First long-ish trip on the GT

bowlin01

Just back from a four day trip to Wales as part of the RoundBritainRally competition.

Really, really pleased with the GT, ride position was all day comfortable, and for me at least, so was the standard seat.

The R&G front mudguard extender worked really, really well (we had a LOT of rain), definitely need to fit a larger rear hugger though, the underside / panniers got filthy!

Once riding the screen wasn't too much of an issue (didn't cause me any real discomfort) but more of a 'mild annoyance', I shall change it, but I don't know what for yet.

I'm still missing the 'miles to empty' estimation that my Triumph had and relying on the non-linear Yamaha fuel gauge is going to take some getting used to. I discovered that from a full-ish tank  I was getting between 150-170 mile before the gauge dropped from 'full' to 'half-full' and another 30-40 miles until the gauge went down to 'two' bars. (So I think just over 200 miles per tank).

Some pics from Wales....

IMG_4889.jpgIMG_4921.jpgIMG_4931.jpgIMG_4934.jpgIMG_4950.jpgIMG_4961.jpgIMG_4963.jpgIMG_4965.jpgIMG_4968.jpgIMG_4997.jpgIMG_5013.jpgIMG_5015.jpgIMG_5024.jpg

I'm still missing the 'miles to empty' estimation that my Triumph had and relying on the non-linear Yamaha fuel gauge is going to take some getting used to. I discovered that from a full-ish tank  I was getting between 150-170 mile before the gauge dropped from 'full' to 'half-full' and another 30-40 miles until the gauge went down to 'two' bars. (So I think just over 200 miles per tank).
[span]    [/span]

That's just the way Yamaha does it, my FZ10 is the same way. And I'm also getting over 200 miles to a tank which is nice. I just reset my trip every time I get fuel and rely on that more than going off the fuel gauge. 

Nice ride write up! I love seeing pictures from other parts of the world. I also really dig that blue, wish we could get it here in the states

• Supporting Member
@bowlin01 - Great pictures, and a fantastic trip!

As a side note, I showed this to my England-born wife, and she dryly responded with “oh yeah, that’s like Smith or Jones in Welsh...”.

IMG_4931.jpg

• Premium Member
I'm still missing the 'miles to empty' estimation that my Triumph had and relying on the non-linear Yamaha fuel gauge is going to take some getting used to. I discovered that from a full-ish tank  I was getting between 150-170 mile before the gauge dropped from 'full' to 'half-full' and another 30-40 miles until the gauge went down to 'two' bars. (So I think just over 200 miles per tank). [span]    [/span]

That's just the way Yamaha does it, my FZ10 is the same way. And I'm also getting over 200 miles to a tank which is nice. I just reset my trip every time I get fuel and rely on that more than going off the fuel gauge. 

Nice ride write up! I love seeing pictures from other parts of the world. I also really dig that blue, wish we could get it here in the states
I just reset my trip meter after refueling, and figure I need gas before I hit 200 miles. 

As a side note, I showed this to my England-born wife, and she dryly responded with “oh yeah, that’s like Smith or Jones in Welsh...”.

IMG_4931.jpg

@wordsmith...can you pronounce this ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

IMG_4931.jpg
We were told (repeatedly) by the locals that it means...." Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.."

• Premium Member

IMG_4931.jpg
We were told (repeatedly) by the locals that it means...." Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.." 

How old do you think you need to be before you can pronounce that? or spell it?

IMG_4931.jpg
@wordsmith ...can you pronounce this ?
Only after downing several Guinnesses - and actually there's a minor spel-ing mis-steak there.....   Great pic!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 months later...
What a great trip you had. Glad the 900 suits you.

I spent 150 miles in the rain last week and was very happy to have my nice, BIG 26-inch Parabellum windscreen to hide behind on the Interstate.  Was able to run at a full 70 mph out of the wind blast and rain. 

Hands got soaked though and boots were wet inside and out!!

The times that try FJ'rs souls!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2018 at 3:35 AM, bowlin01 said:

Just back from a four day trip to Wales as part of the RoundBritainRally competition.

Really, really pleased with the GT, ride position was all day comfortable, and for me at least, so was the standard seat.

The R&G front mudguard extender worked really, really well (we had a LOT of rain), definitely need to fit a larger rear hugger though, the underside / panniers got filthy!

Once riding the screen wasn't too much of an issue (didn't cause me any real discomfort) but more of a 'mild annoyance', I shall change it, but I don't know what for yet.

Some pics from Wales....

IMG_4889.jpgIMG_4921.jpgIMG_4931.jpgIMG_4934.jpgIMG_4950.jpgIMG_4961.jpgIMG_4963.jpgIMG_4965.jpgIMG_4968.jpgIMG_4997.jpgIMG_5013.jpgIMG_5015.jpgIMG_5024.jpg

Awesome! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived