Tank bag ideas?

• Premium Member
Peporter,  can you identify the Canadian dealer that you got the tankbag adapter from?  Thanks!
Here is the e-bay address I got my bag from. You need the EVO 110 tank ring to go with it, and he had them when I ordered. He is in Calgary. Got the bag and ring together in 4 days, and I'm in Oklahoma.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bags-Connection-QUICK-LOCK-EVO-Engage-TANKBAG-Black-7-LITER-/381180098852?hash=item58c01ab924&vxp=mtr
2nd-gear is how he is listed on e-bay. Good luck!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Peporter,  can you identify the Canadian dealer that you got the tankbag adapter from?  Thanks!
Here is the e-bay address I got my bag from. You need the EVO 110 tank ring to go with it, and he had them when I ordered. He is in Calgary. Got the bag and ring together in 4 days, and I'm in Oklahoma.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bags-Connection-QUICK-LOCK-EVO-Engage-TANKBAG-Black-7-LITER-/381180098852?hash=item58c01ab924&vxp=mtr
2nd-gear is how he is listed on e-bay. Good luck!

Here is the e-bay address for the tank ring 110  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bags-Connection-QUICK-LOCK-EVO-Tankring-5-screws-TYPE-110-/191528239699?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c97f90253&vxp=mtr 

• Premium Member
@steve posted a link to intobike who have the Baglux/Bagster tank cover listed now - which is quicker than the official importer at baglux.xo.uk has!

no pictures yet

I have a Baglux Alpha bag in use with a universal tank harness. Works well.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
P25mQ9n.jpg 

idBH3hb.jpg

qgF4J6O.jpg

IuU5Yod.jpg
The GIVI tank lock system doesn't work with the FJ-09 unmodified due to the plastic trim piece on the FJ. I have not asked them yet to see if they are coming out with an adapter to correct this.
If you shim all 3 connection points, the filler cap will not open.
I modified the top connection point only by replacing the top bolt with a longer one and adding a rubber shim (about 2mm). This seems to be enough to allow the bag to attach properly (see adapter pics). Otherwise the 308 bag fits nicely on the tank.
I am also using the safety strap in case the bag comes loose, however, I have put about 80 miles on since attaching the bag and it is staying attached.

Hey Indyfjrider, thank you for the post and a solution. I also have the Givi X308. As I am based in Australia i do not have access to the Givi USA website it refers me to Givimoto to which it advises the correct tank lock flange is part No: BF23. Is that the one you used? Cheers

• Premium Member

The GIVI tank lock system doesn't work with the FJ-09 unmodified due to the plastic trim piece on the FJ. I have not asked them yet to see if they are coming out with an adapter to correct this.
If you shim all 3 connection points, the filler cap will not open.
I modified the top connection point only by replacing the top bolt with a longer one and adding a rubber shim (about 2mm). This seems to be enough to allow the bag to attach properly (see adapter pics). Otherwise the 308 bag fits nicely on the tank.
I am also using the safety strap in case the bag comes loose, however, I have put about 80 miles on since attaching the bag and it is staying attached.

Hey Indyfjrider, thank you for the post and a solution. I also have the Givi X308. As I am based in Australia i do not have access to the Givi USA website it refers me to Givimoto to which it advises the correct tank lock flange is part No: BF23. Is that the one you used? Cheers
As of last month when I bought my X308 Givi did not have an FJ-09 fitment listed.  I used BF05, the one that fits all the other Yamahas on their fitment chart.  Rather than a rubber grommet I bought a handful of different length nylon spacers from my friendly neighborhood hardware store.  I can't recall what length I eventually used, maybe 10 or 15mm; they're cheap enough that it's not unreasonable to buy a set of them and see what works.  Unfortunately the spacer wasn't wide enough on its own to support the lock ring so I also had to use a larger washer on top of the spacer.  If the washer was large enough for support it also interfered with opening the fill cap, but it was easy to grind that down flush with the lock ring.  No problem, and only a few minutes' work. 
I found that this arrangement worked ok with the stock spacers on the other two mount points but I had several cases where it didn't properly lock and it came unlocked while moving when I put some pressure on the bag.  (Glad I used the safety strap!)  I thought at first that I hadn't had quite enough clearance up front, but as configured I had about 1mm clearance -- the bag never touches the tank fascia.  It turned out that with the lock ring angled up the curve of the bag now causes it to touch the tank at the back, rather than floating above it.  If you push it enough it will lock properly, but it wasn't always easy to tell if it was correctly locked.

To fix that I added 0.5mm washers on top of the other two stock spacers.  I can't say it entirely fixes the problem but it's certainly a heck of a lot better, and they weren't thick enough to interfere with the tank filler.  (If they had been I would have notched the lock ring.)

It really is a game of half millimeters, tiny changes make a big difference to the function.

If Givi has come out with an official solution I'll certainly look at it, but I've been happy with the spacer-and-washers hack.  It doesn't even look too bad.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
As of last month when I bought my X308 Givi did not have an FJ-09 fitment listed.  I used BF05, the one that fits all the other Yamahas on their fitment chart.
So I just hit giviusa.com and it still doesn't show a fitment for the FJ-09.  givimoto.com's UK site does show the BF23.  I spent awhile hitting known retail sites and with Google and wasn't able to find any US vendor who had it in stock (although admittedly I couldn't possibly have checked everyone).  Twisted Throttle doesn't even list it.  Revzilla and several others list it as "backordered". 
I'd love to hear from someone who has tried a BF23 to see what's different about it.  Taller lock ring flange, maybe?  The diagrams aren't clear.

For now what I have works fine, so I'll check back in a few months from now.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I have the BF23 and an X308, and it fits perfectly. The flange is much deeper, so it sits above the black plastic surround at the top of the tank.

The bag sits nicely on the tank, and when I'm back from holiday next wee I'll post some pics.

G70

I have the BF23 and an X308, and it fits perfectly. The flange is much deeper, so it sits above the black plastic surround at the top of the tank. 
The bag sits nicely on the tank, and when I'm back from holiday next wee I'll post some pics.

G70
Hi Guernsey70, thank for the post and feedback. That's great news. Have a great holiday and look forward to the pic. Cheers

As of last month when I bought my X308 Givi did not have an FJ-09 fitment listed.  I used BF05, the one that fits all the other Yamahas on their fitment chart.
So I just hit giviusa.com and it still doesn't show a fitment for the FJ-09.  givimoto.com's UK site does show the BF23.  I spent awhile hitting known retail sites and with Google and wasn't able to find any US vendor who had it in stock (although admittedly I couldn't possibly have checked everyone).  Twisted Throttle doesn't even list it.  Revzilla and several others list it as "backordered". 
I'd love to hear from someone who has tried a BF23 to see what's different about it.  Taller lock ring flange, maybe?  The diagrams aren't clear.

For now what I have works fine, so I'll check back in a few months from now.

I have followed up in Aust and they advised stock is also on back order and approx 6 week wait. I will keep you posted and as soon as I can get my hands on one I will let everyone know.

• 4 weeks later...
I never liked strapped bags because they tend to rub the paint. I use an old Tourmaster Cortech magentic tank bag from probably 15 years ago. Expandable and great for day trips. It also stays put up to and over 100 MPH. Not sure what the current version of this bag is today, but with 4 magnets touching the tank it's pretty solid.

This is the closest I could find to what I use. Similar size although the side wings on mine are smaller and only have 1 magnet each. I would think this would stick to the tank better. And no straps to mess with.

http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Master-Select-Magnetic-Motorcycle/dp/B009214SPQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1434405693&sr=8-5&keywords=tourmaster+magnetic+tank+bag&pebp=1434405827243&perid=500B10AB87934221BD84

Archived