900GT Top Case mounting

vtwin996

I bought the luggage rack for the 900GT and use it to carry a soft bag when touring solo. When doing day trips with my wife I want a top case (mainly for the back rest for her). Does anyone know if the top cases advertised on the Yamaha web site fit directly on their Yamaha aftermarket luggage rack or is there some other mounting plate required?
  • Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have any experience with the Givi mount ? I have a Givi plate and top box that has been through 2 bikes and is a good set up. It looks like the plate will be higher on the Tracer 900 GT than my last 2 rides and I was hoping someone would have tried this combination so I could find out before buying.

Thanks,

S.S.56

• Supporting Member
Does anyone have any experience with the Givi mount ? I have a Givi plate and top box that has been through 2 bikes and is a good set up. It looks like the plate will be higher on the Tracer 900 GT than my last 2 rides and I was hoping someone would have tried this combination so I could find out before buying. 
Thanks,

S.S.56
 I have the Yamaha accessory rear rack and the Givi universal mount with a Givi 30L aluminum top case on my GT. No problem with the mount or height on my bike with this configuration if that helps.   

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
SS56, I also have the Givi Monokey plate and a Givi 30L Dolomiti aluminum case mounted on a SW-Motech rack vice a Yamaha rack.  No problems with install, height or utility.  My 2 cents...

Topbox-2.jpg

Topbox-3.jpg
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The side cases are identical to the FJR's side cases. Totally waterproof. The only difference is the lids. The GT's lids are flat limiting the volume to 22 liters. The dome shaped lids on the FJR's side cases expand the volume to 30 liters. I own both bikes and the bags are interchangeable.

has anybody ridden some distance through the rain ? wondering if the sidecases are waterproof?

I did. They're waterproof.

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

I have a a Yamaha rack, which fits very easily and neatly in place of the pillion grab handles with just 4 bolts and I think looks good. I have a Yamaha 39lt top case which fits directly to the rack without the need of any other plates or adapters. The case is an ok size for me, it will take a full face helmet and gloves etc.. It seems to be a well made top case and has been watertight. I used this case with the panniers that came with the bike on a 2000 mile trip around Scotland and had no issues what so ever. I always tend to keep the weight in the top box quite low.   I know Yamaha say that a top case and panniers should not be used together. 
  • Thumbsup 1

I have a a Yamaha rack, which fits very easily and neatly in place of the pillion grab handles with just 4 bolts and I think looks good. I have a Yamaha 39lt top case which fits directly to the rack without the need of any other plates or adapters. The case is an ok size for me, it will take a full face helmet and gloves etc.. It seems to be a well made top case and has been watertight. I used this case with the panniers that came with the bike on a 2000 mile trip around Scotland and had no issues what so ever. I always tend to keep the weight in the top box quite low.   I know Yamaha say that a top case and panniers should not be used together. 
Hey murf, could you post some pics please? I'd like to see how this set-up looks (I haven't yet decided whether to put a top box on my GT as the back end looks high so have always thought a top box would look ridiculously so). 
Cheers
Steve