• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Anyone looking for a new 2017 FJ-09

stopped in my local Yammie dealer today to get some oil filters.  They have a new 2017 FJ-09, list $10,699, tagged at $8,998.  Montgomeryville Cycle Center in Hatfield, PA.  Blue color, don't know if that's a good deal or not but thought I'd pass on the info.

I'll give my conflicting opinion....first it's really NOT that good of a deal IMO. Frankly, I'd be inclined to let it sit there. I went in there a few weeks ago looking to buy their GT sitting in stock in their delivery room and the sales guy basically blew me off, wouldn't give me an ounce of info on it and said he has no idea when they'll put it out.

I noticed the 2017 priced @ 8,400 over the summer and asked him how willing they would be to go back to that price and you would have thought I was asking him to provide me with his first born because he gave me a look and was like....well I "suppose" I could check if you're actually interested. He came back about 10 minutes later and was like...we could probably do something.

I was very interested in the GT and went as far as putting in an online request to purchase the GT from them.....heard NOTHING. I probably would own that 2017 at this point in time if the sales guy had actually treated me like a potential customer rather than someone who was bothering him and should stop asking him questions. Couldn't I see he was servicing the zero customers in the store at that time?

Moral of the story is I ended up buying my GT a few days later from somewhere else. I was inclined to contact whoever owned MC and provide that feedback but frankly it wasn't worth my time or effort.

P.S. - None of you have a RED tracer in Quakertown by chance do you? I saw one over by the Karlton a few days ago. It would be great to meet up for a ride smiley.png
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

I'll give my conflicting opinion....first it's really NOT that good of a deal IMO. Frankly, I'd be inclined to let it sit there. I went in there a few weeks ago looking to buy their GT sitting in stock in their delivery room and the sales guy basically blew me off, wouldn't give me an ounce of info on it and said he has no idea when they'll put it out. 
I noticed the 2017 priced @ 8,400 over the summer and asked him how willing they would be to go back to that price and you would have thought I was asking him to provide me with his first born because he gave me a look and was like....well I "suppose" I could check if you're actually interested. He came back about 10 minutes later and was like...we could probably do something.

I was very interested in the GT and went as far as putting in an online request to purchase the GT from them.....heard NOTHING. I probably would own that 2017 at this point in time if the sales guy had actually treated me like a potential customer rather than someone who was bothering him and should stop asking him questions. Couldn't I see he was servicing the zero customers in the store at that time?

Moral of the story is I ended up buying my GT a few days later from somewhere else. I was inclined to contact whoever owned MC and provide that feedback but frankly it wasn't worth my time or effort.

P.S. - None of you have a RED tracer in Quakertown by chance do you? I saw one over by the Karlton a few days ago. It would be great to meet up for a ride smiley.png
With a lifetime in the retailing industry I reckon I understand customer service pretty well.   IMO, although of course there are (rare) exceptions, 'bike retailers are about the worst.    
It would have been a waste of time and effort, as you suggest, to contact the business owner, for if he hadn't bothered to train his employee properly in the first place he, too, would roll his eyes dismissively at the thought of someone wanting to spend thousands with him!   

My own recent experience of getting zero response from a local dealer about the GT mirrored yours exactly.   After I complained I got some cock-and-bull story about why my on-line dealer's website "contact us" enquiry didn't supply an answer, which was simply seeking news of when they expected the GT to arrive.

I wasn't asking about tech details, pricing, colour options, whatever, simply - when?   My original enquiry also mentioned that I had bought two (2) new Tracers from that dealership, so they should have realised that I wasn't a time-wasting tyre-kicker.

The apology of a salesman who phoned me in response then promised he would contact me as soon as he knew; of course, he hasn't, but his offsider who I spoke to yesterday did know and was also able give me some info about pricing.   

I simply wouldn't have guys like this first bloke working in any business I owned!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

That's interesting. I went into the dealer that is closest to me (about 2 miles) to look at the new GT. It was jammed into a row of other bikes and I didn't want to roll it into the isle myself. I stood there looking around and staring at it for a good 15-20 minutes, in my gear mind you. No one ever approached me. Sure I could of sought out someone for help, but why should I have to. So I walked out, rode about 10 miles to the next closest Yamaha dealer and ended up buying the Tracer from them that same day. Because they were helpful and attentive.

• Supporting Member

P.S. - None of you have a RED tracer in Quakertown by chance do you? I saw one over by the Karlton a few days ago. It would be great to meet up for a ride smiley.png.  
    Gerdawg, I guess I'm lucky they blew you off. That was the Tracer I traded my S1000rr in on. Enjoy your new ride!

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
I hate dealerships, until I love them.

When I was looking to buy my '15 FJ-09, I called the closest Yamaha dealer and said "I want to buy a Red Yamaha FJ-09, do you have one in stock? I'll come buy it today. I expected to pay full price (as was common when the bike first came out) He said, yes, come on down. I had my wife drive me to the dealership, only to find out that they didn't have a red one at all. Upon asking the sales guy where the bike was he told me he had 30 minutes before, he just shrugged. He tried to get me to come back the following week, because he "Really would have one by then", but I went home called a few other dealers, and bought from the next closest dealership. I also called to have this dealer fix the handle bar recall issue, and was told it would take 9 months to schedule the work. I was able to get into the dealership where I bought my bike in 2 weeks, and was able to wait while they did the work.

In the following 3 years, I have largely avoided the dealership closest to me because of the poor experience, but about 9 months ago, I started going there for parts, accessories, etc. I built a relationship with their parts manager, and he has gone out of his way to help me on more than a few occasions.

I'm not in the market for a new bike, but If I were, I would likely go back and give them another shot. I do envy those that have a great Yamaha dealership close by, but it seems many of them are not so great!

I hate dealerships, until I love them. 
I'm not in the market for a new bike, but If I were, I would likely go back and give them another shot. I do envy those that have a great Yamaha dealership close by, but it seems many of them are not so great!
Many of them, here in Oz at least, are pathetic.   I walked into a large Yamaha dealership just yesterday hoping to see the new GT.   It was around mid-day, and all that I could see were six - I counted 'em - employees gathered around and leaning on the spares counter at the back of the store.   I strolled around looking for the GT, and still nobody approached me.   Utterly hopeless and they don't deserve to be in business!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Congrats on the bike!! I hope it treats you well. If you ever wanted to try the CALSCI Shield let me know. I might be selling the tall just to try something else. Either way you'd be welcome to check them out and see if they work for you. 
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Archived