• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

900GT Top Case mounting

vtwin996

Hi, I have the larger of the 2 Yamaha top boxes available in the uk, it takes2 full face lids on their sides. It fits directly onto the top rack mounting which moves the pillion handles outwards. Takes seconds to remove with ignition key , It is waterproof and well made. Yamaha recommendation is not used in conjunction with side cases but I ignore that and just keep speed down when fully loaded, other half loves the back rest pad ! 

• Premium Member

I have the Yamaha topcase too. Mine has its own key and doesn’t use the ignition key. I wish it did, though!

i do like the case as well. My 14 year old says he doesn’t need the backrest pad, luckily. 

15 hours ago, 3sum said:

I have the Yamaha topcase too. Mine has its own key and doesn’t use the ignition key. I wish it did, though!

i do like the case as well. My 14 year old says he doesn’t need the backrest pad, luckily. 

Disassemble the case lock, insert your ignition key into lock barrel, grind down any protruding tumblers while the key remains in the lock, reassemble lock, toss the case key in the trash.

• Thumbsup 3

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 2:09 PM, gv550 said:

I have the Yamaha 50L top case and it mounts directly to the Yamaha luggage rack. No adaptor needed.

Is the 50L top box waterproof ?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect but similar to my questions about the Yamaha top rack. I went to order today here in Australia but as with everywhere it has the warning about not using it with the Yamaha side cases. Or if it is used keep weight down. 
Is this because of its 4 mounting points or some other reasons ?

Is it the same for using a Givi or Shad setup as they do mount differently than the Yamaha setup. 

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, OLDESTP said:

Sorry to resurrect but similar to my questions about the Yamaha top rack. I went to order today here in Australia but as with everywhere it has the warning about not using it with the Yamaha side cases. Or if it is used keep weight down. 
Is this because of its 4 mounting points or some other reasons ?

Is it the same for using a Givi or Shad setup as they do mount differently than the Yamaha setup. 

@OLDESTP, it has to do with the weight and how far back it is positioned on the bike. Just use a little common sense and you will be fine. Other wise your GT will be real wheelie prone, our bike are very light on the front wheel as it is. 

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

Just use a little common sense and you will be fine.

Exactly this...  I have the factory Yamaha saddlebags and rear rack on my Gen 1 FJ, and everything fits & works fine together.  While I don’t use a top box on my bike, I’ve had zero issues with things I’ve tied down on the rack over the years.   Just don’t put excessive amounts of weight too far back and up - and keep the speeds down to reasonable levels -  and you’ll be fine.   

Thanks for the replies, I thought as much. I will still go with the Yamaha rack and take is easy on the weight. I don’t normally overload my top box as it normally only carries my rain gear, drink etc. Just no cartons of beer...

On 11/11/2019 at 2:38 PM, OLDESTP said:

Thanks for the replies, I thought as much. I will still go with the Yamaha rack and take is easy on the weight. I don’t normally overload my top box as it normally only carries my rain gear, drink etc. Just no cartons of beer...

I have factory panniers and 50 litre top case. I did a 6200 kilometer trip with bike fully loaded including top case. Tried to keep lighter items in top case. had no problems with sustained 90 miles per hour interstate runs and the occasional 120 MPH passing transport trucks. Just test the load a little at a time you  will know when it is too much. I found the bike stable enough without any issues. I will pack lighter nest time though. I only used half of what I brought with me.

• Thumbsup 1

makes riding pillion change from about the least fun thing to do, to relaxing.

having ridden pillion once to get back home from having flat tire on my bmw 60 / 2, i have always been  amazed that anyone would actually do it by choice.