Lightest rear rack? SW Motech? Yam? Aliexpress?

Has anybody compared the available rear racks or found one that was particularly lighter than the others? For instance the SW-MOTECH ALU-RACK Top Rack, Yamaha rear rack and the Aliexpress rear rack? Others?

Yes I know too light and it's not going to be strong enough. Not looking for flimsy, but some things are often overbuilt and I don't need to carry heavy loads. For now I will be using a tail bag on the rear seat when riding alone.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

I looked at racks from a slightly different perspective, so I don’t know if this helps.

Weight: a 207kg bike plus a 90kg rider = approx 300kg, so fretting over even a 2kg rear rack was futile in my view.

The choice of rack is significant though if you want specific luggage to go with it. For example I have the Givi monokey rack as I can clip my V47 topbox on and off in seconds and its secure once on. This was the main criteria for me as I never put anything else on the rack. If I need anything that is too wide, like my uber-deep inflatable camping mat, then it straps over the rear seat, much like your tail bag option.

So, why not start with what you will be putting on the rack and let that help you with your decision, rather than weight?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I looked at racks from a slightly different perspective, so I don’t know if this helps.  
Weight: a 207kg bike plus a 90kg rider = approx 300kg, so fretting over even a 2kg rear rack was futile in my view.

The choice of rack is significant though if you want specific luggage to go with it. For example I have the Givi monokey rack as I can clip my V47 topbox on and off in seconds and its secure once on. This was the main criteria for me as I never put anything else on the rack. If I need anything that is too wide, like my uber-deep inflatable camping mat, then it straps over the rear seat, much like your tail bag option.

So, why not start with what you will be putting on the rack and let that help you with your decision, rather than weight?
This. 
The difference between half tank of gas and full tank of gas will have a larger impact on performance than rear rack.

'15 FJ09

Rear Carrier Luggage Rack For YAMAHA FJ-09 MT-09 Tracer 15-17 CNC Aluminum - I've had three of these and find them beautifully made and certainly light enough (endorsing fully what is said here), but very substantial when installed.   Max suggested load is 10kg, but I've a view that a Bloke could stand on the rack when fitted!   Well recommended @ AUD$99 currently. 

P1030705r.jpg

P1030706r.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I agree about (reasonable) rack weight not being an issue I worry about.  I worry more about how the rack is mounted, and it's configuration/usability.

I really do not like the mounting design of the Yamaha USA version rear rack.  I don't like mounting it using the same bolts that also support the saddlebags (especially since I use FJR saddlebags).  There was a Yamaha branded Euro rack version for the FJ-09/MT-09 Tracer that I bought a couple of years ago from Yamabits.  It does not share any mounting bolts with the saddlebags and is very solid.  Yamabits doesn't appear to carry it any more, but I found a couple of others that have a similar design.  I've used this rack on several long trips with a fully loaded 52 liter top box on it (plus fully loaded FJR saddlebags) without any issues. 

Check out my original post about the rack (with pics) at  https://fj-09.org/post/21331/thread

These are two similar racks I found online.  See what you think, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Luggage Rack Yamaha FJ-09 2015-2017
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-alu-rack-luggage-rack-yamaha-fj-09-2015-2017

KEMiMOTO MT09 Tracer FJ09 Rear Carrier Luggage Rack
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KEMiMOTO-MT-09-MT09-Tracer-FJ09-2016-Motorcycle-Accessories-Rear-Carrier-Luggage-Rack-For-YAMAHA-FJ/32826953488.html

I like the look of the racks that use the passenger hand rails instead of the side case mounts. The ones linked above look good. I will check into those. Only potential issue I see is the mounts could possibly interfere with passenger, reducing room. I will put my passenger on and have a look.

I understand what you are all saying about the weight of the parts vs the bike and rider but I highly doubt that the only part you put on your FJ09 was a top case rack. EVERYTHING you put on your bike adds up. If the only thing you put on your FJ was a top rack then I agree, not a big deal. However; if adding many parts and choosing the heavier parts each time, a bike may become un-necessarily heavy. I am not trying to compromise strength and performance in order to minimize or save weight. I am simply keeping the weight of the things I add to my FJ in mind in order to keep the weight gain to a minimum. It's only one factor.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

See where you’re coming from. Don’t forget to keep your hair short, toe and finger nails trimmed, clean shaven, ride hungry and have a good dump before you get on the bike. Choose the lightest bike jacket, thinnest trousers, summer gloves and you can probably do without socks and underwear too.

And don’t forget the fitness regime and low carb diet to shed those years of accumulated abdominal fat....

In all seriousness now, you’re obviously free to use whatever design parameters make sense to you. I still hold to the idea that function should be uppermost in your choices as compromising for the sake of ounces is delusional when you have a passenger and luggage.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I like the look of the racks that use the passenger hand rails instead of the side case mounts. The ones linked above look good. I will check into those. Only potential issue I see is the mounts could possibly interfere with passenger, reducing room. I will put my passenger on and have a look. 
I understand what you are all saying about the weight of the parts vs the bike and rider but I highly doubt that the only part you put on your FJ09 was a top case rack. EVERYTHING you put on your bike adds up. If the only thing you put on your FJ was a top rack then I agree, not a big deal. However; if adding many parts and choosing the heavier parts each time, a bike may become un-necessarily heavy. I am not trying to compromise strength and performance in order to minimize or save weight. I am simply keeping the weight of the things I add to my FJ in mind in order to keep the weight gain to a minimum. It's only one factor.
About 10,000 of my touring miles were with my wife as passenger (which is why the top box and the FJR saddlebags were so full :^).  No problems with her comfort using the rack, as it didn't interfere with her seating at all.  Remember also that since the rack uses the mounting points previously occupied by the stock hand rails (which are removed) there's likely some small overall weight reduction compared to the USA version mount.  YMMV 

Are some rear racks that simple flat racks that do not allow adding a quick release plate and some that have matching plates that work with top boxes? Do not all rear racks have this capability? Or can most quick release plates be added to most racks one way or another?

If the Yamaha Euro rack is still available, that is another option. I will compare these racks that replace the handrails and chose one.

• 2 weeks later...
Got the SW Motech rack along with Shad SH36 side cases. Installed and ready for a 3 day trip in June  8-)

• 2 months later...
When I bought my bike second hand it came with the AliExpress rack and a really cheap topbox which I don't trust at all. However, overlooking that, does anyone else find that this rack somewhat obscures the rear lights? Probably fine for a low-slung car to see but anyone a little higher up in a van or a truck wouldn't have a chance..! Unless it's just mine...?

Are there any racks better for this, or shall I just look into fitting lights into my box?

Rear Carrier Luggage Rack For YAMAHA FJ-09 MT-09 Tracer 15-17 CNC Aluminum - I've had three of these

I'm guessing this item?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-YAMAHA-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-2015-2016-Motorcycle-CNC-Aluminum-Rear-Carrier-Luggage-Rack/32669316122.html

The KEMiMOTO one at first looked like really bad engineering - heavily cantilevered by just the ends and then I realized there was another anchor point that ties into the rear subframe.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got the Aliexpress as you say version. Looks "almost" like the SW-Motech on Twisted Throttle for $207.00 and it's $116.17 here. The center hole in the top rack piece is a different shape. That means the tank bag piece that attaches to SW-Motech's version doesn't fit this 1. Not what I bought it for. I wanted a good rack for a top case. I also like that it doesn't use the side bag mounts. It mounts in its own places different from the side bags.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KEMiMOTO-MT-09-MT09-Tracer-FJ09-2016-Motorcycle-Accessories-Rear-Carrier-Luggage-Rack-For-YAMAHA-FJ/32826953488.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.282.1d282b223pLEK8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10151_10065_10344_10130_10068_10324_10547_10342_10325_10546_10343_10340_10548_10341_10545_10696_10084_10083_10618_10307_10869_10868_10059_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_45,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=3528db2c-dd88-48f3-a296-3f1c57fa5d33-42&algo_pvid=3528db2c-dd88-48f3-a296-3f1c57fa5d33&priceBeautifyAB=0

Very and I mean VERY STURDY. I can see how people put a 56 liter on it. I'm just running a SHAD 40 with a top rack. Keep my rain suit on the rack for quick access. The finish is excellent and comes close to the color matte finish of the FJ. Would load pix but my PC refuses to see the iPhone when I plug it in. The iPhone asks me to trust or not trust and I put in my password. The PC gives a ding sound but never shows it....sigh.....

But again I'm very happy with the rack. Took about 17 days to get here but almost half price for a quality item. Fit together perfectly. Good instructions. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived