Did your FJ09 have tight valves at 26.6 mile/42km Service?

DavidS

• Supporting Member
Mine were adjusted last week @ 23,300 miles. The right exhaust valve on all 3 cylinders were out of spec.

At the same time I had the plugs changed and the throttle bodies synced. The plugs looked great and the throttle bodies were so close between the 3 cylinders that the mechanic said it was almost a waste of time to make adjustments.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Mine were adjusted last week @ 23,300 miles. The right exhaust valve on all 3 cylinders were out of spec. 
At the same time I had the plugs changed and the throttle bodies synced. The plugs looked great and the throttle bodies were so close between the 3 cylinders that the mechanic said it was almost a waste of time to make adjustments.

It’s still good they were checked after adjusting the valves back into spec. Have to perform one job before doing the other.

-Skip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, jojosz said:

@91000 miles....

Wow.

Which made me think of this for some reason. 😄

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member

It would be great if folks reporting in this thread posted measured valve lash values in addition to mileage etc. If you're not doing the work, ask your wrench. They should have these values readily available/noted, all paid for. 🤓

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

just adjusted my valves at 20K, instead of waiting for the 26K as recommended by Yamaha. They were tight, just like others have experienced. 

I'm trying to figure out when I will adjust them next time, It's a pain to get in there and do the work, but if it saves the engine, it's probably worth it. 20K wasn't early enough, maybe I'll do this every 15K miles. That like puts it at about once a year. I should get pretty good at it if I do it that often..............

On 9/23/2018 at 6:07 PM, piotrek said:

Pretty tight... 2015, 37,000km. Results and some work up data below. Nominal shim sizes shown are the available Yamaha shims. Pretty coarse selection... so I might go aftermarket. Intake looks alright, and could leave alone, save for maybe #3. Looking forward to putting the bike together.

Capture.jpg

Hey @Piotrek I was just re-reading this thread - I could be wrong, but in the above chart that you provided, I think maybe that you mixed up which shims were in what location?  Meaning, you list 2.020, 2.010, 2.010 etc, above as being Factory Intake valve shims.  Pretty sure those were your Exhaust shims. The Intake shims would have been 1.800, 1.810, 1.810, 1.850 etc.

Just so that the data is correct and people reading this thread for the first time don't get confused. (i'm not trying to be an ass... :) )

-Skip T

Edited by skipperT

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, DavidS said:

just adjusted my valves at 20K, instead of waiting for the 26K as recommended by Yamaha. They were tight, just like others have experienced. 

I'm trying to figure out when I will adjust them next time, It's a pain to get in there and do the work, but if it saves the engine, it's probably worth it. 20K wasn't early enough, maybe I'll do this every 15K miles. That like puts it at about once a year. I should get pretty good at it if I do it that often..............

I had mine checked/adjusted at 23k, -tight exhaust valves like everyone else has reported.  (At the same time I had the plugs replaced and throttle bodies synced, both for the first time.  Plugs still looked great and TB's didn't need adjusting.)

I asked my mechanic the same question as to what is a good interval for adjustment, he said they were tight at 23k but not alarmingly so, his recommendation was to keep doing the valve check, spark plug replacement and throttle body sync as one scheduled maintenance but set the interval to every 20k.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

32 minutes ago, DavidS said:

This is a tough one to answer for sure.. but the bike will probably tell you if you check it in 15k miles and they are all in spec, then you could have waited. Time will tell.

-Skip