GT side case size?

krillz

Thanks, guys. Looks like the price of the bike is going up... A top box is a good idea. I agree with the commuting comment due to the extra width of side cases, but I think the top boxes just look a little funny. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Thanks, @bowlin01 for actually testing it out for me.
I agree with you on the look of top boxes, have you considered a tail bag/pack? The Kriega US 20 should do nicely. 
Cheers
Steve

Thanks, guys. Looks like the price of the bike is going up... A top box is a good idea. I agree with the commuting comment due to the extra width of side cases, but I think the top boxes just look a little funny. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Thanks, @bowlin01 for actually testing it out for me.
I agree with you on the look of top boxes, have you considered a tail bag/pack? The Kriega US 20 should do nicely. 
Cheers
Steve
When you are commuting on a daily basis, security and functionality precede appearance. A bag cannot be left on the bike and not get stolen, eventually. 

• Supporting Member
I'm kind of a "function over form" person.  A top box has always worked like a champ for me.  I get a ton of commuting utility out of them, and have used'em for about 123,000 of my commuting miles between my last 6 bikes (total miles is around 165,000, and the GT is my 7th bike).  Not a lot of miles when compared to the IronButt folks and the BMW crowd, but I was a late arrival to the motorcycling party.

I've also used'em (in conjunction with a waterproof duffel bag strapped to the pillion) to go across the country twice.  I'm so used to them I can't imagine not having one on my bikes, but again, this is only my opinion and is what has worked very, very well for me.  Access on the bike is fast, chest-high and weatherproof.  The traffic profile is narrower than with side bags, and that's definitely been a big plus more than once here in the DC metro area.  A good top box has always been more practical and utilitarian for me than side bags.

As always, YMMV.

Gotta do what makes YOU happy.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Supporting Member
I'm reading that the side case mounts on the 2019 GT were changed somewhat.  Does anyone know if the FJR side cases still fit on the GT mounts if we want to run with a little more storage?
Unknown to me, Mr. 'Burgh.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

I'm reading that the side case mounts on the 2019 GT were changed somewhat.  Does anyone know if the FJR side cases still fit on the GT mounts if we want to run with a little more storage?
Spoke to my Yamaha Dealer today as he tried it out in the shop. The FJR panniers will fit the GT900 (the mounting system is the same) and as he pointed out that gives you a further 2 options as apparently the FJR cases come in two sizes. 
Cheers
Steve

• 2 months later...
Hello, I am in the process of buying a 2018 Yamaha Tracer 900 Gt (in my country it comes without side cases) and am very confused about which side cases to buy. I like the looks of the Yamaha OE 20Litre sidecases but they are too small for touring. Do you think the FJR's 30 litre side cases fit on the 2018 Tracer 900 GT ??  I need to make sure that the FJR 30 litres side cases fit the 18 Tracer 900 GT because I have to order them from Yamaha  and they won't take them back.

Hello, I am in the process of buying a 2018 Yamaha Tracer 900 Gt (in my country it comes without side cases) and am very confused about which side cases to buy. I like the looks of the Yamaha OE 20Litre sidecases but they are too small for touring. Do you think the FJR's 30 litre side cases fit on the 2018 Tracer 900 GT ??  I need to make sure that the FJR 30 litres side cases fit the 18 Tracer 900 GT because I have to order them from Yamaha  and they won't take them back.

Sorry, wrong thread. The FJR side cases fit perfectly on the GT.

Hey @theblade - Out of curiosity where are you located? I'm in Malta and the bike here also doesn't come with the panniers. 
I haven't tried but was told the FJR fittings are identical. In fact the GT panniers actually come with instructions for the FJR on it.

My Canadian spec GT came with the 22L panniers, I've read somewhere that FJR lids will fit on to make them 30L. Is this correct?
If so, I plan to get some from a salvage yard so I can convert mine to hold a helmet.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Archived