rubber-topped front footpegs for MT-09 Tracer/ FJ-09

Eh, they're cheap enough that I'm fine with replacing them every two years.  They're not what I'd choose for adventure riding, as they're not grippy, but they're great for street riding and way more comfortable than the stockers.

I've run cheap pegs on a number of bikes I've thrashed waaaaay harder than I ever will my Tracer and never had one break.  

If you hit one in a direction it can't fold back from while riding, even slow, yeah it'll break for sure: you've got a massive amount of, er, mass behind that motion.  But they're not going to break from body weight.  They're every bit as sturdy as the stock pegs.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

I just can't bring myself to potentially trust my life to a $4.50 peg from China made from melted down who-knows-what.

Here's the description of the Yamaha adventure pegs I received:

"These foot pegs feature forged aluminum construction for strength and durability, replacing the stock foot pegs."

NOPE!!!  The pegs I received do not appear to be forged at all.  They have all the marks of items that were cast in a mold.  So apart from being  somewhat beefy, I'm not sure they are more sturdy than any other Chinese castings.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Satsteve said:

Ah, the cheap ones are definitely cast, you tell by the material exposed after they break.  But for the price, they were the best upgrade as far as value.  Saved the soles of my boots as well from getting gouged up by the stock pegs.

11 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

I just can't bring myself to potentially trust my life to a $4.50 peg from China made from melted down who-knows-what.

Yeah I thought about that before ordering them, but realized the Tracer is not an adventure bike, and that I won't be standing up ever.  Also expected them to be cast, not forged like a quality peg should be.  Risk/reward ratio seemed acceptable.  Cheers.

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, piotrek said:

About the pegs though... the rubber on the Chinese pegs hardened after two seasons and eventually tore under my feet... not good. Still have a set of these in the rear for the pillion, but have since replaced the front with Yamaha adventure.

Agree. There’s a company called yambit’s in uk, a lot of repro stuff for older bikes which is really helpful, but a lot of the ‘rubber’ has the same problem, it’s almost like plastic and has a short lifespan. I never ever buy aftermarket seals for that reason. My pegs have lasted though, maybe it’s the cooler climate ? 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Tripletrouble said:

My pegs have lasted though, maybe it’s the cooler climate ? 

Possibly... or just from a very old batch. I bought my pegs from Yamabits, and two years in... the rubber is in top shape, and it is replaceable too when needed. Comfortable, sure footed pegs.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 8/1/2020 at 12:17 AM, piotrek said:

Possibly... or just from a very old batch. I bought my pegs from Yamabits, and two years in... the rubber is in top shape, and it is replaceable too when needed. Comfortable, sure footed pegs.

I think for foot pegs the rubbers thick enough not to be a problem, and they were so cheap I never considered they did replacement rubber. Just be careful with fork seals though, one occasion where original is best, despite the price difference. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have also bought and installed a set of cheap rubber pegs, bought them locally (as the other 2 sets I ordered from eBay took almost 2 months to arrive only to discover I messed up, both were for passenger pegs).

I have noticed since that over 6K rpm the pegs vibrate quite uncomfortably (didn't notice that with stock pegs) and they also have a weirg lean angle ( a bit downwards which is good as they provide a better lean angle). Anyone else has these problems or is it a bad copy?

pegs.jpg