Seat and tank bag

Have recently purchased a Tracer 900GT.  I've ridden about 300 miles so far (mostly up Highway 20, the North Cascades Highway in WA state).  Previous bike was a BMW 1200RS.  

I find the seat very uncomfortable, too thin and narrow.  Anyone have any suggestions on an upgrade?

I want to add tank bag.  What suggestions do you have?  Thanks!

• Supporting Member
Have recently purchased a Tracer 900GT.  I've ridden about 300 miles so far (mostly up Highway 20, the North Cascades Highway in WA state).  Previous bike was a BMW 1200RS.   
I find the seat very uncomfortable, too thin and narrow.  Anyone have any suggestions on an upgrade?

Since you live in Washington, you could try Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston.  He made me a seat last September, I have since put about 20,000 miles on it and love it.
Just like custom suspension, I cant imagine any future bike I get not having a custom seat.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I bought the Yamaha Comfort seat, it is better than the OEM seat but still not good enough.  What I disliked most about the OEM seat was that it tilted forward.  The Comfort Seat also tilts forward, not as much as the OEM seat, but it is still a constant battle against gravity.  An aftermarket FJ09 seat will not fit the Tracer GT, at least the Sargent seat won't, I know from experience.

Sorry, I don't have a positive recommendation.  Yet.  I am still waiting on Sargent or Corbin to make one.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Supporting Member
I bought the Oxford Q4 quick release bag for my Tracer GT. The bag hasn't leaked in heavy run and cost less than $150.00 including the ring mount. This is not the largest bag they have, but I didn't want a bag that was so big it got in the way of the bars.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

Love Highway 20, especially the lookout at Ross Lake! I do that ride a lot, and it never gets old.....

After seeing the reports on the Sargent seat, I called them.  They claim that their seat should fit the 900GT.  So I ordered it.  We'll see.
There's a world of difference between 'will' and 'should'!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I found the seat a little thin as well after about 4 hours on the bike. Did a little ride from the Fraser Valley to Seaside OR for the night and after that decided to 'fix' the seat. I've always made my own seats so it was a quick trip to pick up some marine grade vinyl, tore the seat down, added some closed cell high density foam and voila, new seat. They're always perfect for me in the end and good for at least 8 hours in the saddle.

Usually takes me a couple hours to make, mostly fitting and shaping. If you have the time and inclination I say give it a try for yourself. High density camping mat (my favorite is the blue stuff at Canadian Tire), some spray glue, a rasp, hand held belt sander and a decent stapler is what you need. An air stapler is the best but there are some good electric ones around if you don't have an air supply. You might even try shaping the factory foam and adding here and there for a good fit. Might even be able to reuse the factory cover if you don't want to play around with new covers.

BTW, I love hwy 20 as well. I'm probably on that road more than any other during the summer. Love the diablo section.

• Premium Member
After seeing the reports on the Sargent seat, I called them.  They claim that their seat should fit the 900GT.  So I ordered it.  We'll see.
Give this thread a read. Not encouraging.
Yep, that was me on that other thread, the Sargent seat could not be installed on my GT.  Only UPS or FedEx will come out ahead on this one

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
I went to my local dealer today and they had an FJ09 with a Sargent seat, so I played swapping seats.  THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.  The FJ09 seat will not install on my Tracer GT, the peak in the front is too long.  My GT seat WILL install on the FJ09 and leaves a 2" gap against the tank. 

6148350.jpg  

6148351.jpg

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
OP....curious why you got rid of the 1200RS? I'm looking to buy a big ADV bike and dropping the FJ
Not the OP here, but I've had some BMW's.  The OP did not specify whether he had an R or a K bike, BMW has made both an R1200 RS and a K1200 RS.  The R is the boxer twin, the K is the laid down inline four called the "brick" which they stopped making in 2004.  Two very different engines. 
ADV bikes are the latest fad, you'll have lots of options to choose from.  I've seen some info that even HD is coming out with one!

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Archived