Tire Help!

So....I have about 7000 miles on my stock tires on 2015 fj09. 6000 of that since March, and it's getting dicey in the rain which we have had a lot of here in MD this year. Rear is to the bars and front is starting to cup slightly.

It's a daily commuter....so, where do you guys buy tires and what's the best "commuter" tire y'all have found? Angel GTs sound enticing, Metzler, Michelin?

I care about good all weather performance and longevity ...hard corners are sparse on my 75 daily miles.

Need this done soon, so fire away!

Thanks!

• Supporting Member
In no particular order of preference;

Pirelli Angel GT

Bridgestone Battlax T31

Michelin Road 5

Dunlop Roadsmart III

Current Tire Rebates - I wait until they have a rebate and then pick up 2 sets so I always have a fresh set waiting in the garage.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Great thread, thanks for the pointer....where do you guys prefer to buy?

I always use Rocky Mountain ATV/MC (in the link I provided above).  They price match if you find it cheaper elsewhere, offer account credit cash back and when you qualify for a rebate, they fill it out and submit it for you. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Pirelli Angel GT

Bridgestone Battlax T31

Michelin Road 5

Dunlop Roadsmart III

Current Tire Rebates - I wait until they have a rebate and then pick up 2 sets so I always have a fresh set waiting in the garage.

I love Rocky Mountain ATV. Awesome Tire rebates, fast shipping, amazing customer support. They are like Revzilla was before Cycle Gear bought them. @rtaylor522

They send in the Tire rebate for you when you buy, and then you get a mastercard gift card in the mail, tires end up being dirt cheap https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/l/Current-Tire-Offers?il_medium=main-tire-offers&il_source=home#motorcycle

Pirelli Angel GT

Bridgestone Battlax T31

Michelin Road 5

Dunlop Roadsmart III

I've ran all these tires (except the Road 5s) and absolutely love the Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I got an average of 8-9k miles out of a rear. I also got about 3k out of the stock tire, for a frame of reference. The wet grip performance was like no other tire I rode with. I'd do 90+ with wet roads, knowing I had PR4s on and I felt comfortable with the road condition.

• Supporting Member
Question:   Has anyone tried a mix & match of sport-touring rear with more of a super-sport front tire?   I'm thinking along the lines of a Michelin PR5 rear with a Power RS front.  I always replace tires in pairs, and I end up with a toasted rear and half-used front.

My current set of PR4s is done at around 7,000 miles.  I was planning to go with new PR5s, but this thought crossed my mind and I figured I would ask before mounting up a new pair of tires.  

Question:   Has anyone tried a mix & match of sport-touring rear with more of a super-sport front tire?   I'm thinking along the lines of a Michelin PR5 rear with a Power RS front.  I always replace tires in pairs, and I end up with a toasted rear and half-used front. 

What you are suggesting is fairly common among veteran riders. The front tire is what gives the bike it's turn-in feel. Sport front tires like the Pilot Power and Pilot Power 3 have more aggressive turn-in. Sport touring front tires like the Pilot Road 3 and 4 have more neutral profile and slower turn in. So mixing these tires front to back give the bike a more aggressive turn in but still offer good tire life. Some of the riders have even mixed brands front and rear with very good results. I don't have any experience with the RS up front so you are on your own. Try it. john