time for new tires

• Supporting Member
@privateer - Lots of choices... to help narrow the focus, what are your priorities? Absolute grip, wet weather traction, tread life, price?

I’ve been running the Michelin Pilot Road 4s, and really like them for my personal needs on the FJ. They grip really well, wear acceptably, and seem to maintain consistent performance over the life of the tire. I do ride fairly aggressively, and it looks like i’ll get around 6,500 miles from this set of PR4s. I’ve heard others getting double that tread life from the same tires, so clearly your mileage may vary.

• Premium Member
I've enjoyed my Dunlop roadsmarts. I've been through a set of II's and III's and have a fresh set of III's to go on. They perform great wet or dry and last a good long time.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
@privateer - Lots of choices... to help narrow the focus, what are your priorities? Absolute grip, wet weather traction, tread life, price?
Many different tires for different needs.  Since buying my FJ almost 18 months ago, I have been bouncing back and forth between Pirelli Angel GT's and Bridgestone S21's, I currently have a new set of each waiting in the garage. 
The Angel GT's are more of a "sport touring" tire and last me about 8k and the S21's are a stickier "sport" tire and are done around 5k.

Current Tire Offers  Buy a few sets while they are on sale and have a spare set ready to go this summer.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Just ordered a set of Road 5s off revzilla for $350 shipped.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Supporting Member
My current PR4 rear, with about 5,500 miles. It still has lots of side grip all the way to the edge, and the profile has stayed reasonably round. The side tread blocks are starting to scallop noticeably (it’s fairly obvious if you look over to the right side tire edge in the picture), but it hasn’t impacted the tire’s performance on the street.

It probably has another 800 to 1,000 miles, so I think 6,500 is a reasonable estimate of useful life. Overall I’m very pleased with the Michelins, and will most likely go with the PR5s as my next set.

b6d7b0dd2d45b74560b94b7a96e378de.jpg

• Premium Member
My current PR4 rear, with about 5,500 miles. It still has lots of side grip all the way to the edge, and the profile has stayed reasonably round. The side tread blocks are starting to scallop noticeably (it’s fairly obvious if you look over to the right side tire edge in the picture), but it hasn’t impacted the tire’s performance on the street.  
It probably has another 800 to 1,000 miles, so I think 6,500 is a reasonable estimate of useful life. Overall I’m very pleased with the Michelins, and will most likely go with the PR5s as my next set.

b6d7b0dd2d45b74560b94b7a96e378de.jpg

I’m getting more than twice that mileage out of the roadsmarts.

Let’s go Brandon

It really depends on what you want from your tyres,  

My vote is for Dunlop Q3 plus's, they grip well, wear fairly evenly, are very predictable, don't last long but I certainly trust them, 

I get about 5,000 k's (3,200 miles I think) per set, third set going on this week.

I tried some Pirelli Road Angel's when the original Dunlops wore out, good tyres but went off quickly particularly in the wet. I found them to be unpredictable and they allowed the bike to move around too much.  

tyre_1.jpg

tyre_2.jpg

• Premium Member
I ran only Dunlop Q's on my previous bikes so I don't know any different. They rock, but don't go far.  This time I chose the RoadSmart 3's as I was hoping for a little more tire life without sacrificing too much grip. So far I am very happy with their performance for my version of spirited riding and @ 3,500 miles they still look new.

IMG_0904.jpg

Archived