Any riding shoes advise?

kingofthenorth

• Supporting Member
Have you looked into vented boots? Cool airflow in the summer heat and you still have foot and ankle protection.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I use short Daytona boots - I have 2 pairs, both with Goretex. I prefer the plainer looking Rainbow model as I can get away wearing them at work without anyone realising they are bike boots. The Journey has posher XCR Goretex which is more breathable apparently but they look very much like bike boots.
The lining seems to wick moisture away from your feet and the evaporation through the Goretex will dissipate heat.

The only problem with short boots is that you have no shin protection if the front wheel kicks up a stone.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

No axe to grind, but I would keep well away from any riding footwear that has laces, as they can and do tangle with some part(s) of the bike in due course and you will tumble!   ???

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

No axe to grind, but I would keep well away from any riding footwear that has laces, as they can and do tangle with some part(s) of the bike in due course and you will tumble!   huh.png
I’ve just taken delivery of thesehttps://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/238021

8_A834104-76_E6-4_C81-8_FB7-_D5366_CE475_AB.jpg

They address @wordsmith point about laces by having the velcro strap to cover and secure the lace ends.

I took a long time choosing these as they are one of the few I could find that have CE approved armour. They also have a waterproof and breathable liner.

I wanted these for summer and urban riding. They are amazingly comfortable, yet pass all the CE tests for abrasion, impact and tears/rips. I’ve not ridden in them for long yet, but first impressions are excellent. Of course, they are a compromise on shin protection, but for a short trip into the city and being able to walk around comfortably when off the bike, I really like them.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I have had the SMX-1 R boots for about 4 years now and they have been and still are awesome in all seasons. I can walk around a mall no problem once they loosened up a bit. I had ones like the street air and they were so stiff and heavy to walk around in. I just wear a thicker sock in the cold( and by cold I mean like 60 degree so cal cold lol). I think you would be very happy saving a few extra $s and getting the SMX-3

• Premium Member
No axe to grind, but I would keep well away from any riding footwear that has laces, as they can and do tangle with some part(s) of the bike in due course and you will tumble!   huh.png
I’ve just taken delivery of these https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/238021

8_A834104-76_E6-4_C81-8_FB7-_D5366_CE475_AB.jpg

They address @wordsmith point about laces by having the velcro strap to cover and secure the lace ends.

I took a long time choosing these as they are one of the few I could find that have CE approved armour. They also have a waterproof and breathable liner.

I wanted these for summer and urban riding. They are amazingly comfortable, yet pass all the CE tests for abrasion, impact and tears/rips. I’ve not ridden in them for long yet, but first impressions are excellent. Of course, they are a compromise on shin protection, but for a short trip into the city and being able to walk around comfortably when off the bike, I really like them.
I've had these TCX X-Cube EVO WP boots for a couple years and everything @bbb said could be said about these too. Great shoes.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-cube-evo-wp-boots

tcx-9560_W_X-_CUBE-_EVO-_WP_BLACK_ml.jpg

Edited to add name and link.

I'm a fan of my Sidi Astros for warm weather or when spending more time on my feet than wheels:
Easy on/off (even with gloved hands) ratchet system and velcro, some venting, comfortable for walking around in (no problem doing grocery runs or a full day on and off the bike), they often get compliments. Foot bed is fairly flat (feel like classic Chuck Taylors) easy enough to toss in an insole. I wear 10-10.5 and 44 fits me well.
Only downside I've run into is the ratchet on one boot locked-up for a bit once (I think the string got stuck in the mechanism only took a little bit of doing to fix).
Sidi_Astro.jpg

It looks like you can find them closeout now ~$100 if your a 41 or 46 (https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/sidi-astro-boots/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9LPYBRDSARIsAHL7J5nvTMPwvRHp3le6fhp8xICInkW5OLqys4VTfoD3vMR3YPVqWjbuCqsaApe4EALw_wcB). I might dig around to see if I can find a back-up pair.

Here is a litte update. I did order the Firstgear and received them, unfortunately, they had a problem (manufacture) and the fit was a bit tight so I got a full refund.

Thinking about going with the TCX Street Ace Air but not quite convince. I’m now digging the options you guys mentionned.

• 1 month later...
Rode a pair of Tourmaster boots to Alaska. Reasonable prices, almost water proof and the liners held up- kind of... don't know the model but at these prices I'd buy them again. 12000 miles and time to burn them.. they're mid calf, all leather for about $150.

• Premium Member

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Archived