Cycle World 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT Long-Term Test

Not so much a motorcycle test, more of a travelogue with mobike touches.   But interesting. :)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Not so much a motorcycle test, more of a travelogue with mobike touches.   But interesting. smiley.png
In this era of shrinking ad revenue and page counts, it must be difficult to get a critical bike review past the Editor in Chief and Publisher.  Plus, these guys want to keep the bike for a year! 
I usually look to Motorcycle Consumer News for unbiased reviews (they don't accept advertising) but lately their content has gotten watered down and a bit weird.

The long slow demise of the print media I guess...

cb

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

In todays world or youtube, facebook, etc manufacturers don't need to rely on magazines to build up a hype. The reality is that in order for manufacturers to continue allowing journalists to gain access to their bikes they can't be too critical.

• 1 year later...

So an update to the story above has been published in the latest CW and the verdict is in:  Nick loves the GT and mods he's made to it.

One of the things he did which caused some comment on this board was a big change in gearing to favor high speed touring.

Here's his response to a question I asked him on the CW website re the specific effect of his gear change:

Nick Ienatsch (Guest):

Hi Chris...I gained about 10 mph at the same engine speeds. The sprocket sizes allowed me to keep the same chain length, so didn't have to mess with chains, and that was on purpose and helped by the folks at drivenracing...they have all that info on their website and were a great help. -NI

So on my FJ such a change would give me 4200 rpm at 70 mph vs. 5200 stock.

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

@nhchris - Remember that changing final drive gearing doesn't just alter your highway cruising speed, it affects every gear and rpm range.  Slower acceleration but higher top speed in his case.

I appreciate what Nick was trying to accomplish in his long multi-state highway ride but normal everyday riding, stoplight to stoplight, commuting, sporty riding etc. would suffer as a result.  

I have mine geared the opposite, quicker acceleration and lower top speed (higher rpm on the highway) and even so, there were several times this summer while riding in the higher elevations of the Rocky Mountains that I still needed to drop 2 gears to make a pass or accelerate up a steep grade/mountain pass. 

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

If I was doing hundreds of miles at a pop on the interstate every day I might consider the gear change or go back to a Gold wing. But the way I ride I would rather go the direction @betoney did. Nothing worse than having to down shift all the time to be in the power band. 

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Part 2 of the review has his 1/4 mile times.  After the flash and taller gear change he actually dropped his time by a small amount.  He did say he was beating the clutch for the launch.

Edited by nhchris
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, Ddog gt said:

Do you have to be a Subscribere To get these  articles. As I can not get  access to them on my iPad?

No.  I just went to www.cycleworld.com and it was the featured article on their main page.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***