Most suitable panniers

I have just been for my first tour on my Tracer 900 fitted with Givi E360 panniers and E460 topbox. I am finding that it feels nervous and unstable in side winds and had a violent 80mph wobble when passing a truck. The tyre pressures and suspension are fine and the Givi screen and handguards are ok, as the wobble is from the rear end.
The E360's do sit out a long way from the bike and make it very wide. Would fitting Givi V35/ Kappa V33 be a better option for this bike?
All comments and suggestions gratefully received.

Jon.

• Supporting Member
The tyre pressures and suspension are fine and the Givi screen and handguards are ok, as the wobble is from the rear end. 

What exactly do you mean by "fine" and "ok"?  What are your suspension settings? tire pressures?

There have been many discussions on higher speed "wobble" over the years with the FJ, some thoughts on contributing factors are oem handguards, larger touring screens, soft suspension, light front end etc.

The FJ / Tracer isnt the most aerodynamic bike (adding side bags and top box makes it worse) and having a light front end doesnt help with stability, however the longer swingarm on the Tracer should help. 

I am assuming that you have the stock shock which doesnt have ride height adjustment, so you could try putting more weight on the front by raising the forks in the triple clamps by 5-10mm.

Have you tried riding the same speeds on an empty road for comparison?

Large trucks create a lot of dirty (turbulent) air, there are times that you are going to get a wobble on the interstate no matter what you do.  I try to pass and ride in front of them if possible.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for your comments so far. I feel that the Givi E360's are physically too large for this bike.
The Givi V35 / Kappa K33 appears to look neater and tuck in tighter to the bike.
It may be interesting to get the overall widths for all the different panniers available.
Tracer_900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am finding that it feels nervous and unstable in side winds and had a violent 80mph wobble when passing a truck. The tyre pressures and suspension are fine and the Givi screen and handguards are ok, as the wobble is from the rear end. Jon.
Hi Jon,   all that luggage might be causing your bike to squat and have too much weight on the back and not enough on the front.   Try dialling up the preload on the rear and it might improve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

84-A387-DF-9614-4-F4-D-83-E6-12-C490-FF92-AA.jpg

My inspiration came from the homeless guy I saw running this pannier setup on his shopping cart. Easy on & off the bike with no additional hardware. Gravity closure and quick access to bag contents. Highly water resistant and converts to balaclava or boot liner.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

84-A387-DF-9614-4-F4-D-83-E6-12-C490-FF92-AA.jpg

What are you thinking ? A beautiful bike absolutely ruined by that tank bag. Probably not even waterproof. Just get rid of it and a gaffe tape a biscuit tin to the tank and add a bit of masking tape with sw-mucho cheque  written on it.  Also, you've misread the instructions. Hang the bags on the end of the handlebars. That way you can quickly access your cans of beer whilst riding. 

Archived