Coulda been worse....

crempel

So there I was, minding my own business, riding home from work yesterday, when all of a sudden, I was assualted by a pretty sizable tree branch. I was probably doing about 25 mph when it landed square on the top of my head/helmet. Startled the sheet out of me to say the least. Left a minor mark on my helmet, but didn’t touch anything on the bike. I dusted off the bark chips and bits of branch when I got home 200 yds later and all was good. Slight headache, but no worse for wear. Like I said, coulda been worse, a lot worse.

Glad you escaped okay. I don’t know in any detail, but is there now a risk that you’ve damaged the internal, shock absorbing part of the helmet? I’m just asking as if the impact was enough to give you a headache it must have clouted you pretty well.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Glad you escaped okay. I don’t know in any detail, but is there now a risk that you’ve damaged the internal, shock absorbing part of the helmet? I’m just asking as if the impact was enough to give you a headache it must have clouted you pretty well.
^^this^^ 
You need a new helmet.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
^^this^^ 
You need a new helmet.

6b2aed88.gif~c200 
Nothing like an internet forum to give you the BEST advice on spending money! :D
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
So there I was, minding my own business, riding home from work yesterday, when all of a sudden, I was assualted by a pretty sizable tree branch. I was probably doing about 25 mph when it landed square on the top of my head/helmet. Startled the sheet out of me to say the least. Left a minor mark on my helmet, but didn’t touch anything on the bike. I dusted off the bark chips and bits of branch when I got home 200 yds later and all was good. Slight headache, but no worse for wear. Like I said, coulda been worse, a lot worse.
You are so lucky, that scenario could have ended so much worse. Glad to hear that you are fine. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sorry to harp on about this @crempel, but the job of the outer shell is to look good, provide weatherproofing and aerodynamics. The materials are designed to be slightly springy and so may not show any signs of a problem. The inner however is normally made of expanded polystyrene and this deforms on impact to absorb the forces away from your head. Unfortunately this is a one-time deal; once it is squashed, that’s it, no more protection. You can’t tell if it has been squished unless you get it X-rayed, so your helmet may look fine, but may not be much use anymore.

I’m not trying to lecture you. Only you can make the judgement on this. I’m still really happy you avoided a branch in the face.

https://motorbikewriter.com/replace-motorcycle-helmet/

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Do you live in a No Helmet State? Even a slightly damaged helmet is better than no helmet in just about every situation. Most people never use their helmet in a crash situation. Consider yourself lucky that you came out without serious injury.

I received a (1) minor scrape on the left side of my Schuberth this last Sept 29th. With some elbow grease (polishing paste) I reduced the obvious visual appearance. My head didn't strike the asphalt hard, because I didn't feel or notice it when I went down. I have always noticed my head hitting the ground before. In the past I have wasted three Nolan helmets do to accidents, but this event didn't justify the replacement based on my personal experience. You be the judge and live with the consequences.

Damaged Nolan: I got a concussion on this one.  Head rolled around like a bowling ball.
Pano_Nolan_Helmet.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I'm in NC, which is a helmet state. I understand about the job of the shell and liner, and seriously, this was not a big enough branch to damage either. Slightly bigger around than my thumb and dry, dead wood which means light weight. It shattered into pieces on impact. I think headache was likely from jerking my head when I was startled as much as anything else. If I thought there was even a small chance the helmet was toast, I would junk it.

• Premium Member
Not sure if other manufactures do the same.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/crash-replacement

f your Bell cycling or Bell powersports helmet has been involved in an accident, you may be eligible for a discount on a new Bell replacement helmet.
To learn if your helmet qualifies, please email us at consumersupport-bell@bellhelmets.com with the below information:
· Picture(s) of the damaged Bell helmet
· Bell helmet model and serial number
· Bell helmet size and color
· Bell helmet manufacture date
· Your full name
· Your phone number
· Your shipping address
This Crash Replacement Program is available to customers in the United States as well as those in some European countries. Please contact your distributor to see if this program is available in your country.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
I have always noticed my head hitting the ground before. In the past I have wasted three Nolan helmets do to accidents, 
Damaged Nolan: I got a concussion on this one.  Head rolled around like a bowling ball.
Pano_Nolan_Helmet.jpg

Damn Red... you are lucky you are still with us.  How many times have you actually crashed? When I had my deer strike in 2016, my helmet was the only piece of riding gear that didn't get damaged, not even a scratch.
Glad you are still actively riding.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Damn Red... How many times have you actually crashed?
Thanks for asking that question, as I was kinda wondering the same thing...  :) 
My deer slayer helmet was trashed not because of impact, but because it got filled with deer blood and partially-digested vegetation that had been inside of said deer mere milliseconds prior...  it was gruesome. 

Archived