Tank bag ideas?

I think the Yamaha tank ring is over complicated. It was designed primarily to compensate for the plastic covers over the tank forward of the filler. The SW Motech solution is a spacer between the bag and the mounting on the bag. Works well and looks neater than the Yamaha ring.
I always ride with the tank bag on so the look of the bracket and ring is not so important.  The Yamaha EU part also makes the top of the bag level so that nothing falls out when you open the bag.  I think the City Bag looks better level and not tipped back.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Yamaha tank ring is over complicated. It was designed primarily to compensate for the plastic covers over the tank forward of the filler. The SW Motech solution is a spacer between the bag and the mounting on the bag. Works well and looks neater than the Yamaha ring. 

I imagine the Yamaha ring would be a sight with the bag off. But agree, it would be nice having the bag level for both appearance and function.   
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
I always ride with the tank bag on so the look of the bracket and ring is not so important.  The Yamaha EU part also makes the top of the bag level so that nothing falls out when you open the bag.  I think the City Bag looks better level and not tipped back.
I use a SW Motech Engage bag. It follows the curve of the tank but the top is level and nothing falls out. It replaced a Bagster bag that had the problem - every time I opened it something would fall out. I am very pleased with the SW Motech bag.

I drove my Toyota waterproof enclosed transport down to one of my local dealers today. Fortunately this one stays open seven days a week and tried the Cortech Super 2.0 18 L Sloped magnetic tank bag on a floor model for size. Fit was nice and the bag is reasonably level on the tank. The lower rear magnets have to wrap down and around the tanks curvature and almost didn't contact the tanks metal @ the rear side of the bag. But a small amount of adjustment with some pulling and the material was able to stretch just enough to stick well. As with other magnetic bags, there's several magnets along the bottom of the main compartment also. No magnet located below the carry handle on a flap sticking out which is better on the FJ's tank as the plastic trim there makes that location a useless place for a magnet. I did notice the new Super 2.0 series deletes the small pocket on the rear of the bag just above the carry handle and the front eye glass zippered pouch. My previous model Super 14L, not the 2.0 series, has the small pocket and the eye glass pouch. The deleted pocket is a nice place to store hearing protection, small garage door opener and various other small items allowing quick access on the previous models.  The new 18 L relocated a small zippered pouch on the front of the bag where the older 14 L has an eye wear storage pouch. The 2.0 series includes a visor storage sheath but seems to be the replacement for the rear zippered pocket and the front zippered eye wear pocket. I'm not so sure I'd like losing pockets for the sheath. I just keep my spare visor in a helmet cloth which supports two purposes. This is a nice size for the FJ-09 IMO but for myself, I'd miss the rear pocket and maybe a designated place to keep my sunglasses which seems to be a feature harder to find these days. .  

l3X2pLZ.jpg?1

ghXsSXQ.jpg?1

aUKvIsK.jpg?1

Too bad all the faster Matte Gray FJ's were sold or I'd have photos of that color also. :)

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Definitely the nicest looking bag out there but also might be the priciest. 50 bucks for the flange? Jesus. Plus you have to drill it out? I want to love that bag i am just not in love with the price. Convince me. :)

SW Motech has a small tank ring bag that looks fantastic and fits the contour of the bike. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-engage-evo-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system. 44d764fdc784671cd1dcb8e28ac78c70.jpgc80c478066d7b9a350553c48b3d949c3.jpg

2016 FJ09

• Premium Member
Definitely the nicest looking bag out there but also might be the priciest. 50 bucks for the flange? Jesus. Plus you have to drill it out? I want to love that bag i am just not in love with the price. Convince me. :) 

SW Motech has a small tank ring bag that looks fantastic and fits the contour of the bike. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-engage-evo-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system. 44d764fdc784671cd1dcb8e28ac78c70.jpgc80c478066d7b9a350553c48b3d949c3.jpg
Two things-It's only money, and if you shop around you can find a good price, and it looks like it was made for the bike. Had mine since I bought the bike new in '15 and never looked back. Here's my review, and directions to the dealer in Calgary that I bought it from.  http://fj-09.org/user/623/recent?page=24 

• Premium Member
Like it. But.....

No map pocket....

That's a deal breaker for me.........

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Does that SW Motech bag pictured above contact the surface of the fuel tank at all, such as from the tank ring back to the tank?
Does not touch the painted surfaces (bag is still new... might eventually make contact but unlikely). Depending on how you mount it onto the ring (best to download and look over instructions from their site) it may touch the black plastic collar/trim in the front, and the black plastic bit at the seat end of the tank.
When I drilled the holes for mine, I had the template as far aft as it would go. Doesn't touch anywhere. Also strongly recommend drilling the security hole in the template.....just in case you forget to re-snap the release tab, and have it caught underneath the bag. 

• Premium Member
Like it. But..... 
No map pocket....

...that was important to me too, and there is an optional map pocket (letter sized page) that attaches. I bought one with the bag.
Ooooo! Now we're talking....... 8-)  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Ooooo! Now we're talking....... 8-)
...yeah, but full disclosure... i read somewhere (after I bought it, of course) that although top and bottom surfaces are water proof/resistant, the zipper fabric is not and can soak up water. I am planning to spray it with some kind of sealing agent and go enjoy life.
Shouldn't be an issue if you use the rain cover?  (Assuming the rain cover doesn't fit with the optional map holder installed?)

• Premium Member
Like it. But..... 
No map pocket....

...that was important to me too, and there is an optional map pocket (letter sized page) that attaches. I bought one with the bag.

I did this too it's kind of strange but it is big and it works.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

IMG_20170327_152157.jpg

IMG_20170327_152210.jpg

Sold my large Givi bag and ended up with this 5/10 liter Cortech and I love the fit. I didn't need something big and it had to fit with this smaller metal tank compared to the FJR. I am happy with my purchase.

2016 FJ09

Archived