I have returned....

Thanks to the fine folk here, I decided to throw the FJ-09 under the bus in my quest to find a smaller touring bike with a weight I could handle for very little, light off road riding on Forest Service graded roads to campgrounds through out the west.  The FJR and even the Honda NT700v I have are just too big and have high centers of gravity for horsing around those roads in my elderly state, with my weak hands.  Now, I have been reading what little is offered about the US spec Tracer 900GT.  Nice integrated luggage that isnt the size of a steamer trunk on each side of the bike, cruise control, center stand, cruise control, improved seats, cruise control,  heated grips, cruise control....did I mention it has cruise control?  Manufactures are waking up to the fact that 40 percent of the F700GS market was female.  And aging male high time riders with bucks making up another group.  Triumph is addressing this group as well.  At the Spokane Bike show, it was telling to watch aging motorcyclists...you know, that group that has money to buy bikes?...try throwing their legs over the tall seats of the standard Triumph 800s and the going to the lowered versions and saying, "Aaaaahhhhhh!"  

AD/Sport touring Bikes dont have to be 600 lbs and dont have to have a 34 in seat height.  And can offer creature comforts, especially for aging hands.....how many people have lowered their NT700vs and V-stroms?

It is clear to me that Yamaha wants a piece of the action.  I await the US specs.....

• Premium Member
I've owned a variety of bikes, including an FJR. Most recently, the FJ replaced a 2012 BMW K 1600 GT. There have also been ADV bikes, dirt bikes, sport bikes, cruisers and standards in the stable. My FJ has been "improved" quite a bit over stock and includes everything the new GT has (sans the TFT display) as well as additional items. I have to say that it is exactly the right road bike for me at this time in my history (a healthy 63). As you have stated, shaft drive would be a plus, but chain maintenance isn't a big deal and if you forgo it, a chain & sprocket replacement doesn't break the bank.

• Supporting Member
Thanks to the fine folk here, I decided to throw the FJ-09 under the bus in my quest to find a smaller touring bike with a weight I could handle for very little, light off road riding on Forest Service graded roads to campgrounds through out the west... Now, I have been reading what little is offered about the US spec Tracer 900GT...
I await the US specs.....
If I understood your post correctly, are you foregoing the current FJ thinking that the Tracer will be a whole new bike compared to the FJ-09? lighter?, smaller?, lower CG?  Physically, it should be identical except a 2" longer wheelbase.  From all accounts I have heard it will be a FJ with a new name and some updates (revised bodywork, seat and screen) and added features (cruise control, city bags, quick shifter, heated grips etc.), think Gen III FJR vs the Gen II. - A modernized version of the same base bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks to the fine folk here, I decided to throw the FJ-09 under the bus in my quest to find a smaller touring bike with a weight I could handle for very little, light off road riding on Forest Service graded roads to campgrounds through out the west... Now, I have been reading what little is offered about the US spec Tracer 900GT...
I await the US specs.....
If I understood your post correctly, are you foregoing the current FJ thinking that the Tracer will be a whole new bike compared to the FJ-09? lighter?, smaller?, lower CG?  Physically, it should be identical except a 2" longer wheelbase.  From all accounts I have heard it will be a FJ with a new name and some updates (revised bodywork, seat and screen) and added features (cruise control, city bags, quick shifter, heated grips etc.), think Gen III FJR vs the Gen II. - A modernized version of the same base bike.

No diss to the OP, but I too found his thinking rather hard to fathom... could he have referred to an FJR??

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The GT isn't going to be any more 'dirt worthy' than it's sibling. If anything, probably the opposite.
The Tiger 800 (not XC) would seem to be the closest competition.
But the clear weight and saddle height king is the BMW F700GS which would be my first choice I reckon given your criteria. Surely a used one can be had for decent money?

Otherwise you're looking at something like the KLR. The DL650 has way too much plastic IMO but then again what "adventure" bike doesn't I guess.

have you looked into the Yamaha T7?
Anxiously awaiting this one myself.
Im pretty familiar with the little FZ-07 motor...its a bit more responsive in the low to mid rpms(stock airbox, going to a Hordpower Airbox will let the FZ-07 motor pull from low to high 9k rpm) comapred to the FJ-09 motor which just loves the 4k-11k rpm range... 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I've owned a variety of bikes, including an FJR. Most recently, the FJ replaced a 2012 BMW K 1600 GT. There have also been ADV bikes, dirt bikes, sport bikes, cruisers and standards in the stable. My FJ has been "improved" quite a bit over stock and includes everything the new GT has (sans the TFT display) as well as additional items. I have to say that it is exactly the right road bike for me at this time in my history (a healthy 63). As you have stated, shaft drive would be a plus, but chain maintenance isn't a big deal and if you forgo it, a chain & sprocket replacement doesn't break the bank.
Thanks, Bob....yeah, from 1964- circa 1983, I did chain maintenance and I am steeled to the fact that I will have to do it again. ;)  I am a maintenance type person so it would be sacralige to let the chain go.  But belt drive intrigues me.  If the goal is to save weight.  I guess BMWs with belts require a special alignment tool when you put it on.  Anyway, I am a shaft guy but few bikes are perfect.  I think it would scare me to recall all the bikes I have owned, but the XV920RH Yamaha 900 I had was fairly unique in that it had a big honkin chain in a fully enclosed lithium grease bath.  It is one of the few bikes I would want back....

have you looked into the Yamaha T7?
There is something on the Yamaha US website called the Ténéré 700 World Raid Prototype I had hopes for this before I saw pics...Maybe a Ten along the lines of a Triumph 800 Xrx....
A shorter, more friendly Ten.  What I am seeing is  something way oriented toward the dirt.
Not an ADV/Sport tourer at all....if they think they have a market for this, I says go for it.
But that market isnt me.  

The GT isn't going to be any more 'dirt worthy' than it's sibling. If anything, probably the opposite. The Tiger 800 (not XC) would seem to be the closest competition.
But the clear weight and saddle height king is the BMW F700GS which would be my first choice I reckon given your criteria. Surely a used one can be had for decent money?

Otherwise you're looking at something like the KLR. The DL650 has way too much plastic IMO but then again what "adventure" bike doesn't I guess.

Sorry if I didnt make myself clear.  Screw dirt.  I want to be able to go down a nice hardpack gravel road in the National Forest system...maybe with a few slick spots after a rain....without my heart stopping.  The XRx isnt a dirt bike...its an Adv/Sport tourer.  What we used to call a street scrambler in the last century.  The BMW F700GS was a nice bike with an engine with a few "Idiosynchrocies" that people fought hard till BMW gave up on it and came up with the F750GS.  The DL isnt a bad bike all.  Not very smooth but it works.....

The GT isn't going to be any more 'dirt worthy' than it's sibling. If anything, probably the opposite. The Tiger 800 (not XC) would seem to be the closest competition.

Sorry if I didnt make myself clear.  Screw dirt.  I want to be able to go down a nice hardpack gravel road in the National Forest system...maybe with a few slick spots after a rain....without my heart stopping.  The XRx isnt a dirt bike...its an Adv/Sport tourer.  What we used to call a street scrambler in the last century.  The BMW F700GS was a nice bike with an engine with a few "Idiosynchrocies" that people fought hard till BMW gave up on it and came up with the F750GS.  The DL isnt a bad bike all.  Not very smooth but it works.....
The FJ is capable of this. I might throw a skid plate/Higdonion cage on it if I knew I was going off road. As long as you understand that its a road bike that you are taking off road you'll be fine. 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The FJ is capable of this. I might throw a skid plate/Higdonion cage on it if I knew I was going off road. As long as you understand that its a road bike that you are taking off road you'll be fine.
Exactly.  And now that it is becoming available with some of the creature comforts of an FJR, and hopefully the cam chain issue has been long fixed, the bike can not be ignored. I have many fine memories of the early part of this century and the last part of the last century touring the two lane roads of the west, camping at NFS camp grounds and hiking the high country.....the fun starts at 9,000 ft.  Youth is wasted on the young!sussan3_zps5c6vscig.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/CoyoteChris303/media/Colorado/sussan3_zps5c6vscig.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Archived