Seeking Insight : Pulsating Sensation

Tried searching for this, but came up empty handed. Before I bring it into the dealer for inspection, figured maybe some of you would know what my issue might be.

I recently went on an 800 mile ride, and during the ride, I started feeling a sensation in the handlebars, similar to what feels like running over the rumble strip. Its very prominent in the higher MPH's, especially once I get over 80mph. It'll occur for 2-3 seconds, then disappear for about 5 seconds, and then come back. It comes on soft, gets stronger, then fades away. Pretty sure its coming from the front end as I can feel it in the handlebars, but nothing in the saddle. I don't have the slightest clue what it could be. I do know that one of my lower fork seals has a small leak, not sure if this could be the culprit or not. I had my windscreen (Puig Touring) in the middle position, when I normally have it on the highest, but I don't think this would be the culprit. The bike is a 2015 with 15k miles. Any insight on the potential issue would be helpful! Thanks!

Sounds like suspension since you sprung a leak. It could be unbalanced front wheel or irregular worn front tire, is the front tire the original? I have the original front tire, does need to be replaced, and it is making all kinds of weird handling issues.
The tire is not original. It is a PR4, with about 4k miles on it. Tread wear doesn't appear to be an issue, even and still has about half its life. Could however be an unbalanced tire. I will check when I get home to see if a weight fell off. I keep the front inflated at 36psi. 

• Supporting Member
@zachd - Mine has started doing something very similar, and I suspect it has lost a wheel weight off the front. I’m also running PR4s, and have about 7,000 miles on the set. The rear is toast, and I’ll be replacing them as a pair, so I’m anticipating the vibration will go away with the fresh rubber. The pulsing starts getting noticeable about 85 mph, and gets progressively worse up into the 100 - 110 range. Mine is constant, however, and doesn’t come & go as you described... that is puzzling, since I would expect a balance issue to produce a steady vibration that increases with speed. I’ll let you know if the new tires ‘fix’ mine, although we may be chasing separate issues.

Good luck & keep us posted on what you find.

chain is okay? no tight spots?

my FZ-07 did this at random times due to a tight link...

another idea- pulled from the FZ-07 forum, is the chain guide on the swingarm still looking good?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

At 79 y.o I'd be very grateful for a pulsing sensation... shocked.png
Wordy:  He doesn't feel it in his seat/butt/groin, just his hands/grips/bars.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

At 79 y.o I'd be very grateful for a pulsing sensation... shocked.png
Wordy:  He doesn't feel it in his seat/butt/groin, just his hands/grips/bars.
that'd do...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I had the recall done when I got the notification.

I replaced the chain and front/rear sprockets about 2k miles ago with a D.I.D. I don't know how a tight link would come that soon? I will take a look at the chain and guide though .

Chain looks to be in good repair. I forgot the front tire does not have weights, it has the beads inside. So thats not an issue either. Chain guide looks in good shape. Running out of options here. May need to bite the bullet and bring it in

The rhythmic coming and going of the vibration at a slow cadence suggests to me that both wheels are a bit out of balance.
They both have slightly different circumferences, so they might be coming into both being in sync and then going out.
When both imbalances are matching directionally, you'd get a bigger vibration, then it would begin to ebb until they get in sync again.
Or electronics. That's magic.

Archived