Necessary tools to work on your FJ or Tracer

redfjniner

(currently in construction)

This is a list of tools we need, to work on our FJ-09s and Tracers.  I will start from the Manual and what I use.  Anyone that has a better tool or knows of ones I didn't cover, please let me know and I will add to this list.  I will note as "shop tool", and "bike tool kit".  As in shop tool would be a set of metric sockets, bike tool kit would be 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm sockets, etc., and then I will list "helpful tools".  I could use some help on all these, so post up suggestions and I will keep this first post up to date.

Buy this if you don't have any mechanics tools for $56 at Lowes, then build from there:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/1000290623

Shop Tools:
Metric socket set with these:  6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 25, 27 (1-1/16 SAE).  I like deep set 6 point sockets for the smaller ones.
Socket wrench:  I like 6+" and an offset flex head 12+ inch, both 3/8" drive.
Drive extensions:  3" ,6" and 9".  Need all to get to the handle bar riser nuts.
Metric Allen set and/or hex key sockets that includes a 14mm for front wheel.
2 foot breaker bar:
Torque wrench:  10-100 ft. Lbs. min.
Phillips screw driver or JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdrivers I like adjustable handle to allow my weak hands to apply more torque and one to allow change of drive head.
Wrenchs:  8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17

Bike Tool Kit:
Metric sockets:  10, 12, 14, 17, I use the shallow sockets due to size.  Put on a bolt with nut.
1-1/16" box/open end wrench for axle nut.(1-1/16 fits tighter than a 27mm)
14 inch breaker bar
Metric x 3/8 hex key sockets + 14mm:  
6" x 3/8" socket wrench
Wrenchs:  10, 12, 12, 17

Helpful Tools:

When on the road, you can save $70+ on having a replacement tire installed if you can remove and mount your own tire.  If you plan on doing this, its not hard, but you must carry the right tools:  1-1/16" SAE 6 or 12 pt. wrench, 4, 5, 6, 14mm Allen or hex key sockets,  

For removing and reinstalling engine, you will need two special tools that can be made from flat bar stock.  See McGroovy's video: 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/24/2018 at 10:15 AM, koth442 said:

Axle is 27mm or 1-1/16", not 22mm.

Need to add 14mm allen to pull the front axle. 

I carry both a 14 mm combo open / box end wrench and 14 mm socket but a 14 mm hex key (Allen) is not necessary (though I  have one it provides poor leverage unless a spark plug socket or pipe is slipped over it for comfort) to remove the front axle.

Instead or in addition to I include in my on-bike tool kit a 3/8" - 16 TPI x 1-1/8" Coupling Nut (whose outer dimension/shape is a snug 14 mm hexagon), which nicely fits in the front axle to loosen it with a box wrench or socket; and is much more compact and easier to use  than a 14 mm hex key.  Available at your local Home Depot or equivalent...

20190330_093849.jpg

20190330_093856.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a mechanic-savvy but could be one with the right tools! Thanks to your insightful suggestion! They are helpful not just for newbie with tracer but for anyone who has old or new motorcycles! I would prefer buying a tool set so I don't have to canvass or look for each tool which could demand more time.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ditched the Phillips screwdrivers years ago and replaced them with JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdrivers, essential for owners of Japanese bikes. There's no going back after using these.

• Thumbsup 4

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, brindeld said:

I'm not a mechanic-savvy but could be one with the right tools! Thanks to your insightful suggestion! They are helpful not just for newbie with tracer but for anyone who has old or new motorcycles! I would prefer buying a tool set so I don't have to canvass or look for each tool which could demand more time.

Very few wrench types and sizes are practical to carry on the FJ / Tracer which is good but they are not all usually found together in one off the shelf tool kit.

• 2 months later...
"When on the road, you can save $70+ on having a replacement tire installed if you can remove and mount your own tire.  If you plan on doing this, its not hard, but you must carry the right tools:  1-1/16" SAE 6 or 12 pt. wrench, 4, 5, 6, 14mm Allen or hex key sockets," 

Might want to add tire irons, kinda tough to remove a tire without them.

Cheers

Edited by tinkerfreak

13 minutes ago, tinkerfreak said:
"When on the road, you can save $70+ on having a replacement tire installed if you can remove and mount your own tire.  If you plan on doing this, its not hard, but you must carry the right tools:  1-1/16" SAE 6 or 12 pt. wrench, 4, 5, 6, 14mm Allen or hex key sockets," 

Might want to add tire irons, kinda tough to remove a tire without them.

Cheers

There are alternatives to irons :) 

Of course tools to remove wheels are still useful and money saving in many cases when a tire swap is needed even if someone else actually spoons the rubber. My favorite shop has a tire machine but no other services so all installs are wheels off. And on road trips when a dealer already has commitments and I'm on a schedule it can get me on the road more quickly. 

On 5/19/2019 at 12:20 AM, Tony Doms said:

I ditched the Phillips screwdrivers years ago and replaced them with JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdrivers, essential for owners of Japanese bikes. There's no going back after using these.

I never heard of JIS screwdrivers until just now. I think I'll have to buy some, thank you!

'15 FJ09

• 1 year later...

I'm replacing the stock fork cartridges and springs on my 2019 Tracer with Ohlins. The NIX 30's have their own tool requirements. Question: if I'm essentially "gutting" the innards of the stock Yamaha fork tubes, re-using nothing, do I need to disassemble them? (remove springs using a compression tool) or can I just hold the assembly while removing the bottom cartridge bolt?

This is a one -shot deal so I'm reluctant to spend money on special tools that I'd never need again. I can make my own pull-up tool and cartridge wrench.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

I'm replacing the stock fork cartridges and springs on my 2019 Tracer with Ohlins. The NIX 30's have their own tool requirements. Question: if I'm essentially "gutting" the innards of the stock Yamaha fork tubes, re-using nothing, do I need to disassemble them? (remove springs using a compression tool) or can I just hold the assembly while removing the bottom cartridge bolt?

This is a one -shot deal so I'm reluctant to spend money on special tools that I'd never need again. I can make my own pull-up tool and cartridge wrench.

I would think that your assumption is correct, remove the bottom cartridge bolt and then remove and replace.  The only thing I would think you might need a special tool for is if the cartridge spins and needs a holding tool while removing the bolt, or if you need to replace the seals or bushings. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***