interesting to see the longevity of the Road 5.  A set of Angel GT's are $50 cheaper and through May 31st Pirelli has a $50 rebate on a set.  $100 difference is kind of hard to pass up.

Damn, I bought mine a week before the rebate offer began.

Yeah, $100 difference is hard to pass up. They're good, but I don't know that the PR5s are THAT much better.

• Supporting Member

Pirelli Tire Rebate 

If you buy your tires here, they process and submit the rebate for you!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Damn, I bought mine a week before the rebate offer began.  
Yeah, $100 difference is hard to pass up. They're good, but I don't know that the PR5s are THAT much better.
The rebate is perfect excuse to buy a spare set... :D

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Pirelli Tire Rebate   
If you buy your tires here, they process and submit the rebate for you!!

Thanks! I googled and found it. I'm sure others will like to know where it is though. I always order from www.americanimototire.com They always seem to have the best prices and the shipping is PROMPT. Even here in bumphuck Missouri.

'15 FJ09

I got 14,600 miles and change out of my PR 3’s, super impressed. The fronts had a tiny bit of life yet, but had the typical cupping on the LH side of the tread.

Can’t wait to see how the 5’s do. Trying the Roadsmart 3 right now.

-Skip

• Premium Member
Just got back to sweet Tennessee from New Mexico. The rear roarsmart 3 now has 16000+ miles on it. Miles are like km’s but bigger.
It’s got maybe another thousand left. The front could still go for a while.

Let’s go Brandon

• 5 weeks later...
Original Dunlops were rubbish.

Now running Metzeler Roadtec 01s and they are brilliant.

Fantastic in wet weather and grippy in dry and 10k km in, they are still looking and performing strongly. Not the cheapest but given the life span, look like delivering great overall value.

• Premium Member
I'll second the Metzler Roadtec 01 that proast mentioned. I have about 6k miles on the rear and it's still in great shape. It's starting to square off a little bit, but my full throttle on-ramp habits and highway commutes are probably more to blame.

I did take the Roadtec 01 on gravel and dirt roads a few times and I was really impressed with it. It didn't step out and I couldn't unsettle it with TC turned on. I turned TC off and I was surprised at how much throttle it took to break it loose and spin it on a dirt road/trail.

Don't mean to get off subject,  but for you guys that chang your own tires where are you finding the wheel weights to work on our wheels?
I'm getting ready to install a new set myself and would like to find the correct weights.

Don't mean to get off subject,  but for you guys that chang your own tires where are you finding the wheel weights to work on our wheels? I'm getting ready to install a new set myself and would like to find the correct weights.
 For the last few sets of tires I switched from weights to Dynabeads. They work great, eliminate the tedious balancing routine, and you don't have to worry about losing a weight. They can make a mess the next time you remove a tire, however. One ounce of beads in the front tire, two ounces in a rear. 

For the last few sets of tires I switched from weights to Dynabeads. They work great, eliminate the tedious balancing routine, and you don't have to worry about losing a weight. They can make a mess the next time you remove a tire, however. One ounce of beads in the front tire, two ounces in a rear. 
Thanks for the info. May give that a try. Just ordered a set of roadsmart II for $180.94 from chaparall motorsports if anyones interested. 

Archived