900GT Top Case mounting

vtwin996

This is my Yamaha 50 litre top case on the Yamaha rack. Definitely not the typical 'street glide' look but then I don't wear the typical pirate costume either! ?
image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

SS56, I also have the Givi Monokey plate and a Givi 30L Dolomiti aluminum case mounted on a SW-Motech rack vice a Yamaha rack.  No problems with install, height or utility.  My 2 cents... 

Topbox-2.jpg

Topbox-3.jpg

what rack EXACTLY you use. it seems that its the older alu-rack... the reason i am asking is that for tracer 900 gt, sw motech released a different product called ADVENTURE RACK that doesnt need any universal plate, just a mounting kit for every brand topcase (shad 1/2, givi, sw motech etc)... i have e-mailed to them if they plan to release the new rack for the older models and they responded negatively. if the older rack suits exaclty to the new model, then vice versa, the new rack will fit the older tracer - fj09 (2015-2017) 

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

• Supporting Member
Kemmotar, that is indeed the older Alu-Rack from SW-Motech.  When I bought it from Twisted Throttle, it was listed as fitting the 2017 FJ-09, so I took a chance and ordered it (there was nothing listed for the 900 GT at the time).  Hardware, rails and rack fit just fine EXCEPT . . . the mounting tabs that bolt under the seat are aligned 90 degrees to the bike's centerline as opposed to aligning to the GT's factory-angled cutouts in the plastic side panels.  I trimmed the factory cutouts with a utility knife to make the fit-up and never looked back.  I bolted up the Monokey adapter plate, installed my V46, then ordered and installed my 30L Dolomiti top box.  Been running that ever since.  The rails and rack are very robust and fit my commuting needs to a tee.

This is what works for me.  Obviously, YMMV.

Best of luck.
  • Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, roadrash83 said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Givi mount ? I have a Givi plate and top box that has been through 2 bikes and is a good set up. It looks like the plate will be higher on the Tracer 900 GT than my last 2 rides and I was hoping someone would have tried this combination so I could find out before buying. 
Thanks,

S.S.56

I have the Yamaha accessory rear rack and the Givi universal mount with a Givi 30L aluminum top case on my GT. No problem with the mount or height on my bike with this configuration if that helps.   

Rash, any way you could provide some pictures of your setup? I want to go with the Yamaha rack and a Givi topcase but would like to see a picture or two before dropping the money on it. 

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, Chris Pope said:

Rash, any way you could provide some pictures of your setup? I want to go with the Yamaha rack and a Givi topcase but would like to see a picture or two before dropping the money on it. 

Chris, I'm too stupid to post pics on the forum. But if you PM me your cell phone # I will send you a bunch of pics of the setup.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

Chris, I'm too stupid to post pics on the forum. But if you PM me your cell phone # I will send you a bunch of pics of the setup.

PM sent. 

On 10/27/2018 at 9:09 AM, gv550 said:

I have the Yamaha 50L top case and it mounts directly to the Yamaha luggage rack. No adaptor needed.

Care to share thoughts/ experience/ pics of having a 50L Yammie case?

I really want the 50L so I can store 2 helmets but am wondering about drag or if will be somewhat oversize for the bike. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Bimbim18 said:

I really want the 50L so I can store 2 helmets but am wondering about drag or if will be somewhat oversize for the bike. 

I can’t give any real world experience yet since I just got mine Thursday, but I’ve got a few pictures of the 50L mounted up. 

Well, I tried but yet again, the pictures I take from my phone are too large of an attachment to send in here. 

1 hour ago, Bimbim18 said:

I run a Yamaha 50L and love it. If it holds what you want it to hold, it's not oversize. I run mine with saddlebags to whatever speed I want to ride and have not experienced any ill effects. The 50L has been so useful that I now leave it on all the time and it is the first case I open to store or carry stuff. 

2 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

See my photos above, posted Nov 26. The lock and latches work fine, my bride says it makes a good backrest, and I haven't noticed any handling affects up to 115 mph. But..... no way, no how will it hold  2 full face helmets.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted an SW Motech Adventure rack to the back of my GT this morning, with the rack you can buy adaptors that will allow you to mount any manufactures cases (GIVI Monokey/Monolock, Shad and others)

Took about an hour to fit, it replaces the rear grab handles and uses the same boltholes.

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/atHU2fYTsH

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/Fx0LUiygkU

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/sO5kSMZvXy

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, mickey63 said:

Fitted an SW Motech Adventure rack to the back of my GT this morning, with the rack you can buy adaptors that will allow you to mount any manufactures cases (GIVI Monokey/Monolock, Shad and others)

Took about an hour to fit, it replaces the rear grab handles and uses the same boltholes.

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/atHU2fYTsH

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/Fx0LUiygkU

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/sO5kSMZvXy

Oh I like the look of that!

Many Thanks for sharing MIckey63 I think I'll get one of those, it looks like it brings the box 'forward' compared to some other racks (which I like).

Cheers

Steve